Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I am not so sure I agree with this . The other car's trajectory made this a low probability move.

To me blame is shared.
The car turned in on him. He altered his trajectory. In fact, he probably could have gone faster if he had not turned in. Look at the line the yellow car in front took.

I don't know the racing room rules for that organization and I don't know what admonishments were given in the driver's meeting so I could be all wet.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
The car turned in on him. He altered his trajectory. In fact, he probably could have gone faster if he had not turned in. Look at the line the yellow car in front took. I don't know the racing room rules for that organization and I don't know what admonishments were given in the driver's meeting so I could be all wet.

Hmmm.

I would have backed out of the pass.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:04 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Hmmm.

I would have backed out of the pass.
And then gotten back on gas sooner as the lead car had screwed himself via his line, thus me exiting with more speed allowing for an easy run to be made on him down the next straight and into the next corner.

Or ..... been on the gas and turned left when he made contact with me thus turning him and not me.
But only in PRO racing and then I would be ready for the retribution at the next race.

Seriously, I would have gone with my first option.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The car turned in on him. He altered his trajectory.
It was a right turn and the lead car was turning right like everyone else -- that was his trajectory. He also left at least a car width + inch racing space at all times during the turn. It wasn't his fault that the video car was going too fast to fit into the racing space available to him and was forced to "track out" into the lead car due to his speed.

When/if I'm taking the inside like that, it's my responsibility to drive at a speed that will allow me to hug the very edge on the inside since that is all the space that the passed car is obligated to provide me. I can't assume that he will be charitable and give me all the space that I need to track out without hitting him. It was a "Hail Mary" pass attempt. The lead car was at most at 30% fault, if at all.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New topic:

Mosport

Would any of you be kind enough to review this vid and post a reply. Any and all responses are welcome.

Just for reference, the passing cars are tuned and on slicks. My car is street legal stock.

Checking recommendations for lines, braking and throttle etc.

Thanks Coach

https://vimeo.com/145034324#t=0s
Old 04-04-2016, 03:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Line looks decent especially for a pure street car. Can't really tell when you're braking in the video, but it seems you're coasting a bunch on a couple of places...
Old 04-04-2016, 05:13 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Agreed, there seems to be too much coasting, not enough intent.

T8 to T9, release wheel earlier and go straighter to T9; don't worry too much about turn in to T10
T1 apex is pretty much at the drain, past the curbing, so you can keep bringing the car in right to the end. You should be flat out by then
T2 turn in, you are all the way right under the bridge (no need to go all the way to the right); you should position your car 1 to 1.5 car widths off of the right side at turn in. Then earlier on the gas on the way down and around T2, between the 2 apexes
MORE gas between T4 and T5; on the gas before the bridge and gradually more going down the hill, to momentary flat out before braking, going up the hill to T5a

Silver 911 does good.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yes, definitely agree with regard to T2
Old 04-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks VR! Position is more of a concern to me than speed as it is my street car and that track has a nasty habit of eating cars…I generally run at about 8/10ths 0f the cars capabilities. My LF tire is getting distorted even at this pace.

Really appreciate your input as well Francois, thanks very much for your valuable comments. I can see very clearly where I could tighten up the apex and get on the throttle earlier now. Your race vids are great BTW!

Thanks guys!!
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Theory question - when turning the steering wheel, do you recommend using the top or bottom hand more? Ie pull down or push up?
Old 04-10-2016, 04:14 PM
winders
Race Car

A combination of both. Share the load.....
Old 04-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

A combination of both. Share the load.....
+1
Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull down for coarse; push up for fine tuning. I.e., if right turn, right hand pulls for most effort while left hand tweaks/assists for precision.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:53 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by FFaust
Pull down for coarse; push up for fine tuning. I.e., if right turn, right hand pulls for most effort while left hand tweaks/assists for precision.
This really makes very little sense to me.

When turning a wheel, you have the most control and precision if both hands are working together equally. Hands do that, by nature, more effectively. Trying to vary input from one hand to the other is harder to do and is more error prone. It takes more brain power to do to which is not what you want.

This will result is the least amount of fatigue as well.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

This really makes very little sense to me.

When turning a wheel, you have the most control and precision if both hands are working together equally. Hands do that, by nature, more effectively. Trying to vary input from one hand to the other is harder to do and is more error prone. It takes more brain power to do to which is not what you want.

This will result is the least amount of fatigue as well.
+1. Also, much better to "listen" to the car through two hands ("channels") vs one. Redundancy minimizes communication error.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH