2011 British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Let see, Valencia, where the rules were same as before, Ferrari/Alonso came in 2nd. How do you explain that?
Yeah, like you said, 2nd. Webber had a crappy race or Alonso would have been 3rd again, in my opinion.

As far as Alonso having his old form back, he was driving the same way all yr, just never had the car.
I did say that he seems to have his old form back. Did I have to date when I thought that it happened?

Take a pill, Raj. You are letting this stuff get to you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ferrari won this on RB's mistake in the pits, not on the track
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Ferrari won this on RB's mistake in the pits, not on the track
Alonso's lap times after that incident tell a different story...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Originally Posted by AC coupe
Alonso's lap times after that incident tell a different story...
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if Vettel had his usual quick pit stop. I suspect Vettel would have used the clean air to pull away from Alonso.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great race and good win for Alonso I still think the coverage is better on Speed
Old 07-11-2011, 01:44 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah, like you said, 2nd. Webber had a crappy race or Alonso would have been 3rd again, in my opinion.

I did say that he seems to have his old form back. Did I have to date when I thought that it happened?

Take a pill, Raj. You are letting this stuff get to you.
Still haven't got dem eyes checked larry .......

Vettel is an arsehat same as stooley only the myoptic amongst us cannot see this , you know the ones that thought stooley was "great", webber was forced to have a crappy race and Alonso's pace was still enuff for a win, custom tires next , stay tuned ...

Frustrated Formula One driver Webber ignored team orders(AFP) – 23 hours ago

SILVERSTONE, United Kingdom — Frustrated Mark Webber admitted he ignored team orders not to overtake his Red Bull team-mate Sebastian Vettel during the final stages of Sunday's British Grand Prix.

The 34-year-old Australian caught German Vettel in the final laps and despite instructions from his team telling him to ?maintain the gap', he mounted several unsuccessful overtaking attempts before settling for third behind winner Fernando Alonso.

Webber, who famously remarked ?not bad for a number two driver' after his victory at Silverstone last year, said he was unhappy with the team's decision and had decided to ignore them.

"I am not fine with it, no," he said. "If Fernando (Alonso) retires on the last lap, we are fighting for the win.

"Of course I ignored the team because I wanted to try and get a place. Seb was doing his best, I was doing my best. I wasn't going to crash with anyone.

"I try to do my best with the amount of one way conversation I was having - I was trying to do my best to pass the guy in front."

Webber played down talk of another favouritism row and suggested that if the situation had been reversed, Vettel would have responded in the same way.

When asked if he was feeling like the number two driver again, he said: "Not really.

"Four or five laps to go, they started to chat to me about holding my position. I wanted the points but I also wanted to get some more points as well.

"I just wanted to race to the end and I'm sure if it had been the other way round it would have been like that as well."

Defending drivers' champion Vettel, 24, said he understood why the team asked them not to race each other but conceded that he had enjoyed the battle.

"I try to stay ahead, nothing wrong with that," he said.

"If you have the cars quite isolated in second and third, with the first guy away and the fourth guy pretty far away, from the team's point of view there is no point racing and doing something stupid.

"The difference between second and third is not massive but we naturally try to race. I tried to hold position. I was struggling, Mark was faster and then there was the chequered flag."

Vettel added that he thought the situation had been blown wildly out of proportion.

"To me at this stage it is quite amusing," he said.

"If it was the other way around, there is no point - of course I would like to overtake Mark at that stage, so no point trying to do something stupid. I don't see why there is such a fuss."

Vettel finished second and now holds an 80 point lead in the title race, Webber is second with 124 points, with Alonso of Ferrari a further 12 points adrift.

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved. More »
Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fernando Alonso had said that Ferrari needed to deliver at Silverstone if they were to retain any hope of 2011 titles - and deliver they did, in some style. Yes, their win owed something to a botched Red Bull pit stop for Sebastian Vettel, but there was no question over the 150° Italia’s pace, as victor Alonso and fifth-placed Felipe Massa clocked the fastest laps of the race.

As the wheels (quite literally) came off McLaren’s challenge, it was left to the red and blue cars to fight it out at the front. It made for a thrilling spectacle, unless you were Red Bull boss Christian Horner, who had to watch Mark Webber push Vettel all the way in a scrap for second, despite team orders to retain position.

After a weekend of controversy surrounding the off-throttle diffuser rules, the Grand Prix was a welcome reminder of what Formula One is really about - flat-out racing of the highest order.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Ferrari has definitely improved their car (a new rear wing, new suspension components and other upgrades) to the point where they now seem to be a step ahead of McLaren. But Red Bull still has the best package. Can Alonso beat Vettel? Well he still has time on his side what with 10 more races still to come? But that is one hell of a steep hill he must climb. But at least this insanity of mid season rule changes will not influence the rest of the season since the FIA is going back to the rules in place we had for the Valencia race. The FIA should never have gone down this mid season "blown diffuser ban" in the first place.

Also I don't always agree with what everything Eddie Jordan says, but he does offer commentary from a team owners perspective and what he said in yesterday's BBC post race interviews was spot on. Sure the fans want to see the drivers race and you know damn well the Red Bull/Vettel haters would just love to see Webber and Vettel crash into each other in every race. But Red Bull is not as dumb as the Red Bull haters think they are. As Eddie Jordan pointed out, yesterdays call for Webber to back off was the right call for the team and Red Bull would be looking like fools if they allowed their drivers to take each other out. Vettel and Red Bull may have a huge lead, but the season is only half over. Button and Brawn GP had a similar big lead in the 2009 season and 2009 was not decided until late in the year.

I like Mark Webber, I want to see Mark Webber do well. But he better hope he gets a ride with Ferrari next year because he is burning his bridges at Red Bull and kissing off his ride in one of the top teams. There is no way in hell will he have a chance to win races in a mid tier or lower tier team (the only places he will find a ride if he does not get that Ferrari ride). Besides does Webber think he will get a fair shake at Ferrari with Alonso their clear #1 driver. Massa is always getting the short end of the stick when it comes to Ferrari's pit stop strategy. Sorry Mark we know you are a quality F1 driver, we know you do well at Silverstone, but you blew your race yesterday when you got off to a bad start and it's not the first time you have blown the start this season and don't tell us it's because Red Bull is purposely sabotaging your car, you were not the one who was having KERS problems yesterday.

No sour grapes ... Alonso and Ferrari won this race fair and square.

Next up is Germany.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Webber ..... is frustrated,

He's a racer, as Alonso, as Hamilton, as was the Mercurial Montoya, nothing like Schumacher, Button and or Vettel, who dont care how they win or if they are the fastest...

Team orders sent Montoya and ironically the beneficiary of such orders Kimi to Nascar . Webber doesn't care to stay at RB if they wont allow him to race Vettel, he's old school and not into this Faux chit .

Saying you like Mark Webber is nothing more than your "straw man " argument....

Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,979 Likes on 1,759 Posts

Webber is quickly turning into a joke. First he disregards a direct team order And still couldnt get by Vettel just like he hasn't been able to do all year!!!

Then he is stupid enough to admit to the world!!! He would have been better served to let people think that he was told not to pass rather than having people now know he couldn't pass.

Sorry but every week that goes by shows how much more superior his teammate really is.

Win count: Vettel 6
Hamilton 1
Button 1
Alonso 1
Webber 0

The numbers don't lie
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pete
Webber is quickly turning into a joke. First he disregards a direct team order And still couldnt get by Vettel just like he hasn't been able to do all year!!!

Then he is stupid enough to admit to the world!!! He would have been better served to let people think that he was told not to pass rather than having people now know he couldn't pass.

Sorry but every week that goes by shows how much more superior his teammate really is.

Win count: Vettel 6
Hamilton 1
Button 1
Alonso 1
Webber 0

The numbers don't lie
It looked to me like Webber could have easily taken Vettel in the last lap DRS zone had he used his KERS reserve, which he did not.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

1 more lap...just one more lap....
Old 07-11-2011, 06:21 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Alonso and Ferrari would have done no better that 3rd or 4th if the FIA had not gifted them this win by virtue of the rules change.

Webber has been acting like a ***** for the last 2 seasons. He knows his days in F1 are numbered and wants a title so bad he is willing to make a fool of himself. If I had an employee who disobeyed a direct order, I would show that person the door. The longer RB lets this continue the worst they appear as an organization.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sir A.Wayne,

You conspicuous absence has been noted in this forum for all of the previous F1 races this season.
You seem to have "disappeared" into the hinterlands of the AV and OT forums since Alonso performed the first ever in cockpit Heimlich maneuver in F1 history at Abu Dhabi last season, thus rendering your prediction and guarantee of Alonso as 2010 WDC 'null and void'

As soon as Alonso wins this season you return and the status quo is restored with your colorful posts and masterful use of fonts, colors and "copy and paste".

The only person missing from the celebration is Luis de Prat ...
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Vettel backs off when his win or place is assured. With a limited number of engines for the season, it makes good sense. It seems that Mark Webber doesn't care about such things since he can't win the title anyway.

Team orders to "maintain the gap" (Wayne, please note) made perfect sense under the circumstances. Vettel could have opened the gap but orders were to save the equipment. Had it not been for a botched pit stop, Webber and Alonso would have been well behind from the way I saw it.

Quick Reply: 2011 British Grand Prix