Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Scott it was at Thunderhill over the top. I got a great drive out of 2 he took inside of 3 we went door to door around 3 through four and into five as you know over the top of 5 is blind and due to the entry cure and angle I was able to get ahead going into braking I had taken this line in the first sprint but was going slower due to traffic in front and think I did a better job of rotating tighter to the big curb and stayed more left over the hill. In this pass we were moving much quicker I went a bit deeper still turned really hard to stay left but maybe not quite enough. No contact and no harm he just ran out of track over the top. I think if he had slowed more he could have made it and the National steward agreed I left him just enough room (barely) so my take away is I will have to make sure I can rotate the car tightly to apex and stay enough left over the hill if I try that again.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 766 Posts

Can you email me video if you don't wish to post it here?

Dave@racecoach.net
Old 03-16-2016, 11:27 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 774 Likes on 392 Posts

That's a lot of turns to run side by side. Sounds like fun! Yeah, turn 5 over the top is blind and tight. If I were on the outside going up to 5, I would have just let the guy on the inside have the corner. Especially if his car was ahead, even slightly, of mine.

Why? It's not a great corner to try and share space. If the guy is faster than I am, I might as well let him go. If I am faster, I can probably get him someplace else. It's all about avoiding situations that can turn ugly.

The video would be interesting to see if you have access to it.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:29 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the old saying is ........

To finish first, one must first finish !

It is just Club racing afterall, how much is the purse and how big is the trophy ?
LOL
Old 03-17-2016, 12:08 AM
tahoelife
Racer

I will try to get the guy behinds video the person next to me camera view does not show everything and as I stated before gopro failed me so have since ordered new cameras that work with my data system. As far as being faster I was faster through this section however our fastest lap times I was only just over a tenth faster. This individual is very fast and very experienced. I will do my best to procure both videos his and from behind.

Yes was second time this weekend I went door to door from 3-5 the previous run lasted side by side through 6 was fun and intense making sure to stay clean.

Yes no prize money and only hobby however everyone who chooses to do this hobby has some level of competition in them or why be there. I want to insure clean racing for my self and others and agreeing with Scott if I had been stuck on the outside of 5 and slightly behind I would have had to concede the corner
Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Everything seems to fail when you need it most. I have two cameras for this reason.

Originally Posted by tahoelife
I will try to get the guy behinds video the person next to me camera view does not show everything and as I stated before gopro failed me so have since ordered new cameras that work with my data system. As far as being faster I was faster through this section however our fastest lap times I was only just over a tenth faster. This individual is very fast and very experienced. I will do my best to procure both videos his and from behind.

Yes was second time this weekend I went door to door from 3-5 the previous run lasted side by side through 6 was fun and intense making sure to stay clean.

Yes no prize money and only hobby however everyone who chooses to do this hobby has some level of competition in them or why be there. I want to insure clean racing for my self and others and agreeing with Scott if I had been stuck on the outside of 5 and slightly behind I would have had to concede the corner
Old 03-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dan212
Everything seems to fail when you need it most. I have two cameras for this reason.
When I worked for Uncle Sam, we called that the Critical Need Sensor.

That's why we had two redundant two way digital radios and repeaters in any vehicle SecState or a foreign head of state would ever be in...
Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM
tahoelife
Racer

Default Busted

Welp I just saw the video from the car behind I clearly ran way to wide at exit and am very fortunate we did not touch. We both were to deep in the corner I have a lot to learn. The video link form car behind is the entire thing until he goes off trying to make a pass in the fastest corner of the track. The short version of my part is from minute 8:30 to 9:45 . I started race in P6 due to running the rain tire in the prior race (poor call on my part) I had caught the lead battle on lap 3 the driver in P2 makes a dive bomb move at 8:33 which allowed me to get by into p2

I await my learning advice thank you for constructive criticism

Old 03-17-2016, 11:17 AM
sierralima
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Viking, yes, there is a video on YouTube of that car involved in contact in the second race Saturday.

One of the reasons I stopped doing some of the fitness competitions was I could see some of the participants were willing to injure themselves in order to place higher. I just couldn't get my head around that. I found the intensity of SM very intimidating at first, but I have to admit the action and conversations afterward are quite entertaining.

Mike, you were asking about how slick MSRC was in the wet. Unfortunately, I had the same issue w/ my camera only working 3 of my 8 sessions in the wet on Friday, but here is a sample.

I want to get better at catching this stuff earlier (although I cut out all the boring parts where I did). Lol, I think part of it was I was just so excited to feel power on oversteer again.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:27 AM
sierralima
Instructor

[QUOTE=tahoelife;13115094]Welp I just saw the video from the car behind I clearly ran way to wide at exit and am very fortunate we did not touch. We both were to deep in the corner I have a lot to learn. The video link form car behind is the entire thing until he goes off trying to make a pass in the fastest corner of the track. The short version of my part is from minute 8:30 to 9:45 . I started race in P6 due to running the rain tire in the prior race (poor call on my part) I had caught the lead battle on lap 3 the driver in P2 makes a dive bomb move at 8:33 which allowed me to get by into p2

I await my learning advice thank you for constructive criticism

I appreciate you posting. You guys are so far apart. I have not done TT, but rookie racing is a steep learning curve....
Old 03-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Welp I just saw the video from the car behind I clearly ran way to wide at exit and am very fortunate we did not touch. We both were to deep in the corner I have a lot to learn. The video link form car behind is the entire thing until he goes off trying to make a pass in the fastest corner of the track. The short version of my part is from minute 8:30 to 9:45 . I started race in P6 due to running the rain tire in the prior race (poor call on my part) I had caught the lead battle on lap 3 the driver in P2 makes a dive bomb move at 8:33 which allowed me to get by into p2 I await my learning advice thank you for constructive criticism Video Link: https://youtu.be/CjqMIoz14SI
So tha car in question is yellow 11?
IMO the problem was you were not in control of your car and forced him wide...
Old 03-17-2016, 12:29 PM
tahoelife
Racer

I do not disagree I forced him wide. Yes Yellow 11 I am in red 10
Old 03-17-2016, 12:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I do not disagree I forced him wide. Yes Yellow 11 I am in red 10
My only suggestion was that, had you not just chopped right in front of his nose, it would have been an awesome pass IMO. Just give him a bit more room...it was really not far from stellar...
Old 03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by sierralima
Mike, you were asking about how slick MSRC was in the wet. Unfortunately, I had the same issue w/ my camera only working 3 of my 8 sessions in the wet on Friday, but here is a sample.

I want to get better at catching this stuff earlier (although I cut out all the boring parts where I did). Lol, I think part of it was I was just so excited to feel power on oversteer again.

For some reason, watching that made me think of the chorus to

:-).

Agree with the bolded. I've even been practicing with my other M3 while commuting. No where near the limit, of course, but thinking more about what the car is going to do with the next input.

-Mike
Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sierralima
I'd recommend keeping your hands on the wheel at 9 & 3 for as long as possible(~180* of correction) when counter steering, yes you can let the wheel slide through your hands and catch the wheel when the car catches, but the problem is you loose your reference of what/where straight is. Getting the wheel back straight at the proper time is the hardest part of catching the car and it not turning into a tank slapper. You also have a tendency to dial in too much steering angle in the wet when the car is under steering/hydroplaning, stay calm and keep the wheel at what you think the proper steering angle input is, when it catches it'll be much smoother and in turn faster.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH