Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help request: anyone here have connections with PCNA...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

JCB - there is a reason why race sanctioning bodies insist on no anti-freeze, and cars have been racing long before the GT3 showed up here

When a GT3 blows a coolant line, it leaves a relatively thin line of fluid behind the rear wheels (usually). Dip your fingers in antifreeze and rub them together, then try with water, you'll notice the difference.

If you have done a few laps, your tires are hot and a thin film of water will have less grip than a dry surface but it can be managed. Remember the spill is not ten feet wide, only a foot or so. I don't know how much track time you have but those of us who race will stay on slicks if light rain falls AFTER the race starts because once hot, even slicks can grip if the surface is only damp. So hot tires and a bit of water - not a huge problem. Antifreeze is much slipperier than water which is why race cars are forbidden to use anything but water and an allowed anti corrosion additive like Water Wetter which protects the aluminum from corroding.

So the perfect fix is to get all the fittings welded/pinned/replaced etc. at a cost of thousands and if your dealer is nasty the warranty is void. Second best is to use something other than antifreeze which may also void the warranty but it can be easily changed

Maybe someone will come up with a better adhesive than the factory uses.. I hope so, it would be a simple fix.

Best,
Old 02-19-2012, 06:23 PM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks. And if it fails...it should never be the owners fault given the ca ca engineering involved. Ford and Chevy would cover this issue (an the NHTSA would nail them on it).

I have about 18 DE days and some other non-PCA days (probably 4). Not guru like most here, but I know my limits and listen to my instructors - and have nothing to prove. It is a hobby not a sport to me. I like to watch races and root for Porsche teams in general.

My car gets used in sub 32F weather....and I do believe in the idea of drive to the track, do the DE, drive home. Fun, no trailer, no tow vehicle, no dozens of tires. Just fun. I leave the racing to others. My instructor, who has done the Daytona 24 in a cup car and finished, feels that this is the way to go now....he drives to a track, does the DE, drives home. He has a brand new GT3 that is sex on wheels.

Anway, I have been at VIR in the rain, Pocono in the rain, some Florida tracks in the rain...it rains hard there...., and Putnam in the rain...so water is not something that I am worried about. It is the sudden delta if I am at 8/10ths.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 02-19-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, water wetter is almost as slippery as coolant, except it's in a much smaller portion. 95% water and 5% water wetter is nowhere near as slippery as 50% water 50% coolant.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And FYI I have had cars puke oil or coolant in front of me, and the results are truly unpredictable. Sometimes you kiss a spill and spin out instantly, other times you can drive through a puddle and still make the next corner without drama. It just all depends on so many factors. All you can do is drive the car.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

New twist to this issue. My car was one of the cars damaged at Mid-Ohio last Fall. I was 1 of 4 cars that ended up in the gravel trap and slid into a turbo. As noted in the 'Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Registry' the coolant was laid down by de old gray wolf? After paying north of $15000 out of pocket for my own damages plus the loss of value when I traded it for the GTS I have now been hit by the other guy's insurance for $19000 plus.

This puts a new spin on watering down the track. I'm exploring all of my options.

2011 Carrera GTS Black/Black - PDK, LSD plus other items which didn't matter to me.

Gone - 09 Carrera S 6 Spd/Black/Black/19" ForgeLine GA3, Tarett Drop Links, Camber Plates, Adjustable Rear Toe Links, Damptronics, Center Radiator, Tubi Cat Back, GMG Dog bones, GMG WC Roll bar post48.html[/url]

From the 996GT3 forum....so for the guys thinking bringing this up is whining.... Bob, there are some guys on that forum that say when 5 gallons of even just water end up in a corner "all of a sudden" the trip may not be that easy....

I defer to others, but I might be one to go into a wall if that happened right in front of me. Not everyone at a DE is in the instructor group.......and the guys at OVR who crashed were good drivers.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
New twist to this issue. My car was one of the cars damaged at Mid-Ohio last Fall. I was 1 of 4 cars that ended up in the gravel trap and slid into a turbo. As noted in the 'Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Registry' the coolant was laid down by de old gray wolf? After paying north of $15000 out of pocket for my own damages plus the loss of value when I traded it for the GTS I have now been hit by the other guy's insurance for $19000 plus.

This puts a new spin on watering down the track. I'm exploring all of my options.

2011 Carrera GTS Black/Black - PDK, LSD plus other items which didn't matter to me.

Gone - 09 Carrera S 6 Spd/Black/Black/19" ForgeLine GA3, Tarett Drop Links, Camber Plates, Adjustable Rear Toe Links, Damptronics, Center Radiator, Tubi Cat Back, GMG Dog bones, GMG WC Roll bar post48.html[/url]

From the 996GT3 forum....so for the guys thinking bringing this up is whining.... Bob, there are some guys on that forum that say when 5 gallons of even just water end up in a corner "all of a sudden" the trip may not be that easy....

I defer to others, but I might be one to go into a wall if that happened right in front of me. Not everyone at a DE is in the instructor group.......and the guys at OVR who crashed were good drivers.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
Thanks.

I say fix them all...to be safe. Fundamentally a bad design. PAG should do the right thing worldwide....IMHO.

Jeff
Do the right thing worldwide ... why, what's wrong?
How many have failed worldwide?
Any deaths yet?
Any other lawsuits pending?
Have you been following the "progress" for the Cayenne cracked coolant tube class action?
How much does it mean to you?
Are you simply sounding the alarm bell and asking someone else to spend the money and time on your behalf?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,009 Likes on 603 Posts

What this thread seems like to me:
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Help request: anyone here have connections with PCNA...