Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:23 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll say this about the topic of top end speed or higher powered cars in the same class. Most of the guys discussing this are usually guys who have lower powered cars and it's used as one of the main reasons why they don't do as well as they want to against competitors. The "yeah, but my times would be faster than yours if I had the power you have," is a empty argument because you'll never know. You'll simply get bogged down in the Kibortian torque vs. hp or the momentum vs. more power endless loop. Further, this debate keeps a lot of guys from focusing on THEIR car and THEIR driving and instead focusing on the other cars! You have to drive what you brung and do the best you can or bring something else.

If you run in a class where the cars aren't spec, you'll always either be outspent and at a disadvantage or be the guy who spends more and the other guys say, "yeah, but look how much he spent on that thing...".

Focus on whether you are getting the most out of your equipment. When you're within a second or two of a pro in your car and you're still not winning or doing as well as you want, it may be time to get something different. Until then, don't focus on the other guys....

Last edited by PedroNole; 07-02-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 AM
switcher
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep.

Originally Posted by racing916
If you give a late pass and have to over brake you can easily loose 20 seconds a lap. When you have only 80 hp every corner not slowing down makes a dramatic difference in time.
I noticed this in the toe of the boot especially. While I've got a bit more than 80 HP (87 Targa), gearing seemed to be an issue there. Second was too short and in third if I had to drop below a certain point in RPM it was a slow ride up the sole. Unfortunately, the cars that go tearing by me on the straight are usually in the way in the corner.

This leads me to my next two questions:

1) If I know I need some space from the car in front of me to keep my speed up through a corner how do I keep from pissing the guys off behind me (DE) or do I let them pass and bite the bullet?

I've apparently been moved up a group ( so maybe the first scenario won't be an issue ). It is the last instructed group before solo so

2) What should I be learning / focusing on to prepare myself to be able to continue learning on my own when finally promoted to a solo group?

As always, thanks for your time!

Best,
Jim.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,677 Likes on 867 Posts

One thing about using 3rd instead of 2nd in the toe is that it forces you to brake less, thus staying more in the meat of the power band. When you say 2nd is too short, where exactly are you running out of gear?

As for your questions, (1) don't be quite as fast in the straights, carry more speed into and through the corner in order to be better positioned to receive a point by on exit; (2) vision..looking farther ahead...relaxing...visualizing the course, where you are on it, and what you land your car ook like driving it well
Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by switcher
2) What should I be learning / focusing on to prepare myself to be able to continue learning on my own when finally promoted to a solo group?

As always, thanks for your time!

Best,
Jim.
When driving solo, its easy to get lazy and just circulate around the track doing laps without a real purpose. Without a coach giving feedback in real time it's easy form a bad habit of 'just driving' versus learning/improving.

Treat each time on track as a learning experience and have a goal in mind. Pick one or two corners to work on or a particular technique you know you can improve at and very thoughtfully practice on improving that aspect of your driving. Forget about lap time, catching the car in front of you, etc., just evaluate your performance after each session against the specific goal you set out to work on.

Then at the end of the day, put it all together and put down some hot laps and have some fun. Your laps times should be dropping and let that final session be your reward!
Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
turbo911cm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jakermc
When driving solo, its easy to get lazy and just circulate around the track doing laps without a real purpose. Without a coach giving feedback in real time it's easy form a bad habit of 'just driving' versus learning/improving.

Treat each time on track as a learning experience and have a goal in mind. Pick one or two corners to work on or a particular technique you know you can improve at and very thoughtfully practice on improving that aspect of your driving. Forget about lap time, catching the car in front of you, etc., just evaluate your performance after each session against the specific goal you set out to work on.

Then at the end of the day, put it all together and put down some hot laps and have some fun. Your laps times should be dropping and let that final session be your reward!

Great advice! Might I add a notebook or log book is great to have at the track. take notes after your session and review old notes from the same track if you have them.

It is also nice to have a camera in the car to record your driving if you can swing it as well (Go Pro/Replay XD work great and are affordable) Those cameras will not get you into the details of GPS and track overlays, just will help you go thru the events of the day and remember some of what transpired that was not translated in the notebook. Give you the chance to see if you really did hit that apex
Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 AM
switcher
Track Day

Default Visualization

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
One thing about using 3rd instead of 2nd in the toe is that it forces you to brake less, thus staying more in the meat of the power band. When you say 2nd is too short, where exactly are you running out of gear?
If I remember correctly I would run out almost as soon as coming on the gas after the apex in 2nd gear.

As for your questions, (1) don't be quite as fast in the straights, carry more speed into and through the corner in order to be better positioned to receive a point by on exit; (2) vision..looking farther ahead...relaxing...visualizing the course, where you are on it, and what you land your car ook like driving it well
Cool, I think I'm pretty relaxed but do need to work on looking ahead more still.

My instructor at Limerock had me doing visualization exercises with a stopwatch in my hotel room - it worked quite well. I guess I'll start trying it between sessions as well with the goal of getting good enough to be thinking/visualizing further ahead on the track as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:39 AM
switcher
Track Day

Originally Posted by turbo911cm
Great advice! Might I add a notebook or log book is great to have at the track. take notes after your session and review old notes from the same track if you have them.
Thanks, that's a good idea. I've seen some suggestions for items to log for "racers". Is there one for low time DE drivers?

I currently have what's more of a diary I keep on my wiki: HPDE - My911Wiki but I forget to update it and then have to do it from memory. A log would help there as well!

It is also nice to have a camera in the car to record your driving if you can swing it as well (Go Pro/Replay XD work great and are affordable) Those cameras will not get you into the details of GPS and track overlays, just will help you go thru the events of the day and remember some of what transpired that was not translated in the notebook. Give you the chance to see if you really did hit that apex
I have a GPS data logger and software from MaxQData that I use with autocross. The problem is in the analysis. Without telemetry or video I have had a tough time remembering exactly what I was doing to determine why I was faster or slower in a particular area. I definitely want to get a GoPro and now MaxQData has software to do overlay of the GPS data on the video so that may help some.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by switcher
If I remember correctly I would run out almost as soon as coming on the gas after the apex in 2nd gear.

Then there's your answer: 3rd gear. Remember that the toe goes from downhill to dramatically uphill & on camber. Make your initial braking impuls softer, and allow the hill + camber to aid the slowing. It will prevent you from ovver-slowing and allow better use of 3rd gear. The slowing capabilities of the uphill and on camber are dramatic, and the visuals of the corner don't do it justice!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

An interesting topic came up this past weekend with one of my coaching clients at VIR. He asked me to drive his car to give my opinion of how the suspension was set. This was after I had ridden with him in it for 2 full days. Before we set off, I asked him how he had it set, and he told me that the adjustments were at maximum--full hard. My view has always been that full hard settings on any adjustable suspension are generally not advisable for serious, aggressive track driving. This guy is a good driver, very methodical, and really works the car nicely. Anyway, while I was behind the wheel, I could immediately (even on the out lap) feel that the car was not supple enough in key sections of the track, and also resolved to understeer way too quickly in others (such as at the very end of the climbing esses just before entering South Bend). After a few laps showing him some of the things I had been coaching him towards from the right seat, we came in and discussed why I thought the suspension seetings needed to be backed off a bit. The net net is that many people believe that max settings make the car handle better & tighter, when in fact the exact opposite is often true...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
The net net is that many people believe that max settings make the car handle better & tighter, when in fact the exact opposite is often true...
You and I have discussed this before, about the misperception that when the car feels "locked down" it is usually at the expense of grip and predictability.

Too much rebound is a bad thing.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yep, and so is too much compression!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm interested in what you did after coming in and talking about it....
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Drank some water....cooled off..... It was pretty much the end of the weekend for us.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am the client Dave was referring to and for the next session (the last of the weekend), I backed the PSS9s down one notch and had what I think were the best laps of the event. (Traqmate memory was full so I don't know for sure). Can't wait to get back out and play with the settings some more.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:42 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Larry and Dave - I will finally have a chance to read two of the chassis books Stevie W. had me purchase as I am on flights out to OR. In the meantime,

...would one of you give us the Cliff's version regarding shock settings as mentioned above, or a link to a discussion here. I'm in motels all week and this would be great as I have eight track days scheduled just after the trip.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH