4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

2011 British Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Good race. Congrats to Alonso. What's up with Red Bull team orders? As if Vettel needed any extra points!

Well, it's off to Germany! Literally for me, as I'll be there watching from T4 grandstand in two weeks!
Should be fun!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:44 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Alonso is driving really well and smart too. He allowed Hamilton to burn his tires off chasing him and then allowed LH to pass him easily only to reel him back in and pass him back. Really smart.

Hamilton should have been penalized by hitting Massa in the side for the 4th spot, but given that it's in England with a British race stewart.... well you know.

As far as RBR, Vettel slowed down knowing he could never catch Alonso, Webber was not faster and hasn't been all year.... Webber took advantage of Vettel saving his car and wants to pass? Hollow at best and underhanded at worst. The team did the right thing given these two guys history.

* I'm enjoying McLaren's implosion lately. Qualifying blunders, wheel nuts not secured, short fueling the cars.... couldn't happen to a more deserving team IMO.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 AM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+993 with Pete!
Congrats to Alonso for a surprise win.
Bad boy hammy did NASCAR thingy again to Massa. (aren't stewards not penalizing these rough contacts?...Mass was ahead into corner! Wait, it was Mansell! Yikes!)
Kudos goes to kobayashi & Di Rista for nice qualifying job though race was...
Also, S. Perez looked more mature than shumi today...

Last edited by f8vr993; 07-11-2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete

* I'm enjoying McLaren's implosion lately. Qualifying blunders, wheel nuts not secured, short fueling the cars.... couldn't happen to a more deserving team IMO.
Too much Shadenfruede for me to not ask you wtf you are taking about. I like this team for various reasons, one of which its an english team. If you say its because of Ron D, i'll stop listening as he has no real influence now.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

To be fair, even though they have previously stated that the RB guys are left to their own devices when it comes down to race places, they would not be the first team to drive under orders. Also, I would guess that their worst fears were one taking the other out and scoring no points. Not like it hasn't happened before.
Still, would have loved there to be just one more lap. Both for the MW/SV and LH/FM races.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There could be lots of reasons for the orders that we are unaware of. Vettel obviously appeared to be slowing, and it could have been for reliability reasons. That said, he might have picked up his pace to hold off Webber, and then possibly risked a failure, so who knows. Since team orders are now allowed, it is a non-issue.

Kudos to Alonso for making the most of what he had. We'll see if this was just a rules anomily or if the Ferrari has developed and can sustain the pace now that some of it has been taken from McLaren and Red Bull.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 AM
wilhelm
Advanced

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Again vettel is avg, obvious when he was caught in Canada by Button and is obvioulsy not faster than Webbo , never was...

:
Vettel not faster than Webber? Webber started P1 and Vettel P2, who had the lead at the first corner? Vettel schooled Weber at the start like he has been doing all year.

Why is Webber so bad on the start, how many times has he lost positions this year?

Team orders are allowed and Vettel vs Webber was for 2nd place not a race win. Why is this a big deal its only for 2nd place!

Nice win for Ferrari, too bad it took a rule change to get them a win.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:53 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
Too much Shadenfruede for me to not ask you wtf you are taking about. I like this team for various reasons, one of which its an english team. If you say its because of Ron D, i'll stop listening as he has no real influence now.
Never mentioned Ron Dennis if you read my post. If you look at McLaren's performance as a team this year, they have made a lot of mistakes in all areas of their team from strategy to individuals in the pit box etc.

It's pretty clear to me that they gambled big time with Hamilton (we'll never know about Button as he DNFed), but they screwed up the qualifying session which placed him 10th. Then then short fueled him hoping to bring him up the grid with a lighter car which would only work if it rained and there is less fuel consumption.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Kudos to Alonso for making the most of what he had. We'll see if this was just a rules anomily or if the Ferrari has developed and can sustain the pace now that some of it has been taken from McLaren and Red Bull.
Nice underhanded compliment to Ferrari. So Ferrari now has the pace because the RBR and McLaren's handicap? Didn't Ferrari qualify well in the past few races as well? Do you not see normal progression at Ferrari?
Ferrari has had an upperhand on Mclaren in the last 3 races. The results have not always reflected this change.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wilhelm
Vettel not faster than Webber? Webber started P1 and Vettel P2, who had the lead at the first corner? Vettel schooled Weber at the start like he has been doing all year.

Why is Webber so bad on the start, how many times has he lost positions this year?

Team orders are allowed and Vettel vs Webber was for 2nd place not a race win. Why is this a big deal its only for 2nd place!

Nice win for Ferrari, too bad it took a rule change to get them a win.
It took a poor pitstop and constant progress from Ferrari. Ferrari could keep up with RedBull In Valencia as well.
Anyways, going forward, everyone will be back to Valencia specs so this should be a non-issue.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Never mentioned Ron Dennis if you read my post. If you look at McLaren's performance as a team this year, they have made a lot of mistakes in all areas of their team from strategy to individuals in the pit box etc.

It's pretty clear to me that they gambled big time with Hamilton (we'll never know about Button as he DNFed), but they screwed up the qualifying session which placed him 10th. Then then short fueled him hoping to bring him up the grid with a lighter car which would only work if it rained and there is less fuel consumption.
+1. It was a strategy that counted on accidents to help conserve fuel. Even though it was raining, this never happened and there was no safety car.
They gambled and lost.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah seems like Vettel slowed down one he was past Hamilton. Vettel comes in for the 2nd stop in the lead, but has slow stop. Comes out behind Alonso and Hamilton. Hamilton then holds up Vettel who despite being fast can't make the pass. Seems like the red bull was faster in the corner, but even with DRS did not have the straight away speed. Anyway that allows Alonso to gap Vettel so when Vettel pits for his last tires he can pass Hamilton, but was too far back to catch Alonso. So he backed off. Possibly to increast relability or due a Minor issue. Webbo comes back at him a bit at the end, but if the team told Vettel to back off and preserve the car then is seems fair to also tell Webbo to back off too.

So just a less than ideal race for red bull or a sign the blown diffuser was a big edge for red bull and this is sign of tougher times for them?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

I think the LH vs FM incident is a non-issue (I only saw one view though). To me it was a racing incident. They both were fighting hard for many laps and had reached 'do or die' in the last few corners. I would not be happy seeing LH penalised for working hard to hold his posistion.

McLaren had an ugly day at their home race. Gotta thank the FIA for changing the rules right before they went before their home crowd. I bet a lot of fans in England are furious since McLaren seems to be coming on of late.

RB 'Hold your posistion' comment seems reasonable to me, those guys might have taken each other out in the last corner, costing RB valuable constructor and WDC points. Vettel had clearly pulled back, having no chance to overtake DV.

At least RB can put their masterpiece back into it's, as designed by the rules, winning configuration for the next race.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
Nice underhanded compliment to Ferrari. So Ferrari now has the pace because the RBR and McLaren's handicap? Didn't Ferrari qualify well in the past few races as well? Do you not see normal progression at Ferrari?
Ferrari has had an upperhand on Mclaren in the last 3 races. The results have not always reflected this change.
Underhanded? Maybe a little more reflective of the facts. Yes, Ferrari is improving, no question. Did the imposed mid-season equalizing rules change slow Red Bull, no doubt.

It's all conjecture, but I do feel that if the Red Bull cars ran in their Valencia form at Silverstone, Ferrari would have been 3rd, even with the pit stop screwup. Still, Ferrari is improving, and Alonso seems to have his old form back. That has to be good for the sport.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Underhanded? Maybe a little more reflective of the facts. Yes, Ferrari is improving, no question. Did the imposed mid-season equalizing rules change slow Red Bull, no doubt.

It's all conjecture, but I do feel that if the Red Bull cars ran in their Valencia form at Silverstone, Ferrari would have been 3rd, even with the pit stop screwup. Still, Ferrari is improving, and Alonso seems to have his old form back. That has to be good for the sport.
Let see, Valencia, where the rules were same as before, Ferrari/Alonso came in 2nd. How do you explain that? Silverstone, they went up an additional notch, which shows normal progression.
As far as Alonso having his old form back, he was driving the same way all yr, just never had the car. All one has to do is compare his teammate to him and see what the car is really capable of. It's a one driver team, where his teammate does not hold his end of the deal. Never has, never will. I doubt many other drivers would get pushed around like Massa. Whatever little respect I had for him as a driver was lost yesterday. He lacks a backbone. How often will he let Lewis b1tchslap him.
Raj

Quick Reply: 2011 British Grand Prix