Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlino
The factory has a spec for Winter Tire sizes which are 225/40-18 and 265/35-18 for the 6GT3 that is also what I use for Street/Rain driving since I don't drive my car in the Winter In the Wet a narrower tire is better...
Geat this is what I felt was the correct answer and ordered the narrow tires for the fronts on my rain set. So 235/255 they arrive today ready for COTA this weekend. Just in case VR gets more rain up there.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,678 Likes on 868 Posts

Haha! I wish! But yeah, narrower is generally better in rains when there is a lot of water.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Jenner, I posted this a while ago in another thread but here's onboard with yours truly at Limerock during a Skip Barber MX-5 race last year -- on street tires. Slo-mo version of Patrick Long's action above (especially the three-wide pass down main straight at 4:45) . Watch:

- the line
- how I try to brake as late and as little as possible (Each unnecessary loss of momentum is much more costly in a low-powered car.)
- how I try to get on throttle as early as possible
- how hand-work (car control) allows me to explore those limits

[Spoiler: I won . Most passing action is in the first 13mins. The rest is just keeping things safe at P1 until the finish.]

http://vimeo.com/51112352
This is a great video of driving LRP fast. I keep watching it being envious of your ability on the uphill. I just don't have the ***** to track out that far, even though I know I need to.

I'll see what I can do to mimic you next week.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Thanks for the compliments Matt. There's a '1 sec' trick to the uphill. If you don't know it and you tried to copy my line you are likely to hit the armco before the crest or spin after it. I could tell you what the trick is but then I'd have to kill you.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:56 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 990 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Thanks for the compliments Matt. There's a '1 sec' trick to the uphill. If you don't know it and you tried to copy my line you are likely to hit the armco before the crest or spin after it. I could tell you what the trick is but then I'd have to kill you.
I don't have the cajones to do it on my own, but I'll make sure to ask Holehouse what the "1 sec" trick his! I'm sure he'll know. If not I'll track down Bruce or Simon.

Or, I'm pretty good at the spinning part. I could do that on my own.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Just countersteer as you crest, that grass on the left has good grip...
Old 06-05-2013, 12:51 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Matt, LOL!
By '1 sec' I meant it would take 1 sec off your lap time.

Gary, stop spilling the beans!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default shock and sway bar settings

Just picked up a new (to me) 996 C4 with PSS9's and HR adj sways installed. First track weekend for this car coming up this week. All of my previous track time has been in my 964 C4's of various configurations but mostly stock. Suggestions for starting points for the shock settings and sway bar settings? I assume something short of full stiff on everything. A good starting point and then a progression of changes. On the 964's my primary adjustments have been limited to changes in tire pressures, to make changes in the car (stock sways w/o adjustment).
Of course, I know the biggest variable and current limitation is the nut that holds down the seat. And, I do drive Flat Out
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Which track?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:13 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

My home track - Putnam Park near Indy.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Try halfway for all adjustments to start.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Try halfway for all adjustments to start.
Genius!
Sorry, really not being a smarta$$. I figured I would try somewhere in the middle to start. The question is - what would be an order of changes to make, a sort of Design of Experiments (yes, I'm a process development engineer-geek). My 964 C4 would understeer a lot, and I always wanted to try a stiffer rear bar or rear springs (although I know that a chunk of the problem was my inability to set up for a late apex so I could get on the power on exit without plowing off the track). So, I will see how this new car feels, and I know I will be tempted to stiffen up the rear bar or soften the front bar. I don't have a clue how to "read" the car and make appropriate adjustments to the shocks.
THANKS
Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

IMO you want to get the compression set first, and in an ideal world, want to run as little coompression as you can get away with.

Then get rebound set, and in an ideal world want to run as much rebound as the car can take. It will probably take more in the back end than the front.

However, Putnam is far from an ideal world, so adjust one thing at a time, then wriite down your impression of how the car's behavior changes under braking, corner entry, apex, and WOT track out.

JMHO...
Old 06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWS964
Genius!
Sorry, really not being a smarta$$. I figured I would try somewhere in the middle to start. The question is - what would be an order of changes to make, a sort of Design of Experiments (yes, I'm a process development engineer-geek). My 964 C4 would understeer a lot, and I always wanted to try a stiffer rear bar or rear springs (although I know that a chunk of the problem was my inability to set up for a late apex so I could get on the power on exit without plowing off the track). So, I will see how this new car feels, and I know I will be tempted to stiffen up the rear bar or soften the front bar. I don't have a clue how to "read" the car and make appropriate adjustments to the shocks.
THANKS
Stop overthinking. You've already answered your primary question.

Set your shocks at 7 front and 8 rear. Forget about them.
Set your H&R bars at the outside hole all four corners. Forget about them.

Go drive, do DE's, listen to your instructors. Drive more. Correct your elementary mistakes and you'll learn to read the car a bit better.

You won't make any more adjustments than the ones I've outlined above (beyond tire pressure).

Cheers, have fun.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Can't help myself from overanalyzing.
Just to clarify - PSS9 settings 7F 8R, for 1=soft 9=stiff ? I seem to recall that these are different order on different applications for some odd reason.
Curious about your choice of full soft on the F+R sway bars - logic?
Agree - need to tighten down the nut that holds down the seat. Can't wait to get some seat time in the new car. It is SO different from the 964. Doesn't even feel like a real Porsche, let alone smell like one. Glad I kept one of each, and swing both ways. And, no, I'm not trying to start a fight.
Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH