2011 British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I am not part of this bet, but this does sound fair. Wipe the slate clean from this point moving forward. Who scores the most points in the last 10 races of the season? Alonso or Vettel?

As far as comparing Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton. They are three different types of drivers. Vettel is the least experienced of the three though Hamilton is not that far ahead of him and we are still seeing Vettel develop. Alonso is the most experienced and he seems to have a good mix of when to be aggressive and when to hold back. Hamilton is pure driving talent, but Hamilton seems to think he is the 2nd coming of Ayrton Senna and is doing the same things Senna did (ie: Lewis will put his car on a part of the track where there will be collision and let the other driver decided if they want to get into an accident). When these tactics work, Hamilton looks brilliant. When they don't work there is a lot of carbon fiber lying on the track. I see Vettel as he gains more experience becoming more like Alonso (being aggressive when he needs to, but also holding back if need be since you can not win races if you do not finish). Lewis on the other hands wants to be another Senna who once said, "The moment you stop going for the gap is the moment you cease being a race car driver". It's okay for Lewis to be ambitious and trying to emulate Senna. Let's just hope he never goes over the edge with his ambition.
Reading wiki again ......

Vettel is not in the same zip code as those 2, put him in the Ferrari or Mclaren and watch Button and or Massa take care of him , no need for Alonso or Hamilton ....

Originally Posted by Pete
In fairness to Raj, Wayne didn't take the bet either. I'm ready to ship my bottleof Patron to you, but want to make sure Wayne does the same.

There's a lot of poultry around here lately....
Dats some puff work considering you have raisins for nuts, pay your previous bet cupcake or send 2 bottles to Ray, one for the bet already lost and the other for the one you are going to ...

Then we can talk ....
Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It's funny how we keep reading that Webber is considered a sort of 2nd class slowpoke but still a racer. I'd be willing to bet he has set more fastest laps than most over the last few years.
Forget blindney,,,, Webber is faster than vettel ..........

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That is completely counter to your earlier look at Webber when you said he was a racer. I think he's a great speed guy but I don't think of him as a racer. Out front he can walk the field but I don't ever think of his name as someone who will bring a car up through the field. I do think he is tough as hell to pass too but I don't know if I think of that as racing although as I type this I think it should be.

It still tough to figure out who really is a good racer with the way the F1 car behaves. Ridiculously short braking zones, crazy aero, awesome tires etc. take a lot of the chances for the 'racer' to really shine.
Not a racer ....then how would you rate vettel who is no more a racer than mark, ask Button ...

Originally Posted by morganabowen
All this talk about Webber is silly, since all you have to do is look at the WDC 2011 points to note that Webber is second only to Vettel, and ahead of everybody else. With the exception of Vettel, Webber has more points then all the other drivers
He would have had more than Vettel if not for team manipulation, as he did last year ...

Presha is coming , Vettel doesn't handle presha well , just like the other faux WDC, Schumacher and Button. his training wheels will start to wobble , Alonso will out score him from here out ...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
BWAAAAAAAYYY

Wasn't Vettel in a superior car chased down and beaten by Button in Cananda.Made a fool of himself right there.......

Boy wonder or Boy Blunder ...................
Button ran the race of his life. In fact, the best individual performance I have seen on a race track. Vettel admitted to 2 mistakes; 1) on the last lap. 2) not have pulled the gap earlier and we know he is capable.

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
LOL. funny. How long did it take Vettel to pass Hammy? Oh wait a sec, he couldn't pass Hammy. Alonso didn't have any such problem and made it look easy. So, if RBR was that much better or if Vettel is that great, why couldn't he pass Hammy? Vettel is good when he is ahead, he has yet to show any passing skills.
Paaallleeese! Hamilton let Alonso by. He NEVER put up a fight. He knew he did not have the car to win and that it was in his best WDC interest to help someone get more points than Vettel. Total 'Uncle' move on LH's part.

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I don't think that Webber's days in F1 are numbered I'm sure he can go to Renault, Ferrari or even McLaren, not to mention the slower teams like Sauber and Force India. Webber is a F1 driver and he will be here for a few more years
Yes, he will be there for a few more years (think Rubens Barricello), but he aint in his prime anymore. His chances are slipping away and he knows it. I was rooting for him last year when he was ahead of Vettel but he shot himself in the foot. There have been lots of 'goods', in all sports, who never got rings, but the great always get rings. Not looking like Webber will be considered a great.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Ha, clearly you know all about being an F1 driver. Of all the years and years of hard work it takes to reach the absolute pinnacle of this sport. May we all bathe in your aura, seriously.
If Webber was considered a ***** by the industry he would be dropped like a stone. In fact he is liked by the other teams and journos and is in demand from others. He speaks his mind and intelligently. If I was in his position I would be trying to overtake Vettel under those circumstances and so would Vettel had the roles been reversed. Webber said as much.
Somehow when Vettel wins he does it all on talent, yet when Webber does well it's because he's in the best car? Btw, someone has to drive the best car. Shouldn't be held against them.
The team should be applauded for making such a car. Now, we have the goalposts being shifted mid season just to appease Ferrari and others. I can't see why this couldn't be taken to court for an infraction of the rules.
I don't know what the industry or his peers think. I do know, as an employer, I would not tolerate open disobedience, especially not being dis-ed in public. Webber should have accepted the decision of his employer and taking his case to them later in private. That, he has a legitimate right to do. Team orders are legal in F1 this year unlike last year when Ferrari cheated..."Massa, Ferando is faster than you."

Originally Posted by wilhelm
No I didn't mean a race, that wouldn't be close at all. I win and get your 968 Turbo, you win and get my Mazda 3!

Yes a friendly wager, I win and you change your pic to Red Bull and refer to Alonso as DV for 6 months. You come up with what I have to do if I loose.
This almost cost me a keyboard.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Explain how Webber shot himself in the foot ..............?
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is completely counter to your earlier look at Webber when you said he was a racer.
Yeah, but that was then and this is now, right?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Yeah, but that was then and this is now, right?
When will then be now?

Soon
Old 07-13-2011, 12:16 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

You need a good Butterfly sponge to handle larry's ping pong logic .......
So much for that lucky victory 92 Points behind and Vettel cant sleep

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93045

Vettel says Red Bull must react to Ferrari's performance

"It was a tough race and Ferrari was very quick, Fernando in particular, and they beat us," said Vettel in a post race video interview with Red Bull. "We need to accept it, and to understand when you get beaten you have to accept it.

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-13-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:39 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I now know why people on this forum hate Alonso. Its A. Wayne plain and simple as his personal fanboy

Alonso doesn't need him or me to sing his praises, he let his driving do the talking on Sunday in a car that is only supposed to see a podium on occasion and at that the 3rd step.

Wayne -- when you show up only after Alonso wins and haven't been seen since BEFORE the last race of the 2010 season you lose all credibility. Save your opinions for yourself. True Alonso fans dont need you to fly the flag.

Alonso has been the model of a great driver and team player, never complaining and never giving up. Those that predicted he would bring down ferrari can see that he is the only one keeping them in the game!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When will then be now?

Soon
Then was, now is. Tomorrow? Only Wayne knows for certain, regardless of how many times he gets it wrong.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Paaallleeese! Hamilton let Alonso by. He NEVER put up a fight. He knew he did not have the car to win and that it was in his best WDC interest to help someone get more points than Vettel. Total 'Uncle' move on LH's part.
I think you type faster than you think. If this is your logic behind Lewis "letting" Alonso pass him, why the heck did he pass Alonso earlier in the 1st place.
So if Alonso passes someone, then the driver lets him pass them, nice! There is not a single driver in F1 that would just let someone pass, as long as they are both fighting for points. Prior to the race, Lewis was leading Alonso in the Drivers Standing. It makes no sense for him to let Alonso get ahead of him.
Nice try though.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
You need a good Butterfly sponge to handle larry's ping pong logic .......
So much for that lucky victory 92 Points behind and Vettel cant sleep

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93045

Vettel says Red Bull must react to Ferrari's performance

"It was a tough race and Ferrari was very quick, Fernando in particular, and they beat us," said Vettel in a post race video interview with Red Bull. "We need to accept it, and to understand when you get beaten you have to accept it.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Why is Vettel panicking already. He almost has a 4 race win lead.
Someone is getting nervous. I guess he knows if Ferrari didn't have a brain fart last yr, Vettel should have never won his 1st WDC.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Wilhelm, so are we on or what??? Please pick a normal individual to hold the bottle. I prefer someone sane that doesn't spew hatred or negativity.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 858 Posts

It is gratifying to see Alonso's nickname of "Designer Vachina" catching on....
Old 07-13-2011, 10:35 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I think you type faster than you think. If this is your logic behind Lewis "letting" Alonso pass him, why the heck did he pass Alonso earlier in the 1st place.
So if Alonso passes someone, then the driver lets him pass them, nice! There is not a single driver in F1 that would just let someone pass, as long as they are both fighting for points. Prior to the race, Lewis was leading Alonso in the Drivers Standing. It makes no sense for him to let Alonso get ahead of him.
Nice try though.
Hey! I was watching the British GP, the one where LH did not have enough fuel in his car to push to the end without running out of fuel on track. He passed Alonso, then reality on the McLaren strategy of making their car lighter in order to be competitive, after the 'give Ferrari a win', rules change went into effect.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:05 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Hey! I was watching the British GP, the one where LH did not have enough fuel in his car to push to the end without running out of fuel on track. He passed Alonso, then reality on the McLaren strategy of making their car lighter in order to be competitive, after the 'give Ferrari a win', rules change went into effect.
Keep appeasing yourself with that logic. Hey, whatever rocks your boat. Do you also see black helicopters following you everywhere.
So, it was ok to let Alonso go but not Vettel? LOL

Quick Reply: 2011 British Grand Prix