Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
This really makes very little sense to me.

When turning a wheel, you have the most control and precision if both hands are working together equally. Hands do that, by nature, more effectively. Trying to vary input from one hand to the other is harder to do and is more error prone. It takes more brain power to do to which is not what you want.

This will result is the least amount of fatigue as well.
This 'different roles' for both hands was stated by people a lot smarter than I, and I have confirmed it in my own 'feeling' while driving.

I agree that it is not something that you can, nor should, consciously try to do, but I suspect that we all do it, just because of the way we are built, because of the relationship between our bodies (arms) and the steering wheel; top arm extended and lower arm bent, closer to the body.

Yes, driving is definitely a 2-hand activity, but I have confirmed, in my own driving, that both hands work slightly differently depending on whether they are pulling or pushing.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:04 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Default ASK THE COACH

I find that my shoulders and arms are less tired at end of day if I try to pull down with right arm when turning right and vice versa. I probably have all kinds of other bad habits and I certainly have to work hard to soften my grip which may contribute to fatigue.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermoose
I find that my shoulders and arms are less tired at end of day if I try to pull down with right arm when turning right and vice versa. I probably have all kinds of other bad habits and I certainly have to work hard to soften my grip which may contribute to fatigue.
Softening grip is huge. Partial palm and fingertips only in cars with seats/harnesses IMO
Old 04-11-2016, 09:41 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Softening grip is huge.
+1
Switching to Sparco gloves (with high grip HTX surface) few years ago was eye-opening for me.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:53 PM
KJM9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1. Also, much better to "listen" to the car through two hands ("channels") vs one. Redundancy minimizes communication error.
++1!
Old 04-11-2016, 03:32 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 886 Likes on 435 Posts

Look at what happened when the FIA mandated a single hand control for the clutch versus the dual hand controls allowed last year. Universally, the drivers are having much more difficulty getting consistent launches.

Why? Two hands working together have much more feel and precise control than one.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 830 Posts

That's what she said
Old 04-11-2016, 04:38 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Interesting responses thanks

... I ask as the Instructor at the PSDS at Silverstone Experience Centre said what Thundermoose did above i.e. pulling down w right hand to turn right (with left hand stabilizing and helping) and visa versa for left turn.

Claimed it was easier movement for the muscles (this was also linked to seating position with arms bent not straight) and hence better/more efficient - pecs stronger than forearms etc
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

We have a very well respected LSRPCA classroom instructor who advocates pulling down, but frankly I've never been able to do it consciously. I just steer the car. It's not like it takes a lot of effort with power steering. A manual rack may change things.

As others have indicated, I do better if I loosen my death grip on the wheel which ironically I find easy to do without gloves. It looks funny when I really practice it as I drive around pinkies up. I know I've really blown this if my hands are sore at the end of the weekend. Hmm, I wonder if I could add a steering wheel grip sensor to my data?

I've got some video of this, but frankly, the "standard" is what I observed when VR drove my car years ago:

Traffic didn't cooperate very well, but it shows the point.

-Mike
Old 04-11-2016, 05:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Look at what happened when the FIA mandated a single hand control for the clutch versus the dual hand controls allowed last year. Universally, the drivers are having much more difficulty getting consistent launches.

Why? Two hands working together have much more feel and precise control than one.
I've never seen a surgeon grab a scalpel with 2 hands.....
Old 04-11-2016, 06:37 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Give us a break. Different scenario. Some tasks can be accomplished properly with one hand only. Throwing a ball is another example.

Power aside, people have more control and precision swinging a bat or a golf club with both hands/arms.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Also, what is the surgeon usually doing with his off hand? Is it behind his back? Nope......it is right in there working with his other hand which allows him to be more in control, more precise. I have a surgeon in the family, by the way, but ask one yourself.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:58 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Matt & Winders ... One thing about the light touch approach that worries me if that if front wheels hit a divot or dip under braking and wheel jumps out of your hand .... Especially dips in middle of fats sweepers etc .... I try relax my hands on straight but prefer a solid grip in high speed sweeps or coming into the big braking zones
Old 04-12-2016, 02:42 AM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by HiWind
Thanks Matt & Winders ... One thing about the light touch approach that worries me if that if front wheels hit a divot or dip under braking and wheel jumps out of your hand .... Especially dips in middle of fats sweepers etc .... I try relax my hands on straight but prefer a solid grip in high speed sweeps or coming into the big braking zones
I am not sure what others are saying about grip pressure, but light grip pressure, to me, means no death grip. You want enough grip pressure to control the steering wheel but no more than is necessary. The phrase "appropriately firm" is better than "light". The goals are threefold: improve feel, improve control, and reduce fatigue.

Assuming you know what you are doing on the track, you know when the steering wheel may move with some force and you adjust the grip pressure accordingly. Oh, make sure your bumpsteer is not too far out of whack too.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:24 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, definitely agree with regard to T2
Whoops, posted the wrong one. Thanks for the invaluable input from both.

Apologies to the last post.

For what it's worth, I wondered about this as well and lean toward a balanced application dictated by circumstances. Didn't think others were looking at this as well.

https://vimeo.com/144095076

Last edited by Sir5n; 04-12-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH