Sponsored by:

ASK THE COACH

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Mike, don't just look at the braking. Also look at how and when you are getting to gas.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Mike, don't just look at the braking. Also look at how and when you are getting to gas.
Bingo
Old 05-03-2016, 09:18 AM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

They're a little lengthy, but worthwhile...
I started with the "what can I learn from my data" that is on the same site

it is simple but amazing stuff.

I need to figure out how to get my Porsche TPA data into circuit tools and as importantly figure out how to analyze or at least review my key datapoints quickly between sessions

looking forward to reviewing the videos pointed out by peter
Old 05-03-2016, 04:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
mike - have peter chang take your car out and put down a reference lap. he did sub 1:50 in his car last fall at TWS NASA.
I don't see any relavence in Chang's data for Mike. Two completely different cars. Chang has aero and probably at least an extra 100hp. Might as well be comparing data from my old Spec996 to my wife's 944S2. Mike has data from Dave in exactly the same car.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I've got plenty of reference data. Once I start knocking on 1:53-1:54 I may need more scoop.

I also need to keep weekend plans simple, so my Saturday plan for the next weekend at TWS is flat into T1* and getting my brake attacks to look more like VR. IMO, my brake decays look good enough for now. I'm hoping that by better braking, I'll be able to get to the gas faster. Goal is to look at the data every session and not bother with viewing the video. It is easy for me to re-create the TM long-g plots I've shown here with the latest data set. Need to keep this activity as brief as possible because I will be instructing and have students. For my current challenge, the long-g plot contains much more info than any video does. I will take video, just not prioritize reviewing it during the day.

If I don't achieve Saturday's goal, I'll try again on Sunday. If I do, Sunday's goal will be getting to gas faster.

*I think the best way for me to get flat into T1 is to take out the 5-4 downshift until I can do it. That way there is less going on and I can concentrate on changing the brake mechanics starting at 120MPH entry while maintaining throttle. I've done that before according to the data. Then start bumping it up 1 or 2 MPH at a time until up around 135 MPH, which is what VR's data says the car will do in addition to data I've seen from SierraLima in her M3 with similar tires. My mind knows 135 is reasonable in that section of the track - I just need to convince my heart. Once the new mechanics are stable, I'll throw the downshift back in by backing off a bit, getting used to the shift and working the speed back up.

I can't wait to try this, as I've always thought my T1 entry was pretty good (even with all that coasting or excessive breathing of the throttle). This was judged by the way I would catch and leave other cars at that point in the track. If I can do what Mr. Scott does, I'll be able to positively smoke them there.

Peter, those video links were fantastic. Didn't take me long to pick out my braking issues after watching you demonstrate it. Thanks again.

-Mike
Old 05-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Good plan!

By the way, the two laps I sent you, which you posted above, I had passengers.

EDIT: I would advise not trying to go flat straight away. It's ok to breathe the throttle over the transition to give you peace of mind, and then work up the amount of throttle GRADUALLY... Much safer and much less likely to have an unwanted surprise.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Good plan!

By the way, the two laps I sent you, which you posted above, I had passengers.

EDIT: I would advise not trying to go flat straight away. It's ok to breathe the throttle over the transition to give you peace of mind, and then work up the amount of throttle GRADUALLY... Much safer and much less likely to have an unwanted surprise.
The last time I tried a big change was the big oops in T6 that resulted in nearly a kilobuck of damage and six weekends to fully clean up - don't want to do that again.

I'm going to follow the advice I give my students to keep them from braking on the banking before T1, don't go any faster down the front straight that you are comfortable with turning down, going over the transition, and into T1. No brakes and on the throttle.

With my current "technique" I've done 120 MPH there. So that's the start point, no throttle breathe, just keep it at 120 from S/F to the real braking point of T1. Then 121, 122, 123 ... and hopefully up to 135, which the data says is possible. Will likely take out the 5-4 shift and put it back when I'm comfortable. The goal is not a new PB, but to get rid of that ugly step I have in long-G going into T1.

The nice thing about it is the car's HP and length of the straight mean I will likely get to 120 just past the S/F. Progressively higher numbers will take it deeper and deeper into T1. You don't get to 135 until way past the transition. I think it will work well to think of S/F to T1 braking the way one thinks about committing to a turn after the braking point - only apply more throttle through the exit, no lifting (don't apply any throttle that you will have to quickly take away). I hope that makes sense.

-Mike
Old 05-04-2016, 03:08 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What you'll notice most when come across the transition at 140 is that you run out of time if you are mentally planning like 110. I watch SM videos and think that looks a lot easier to get right. Add speed and time to adjust disappears.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:14 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
What you'll notice most when come across the transition at 140 is that you run out of time if you are mentally planning like 110. I watch SM videos and think that looks a lot easier to get right. Add speed and time to adjust disappears.
This is a direct result of tunnel vision and not mentally preparing for the corner well before you are actually in the corner. As a coach I have a few drills that can help with this and then 140mph seems like 80mph, it's just a non event.
The concept is tough to learn but once you do it's very enlightening.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Exactly.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Dumb Watkins Glen question that isn't anywhere I can find on the internets and I didn't want to start a new thread for:

Do they sell 93 at the pump at the track?
Old 05-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I believe so
Old 05-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 937 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Dumb Watkins Glen question that isn't anywhere I can find on the internets and I didn't want to start a new thread for:

Do they sell 93 at the pump at the track?
It's been a while since I bought fuel at the track, but I thought there was only 100 unleaded and 110 leaded.. If I remember right it's VP and the lowest octane they make in unleaded is 98.

In town, I believe it's 91 octane.

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon and will try and remember to look.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks. My car is *cough cough* sort of street legal and if I can just buy it there it makes it simpler to pay the premium than worry about getting into town and back.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Matt may be right. I could have sworn there was a premium non race gas pump but I may be mistaken

Quick Reply: ASK THE COACH