Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Of course, but my question is more as to what you would do with your students? Will you turn all electronics off?
If I am driving their car, yes I will. If they are driving, I will always let them decide. I will tell them my opinions of the pluses and minuses of both approaches, and allow thhem to make the decision.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:08 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

When a student ask me if they could/should turn off psm/vsc/dsc I tell them if they can show me that they can drive smooth and hit all the marks then they will earn the chance to turn off the button. Most have many things to work on before turning the button off.

joe
Old 08-12-2011, 01:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by 4porsh
When a student ask me if they could/should turn off psm/vsc/dsc I tell them if they can show me that they can drive smooth and hit all the marks then they will earn the chance to turn off the button. Most have many things to work on before turning the button off.

joe
Earn the chance? I don't think so. Student's car...student's call. If the instructor does not like the students choice, he can bail out.

If I had a car with PSM, which I do, I would not drive with it on. Why would I want the car doing things behind my back? I want to know what effects my inputs have. I don't want them masked or fixed by the car. Nor do I want the car to try fix something it thinks is mistake that I am actually doing on purpose.

Scott
Old 08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Earn the chance? I don't think so. Student's car...student's call. If the instructor does not like the students choice, he can bail out.

If I had a car with PSM, which I do, I would not drive with it on. Why would I want the car doing things behind my back? I want to know what effects my inputs have. I don't want them masked or fixed by the car. Nor do I want the car to try fix something it thinks is mistake that I am actually doing on purpose.

Scott
I am speaking about new to semi-new track drivers that think they need to turn buttons off and buy sticky tires to go fast. Of course an advanced student can drive with the button off or on. If they are not listening to the instructor and driving out of control then by all means I will get out and they are free to not learn, drive bad, and maybe hurt themselves.
Non of my cars have psm/dsc but if they did I would turn them off. i even turn them off on rental cars rain or shine.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
New students have no business turning these systems off in my opinion. After they are signed off to solo they can experiment on there own or continue to work with an instuctor on mastering the skill they need to have (the smarter choice) to allow them to operate without these systems.

If they are green and my *** is on the line in the seat next to them, PSM stays on and that's not just my policy, many PCA regions instruct novice students to keep PSM on.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 PM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, thanks for kicking this off and for the great advices. I read through all of them and found them invaluable.

What's your take on "pre-requisites" that students need to focus on improving first before they advance to the next level? How do you segment students' skill levels? For example, what are the skills that an mid-level student needs to improve on first, before they move on to other skills e.g. optimizing slip angle, racecraft, etc.?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irysfan
Dave, thanks for kicking this off and for the great advices. I read through all of them and found them invaluable.

What's your take on "pre-requisites" that students need to focus on improving first before they advance to the next level? How do you segment students' skill levels? For example, what are the skills that an mid-level student needs to improve on first, before they move on to other skills e.g. optimizing slip angle, racecraft, etc.?
That is a really good question. In many ways, it depends on the individual, how they learn, their personality type, what is motivating them in the sport, etc. However, to me, one of the most fundamental skills that requires dedication is line discipline. I see too may drivers, even at advanced levels, not tracking out all the way (for example). This is a great way to kill exit speed & bind up (and possibly cause instability in) the car. Another example is not looking anywhere near far enough ahead. And yet another example is downshifting the instant they get on the brakes. There are many more. So in many ways, the basics are where mid level students need to focus.

I believe that things like the above, as well as smooth heel/toe downshifting, left foot braking, driving effortlessly off line, making the transition from brakes to throttle perceptible more via engine sound than longitudinal G's, etc., are key differentiators as drivers advance...
Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That is a really good question. In many ways, it depends on the individual, how they learn, their personality type, what is motivating them in the sport, etc. However, to me, one of the most fundamental skills that requires dedication is line discipline. I see too may drivers, even at advanced levels, not tracking out all the way (for example). This is a great way to kill exit speed & bind up (and possibly cause instability in) the car. Another example is not looking anywhere near far enough ahead. And yet another example is downshifting the instant they get on the brakes. There are many more. So in many ways, the basics are where mid level students need to focus.

I believe that things like the above, as well as smooth heel/toe downshifting, left foot braking, driving effortlessly off line, making the transition from brakes to throttle perceptible more via engine sound than longitudinal G's, etc., are key differentiators as drivers advance...

The biggest in my mind, and I am sure Dave's too only it's so obvious it goes without mention many times, is being safe.
Safety is always the #1 importance to me when coaching and instructing and considering a student for advancement. I always take this further than most instructors discussing safe exit routes and preparation for the unknown. Also looking further ahead to see flags, other drivers, things on track, etc etc.
A great by product of this is that they also become better, or safer, drivers on the public roads as well.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yup. +1
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turning off PSM is no guaranty that it won't intervene. I had a hairy "ice mode" brake pedal on Friday at 150mph with PSM turned off. The brake pedal decided to push back when I needed it most. Luckily I had visualized this scenario in my head previously and what I would do in case of brake failure. There is an access road that connects to the skid pad and I was able to release the brake pedal and reapply while steering onto it. It saved my bacon, as the only alternative would have been the gravel trap and shaking hands with Mr. Tirewall.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

That isn't PSM...
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Enlighten me, what was it?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Just a quirk of ABS seen on many cars, with & without stability controls.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:01 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Enlighten me, what was it?

If the pedal pushed back then it was not "ice mode" either.
I agree with VR, ABS.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:24 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ice mode is when you press the brake pedal down and nothing happens...... at least that is what happened twice in my Cayman S, kind of scary moment.....

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH