Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
BTW what RaceStudio configuration did you use to get your SoloDL working? OBD-CAN? OBD-ISO?
my car is a 997.1 C2 - it has bosch ECU and for CAN it uses 997-gt3 config.

for smartycam which used ODB2 cable connection it was (if I am not mistaken)configured with 'ECU manufacturer'='ODB__II' and 'ECU Model'=ISO9141_2.

did you try those settings with your ODB2 cable? you can try different submodels under 'ODB_II' ECU.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Question 996 SOLO DL Install experience?

Hey folks - thanks again for all the back and forth - really helped make an informed decision.
So at last - customs delay - my SOLO DL arrived just in time as my next track time is next Wednesday .... which is nice.

Has anyone installed on a 996 GT3 (shd be a Bosch ECU)? Utkinpol did an awesome job with his closeups, details and explanation on the 997 - can you top it?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind

Has anyone installed on a 996 GT3 (shd be a Bosch ECU)?
Yep! AiM's great guide here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa....8_104_eng.pdf

I have gotten what I need from the pin 36/37 of the ECU under the parcel shelf in several 2004 996 GT3s
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks Peter!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’m trying to decide between a Solo and Solo DL. I might get the DL if I can get useful and reliable info (rpm, throttle, etc) from the sensors in my car which is an older car (1999 Boxster 986). What I haven’t been able to fully determine is:
  1. What data can I reliably get via the ODB connector in my car? I’ve read some people report finding that ODB data is slow, nonexistent, and/or incorrect (in newer cars than mine). Does anyone know for sure what I could expect on a Solo DL via ODB on a 99 Boxster?
  2. Is CAN or other access directly from the ECU even possible in my car?
I posed one of my questions to AIM tech support and got this back. As you’ll see they haven’t fully tested back to 99 so while this is a very helpful response, there is no guarantee how much of this will actually work in my car or if it will be too slow or inaccurate to be of benefit:
For this model you can connect to the OBDII plug using the standard protocol OBDII - ISO9141/2 (K-line).
Parameters requested by SOLO DL to On Board Diagnostic system are RPM, Speed, Throttle Position (TPS), Coolant Temp (ECT), Intake Air temp (IAT), Manifold Air Pressure (MAP), Manifold Air Flow (MAF), Fuel level and Accelerator Pedal Position (PPS), among these some can be deactivated depending on Manufacturer choices made for every model.

Usually on Porsche we see RPM, Speed, TPS and ECT working.

No CANbus protocol has been tested on this car.
So I’m curious if anyone has direct Solo DL experience with older cars like mine and ODB or CAN and what were you able to get? Any advice appreciated.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by longhorn911
I’m trying to decide between a Solo and Solo DL. I might get the DL if I can get useful and reliable info (rpm, throttle, etc) from the sensors in my car which is an older car (1999 Boxster 986).

<snip>

I’m curious if anyone has direct Solo DL experience with older cars like mine and ODB or CAN and what were you able to get? Any advice appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin, tell you what I'll do. I have a good friend nearby, Chuck Miller, who probably has an early 986 available for me to try. If not, there are plenty that show up at VIR.

I'll take a Solo DL over in the next few weeks and try the 9141/2 protocol off the OBD-II connector and see what I get.

I wouldn't put much stock in subjective assessments of data transfer speed through CAN or OBD-II. While there is a difference in sampling rate, it's more important what data is present at what connection.

I would recommend a Solo DL even for people who don't have an ECU protocol they can use simply because it can control the SmartyCam for an integrated solution and because invariably, you will upgrade the car before you upgrade the electronics!

BTW, AiM tech support, by way of Josh Hanrahan, is exceptional compared to most other vendors. YMMV.

Will keep you posted.

Best, Peter
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Kevin

I believe CAN was not available until 2002 on the Boxster, but not sure. I have the Boxster service manuals, I'll try to verify that tomorrow
Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by amso3
Kevin

I believe CAN was not available until 2002 on the Boxster...
To amplify and clarify Jerry's point, here is a listing by AIM of the various protocols used by major manufacturers according to year model. According to AiM, CAN is not used until 2007 on their model line. The reason why we're able to get 996 GT3 stuff is that the AiM has decoded the protocol for ISO 9141/2.

http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...eng_091214.pdf

The 1999 Boxster (986) is listed as using the earlier ISO 9141 standard for its supplied OBD-II information protocol. See the notes at the bottom of the page.

AIM (as well as Video VBOX and Race-Keeper, along with MoTeC) has focused most of their efforts towards "decoding" the later ISO 9141/2 and CAN standards, which doesn't show up until later.

Pretty much by 2006 or later, everyone has gone to CAN as the growing sophistication of stability, dynamic platform and engine management ECU's begin to proliferate and require the need to "talk" to one another.

Then and only then can you count on a system like the DL working without too much difficulty.

But we'll try it anyway! I'm anxious to see if ISO 9141 can be "read" by any of AiM's preloaded protocols in RS2.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Thanks Peter and Jerry. Peter - I'll be interested to hear the results of the test with the 986. I'm sure a lot of older car owners will be interested in what you find...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by longhorn911
Thanks Peter and Jerry. Peter - I'll be interested to hear the results of the test with the 986. I'm sure a lot of older car owners will be interested in what you find...
Just leaving my friend Chuck Miller's place (MilleRSport) and can confirm that on a 1999 US spec Boxster, using the "OBD-II" ECU setting and "ISO 9141/2" protocol, I'm getting battery voltage and engine RPM at least. This car's in for electrical repair (no/screwy instrument readings and warning lights) but this DOES work on a Solo DL.

What this means is that on the data and the SmartyCam overlay, you'll see engine RPM and the system will calculate gear position, so this helps a lot.

I didn't have time to try alternate settings to see if I get TPS or other data, but yes, for the most basic information the Solo DL with an OBD-II plug will pull that from a 986 from 1999.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the update Peter. I'm headed to Roebling Road for a 3 day DE and will take a couple DLs to experiment with. I hope I can find a few cars to test protocol settings.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Keep us posted, Jerry! I'll be at VIR for the NASA-Mid Atlantic event with the same mission.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Just curious - is it possible for RaceStudio 2 (AIM software) to import Traqmate data (or an export of data from Traqview) so you can compare performances for cars with those two different data systems? What about going the other direction (AIM/RaceStudio data into Traqview)?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

is there any word if they are gong to post updated firmware for Solo DL any time soon? April is coming, season will start soon, would be nice to get most issues resolved by then...
Old 02-15-2012, 03:19 PM
HiWind
Race Car

hi Peter or Jerry - I heard the DL won't work via OBD2 on a 996 mk2 Gt3 - in your experience is that true? or is it just a case of not getting as much data vs CAN?

Also what in your view is the essential data (just rpm?) prvided from the Car (as opposed to the lateral g or speed per the GPS) vs the just nice to have?

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399