Sponsored by:

email of DE accidents

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Yeah, fair enough, I won't argue that. But I don't get what the big cover up is all about. When I wreck, go ahead and have a ball, it won't bother me.
Frank, you are definitely entitled to your own opinion, but I suspect that there are many people who would prefer to at least be asked for permission to have their wrecks posted on the internet. I get that you have already stated permission for all of your misfortunes to be posted on the internet, but I doubt others would grant the same latitude.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Timing is and has always been the litmus test of a "speed event" for insurance companies. Timing is verboten at our DEs for that reason amongst others.
I'd suggest that anybody who is concerned about their coverage actually take a look at their policies and don't use the "internet" to figure out if they are covered or not. Policies differ widely across companies and differ widely in the same company if people are in different states (or countries). Even if your contract has the same language as somebody else's contract, two companies may differ widely in their willingness to try to not cover the incident.

For example, when my wife got into an accident in DE, we called up the insurance company and they had a few questions...
1) Were we on a racetrack? (Yes, we were)
2) Who else was in the car? (The instructor)
3) Was it a timed event? (No, it was not)
4) Was anybody else hurt? (No)

From the questioning that they had, it was clear to me that the big question was #4 (NOT #3). When you stop and think about it, it actually makes a ton of sense. The amount of money it takes to fix up a car pales in comparison to what it takes to fix up a person.

For that reason, I think it makes a LOT of sense for insurance companies to basically ignore DE's since the average DE person ends up being a lot safer on public roads than non-DE people (no stats to back that up though) and when a DE person gets into an incident, it is almost always a single-car incident (and when it isn't, the two cars are almost always going in the same direction), so the overall damage is generally a LOT cheaper than incidents on public streets.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
The message from Pete went to region presidents. In our region it was shared with the board. The point as I see it involves the taking of pictures of a damaged car. I would agree that it is just bad form taking a picture of a damaged car that is not yours. Gums does not mind if others take pictures of his misfortune, but that is not the general point of Pete's email. I have had my share of damage and I still have an in car video of my off from Zone 2 DE, 2010, posted on you tube. (search vb996 if you like) That is my call.

Nicely done communication Mr. Tremper.
Don't need to, I was right behind you and it was only through sheer luck that I didn't join you. Glad to see the car nice and shiny again! For the first time ever, I did take a photo (with my phone), of a car that went off last weekend but only because of the unusual place it ended up and I certainly won't be sharing it on a public forum.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are running DE's, you should consider coverage with Ontrackinsurance.com. I heard of a guy through a friend that bought a policy on his 996. Unfortunately, he had an accident and had to make a claim. His car is fixed and he is running again.

The company knows the high-performace insurance business and the owner is a PCA and NASA racer.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
My last PCA DE a few weeks ago at the drivers meeting they made a big deal out of guys with lap timers like Traqmate and/or transponders on the pit wall and video cameras and told everyone to turn them off or go home. They made a few take the transponder down too.

Our PCA club prez said insurance company's for PCA and car owners are finding these video's and talk about track times on the internet and are making a big stink that DE's are now timed events. Track owners and PCA clubs could lose out and not be able to offer DE events in the near future.
How on earth could they possibly police this? Especially with self contained systems like TraqMate and small HD video cameras?
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I did not get the email but I suspect the PCA brass has this scenario in mind:

"Hello Mr. Insurance Guy. We need to buy a general liability policy for our Driver's Education events."

"Sure thing. I can help you with that. Give me a few minutes, " says insurance guy.

Insurance guy pulls out his keyboard and googles "PCA DE CRASH" . . . .

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This is the problem. Help PCA help us keep our track events a reality.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 AM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run video sometimes and I like to time my laps. How does me timing myself cause a problem? The event is not timed.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

In my region we make a distinction between video and real time displays. The latter are not allowed. Traqmate is fine as long as there is no display inside the car.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I did not get the email but I suspect the PCA brass has this scenario in mind:

"Hello Mr. Insurance Guy. We need to buy a general liability policy for our Driver's Education events."

"Sure thing. I can help you with that. Give me a few minutes, " says insurance guy.

Insurance guy pulls out his keyboard and googles "PCA DE CRASH" . . . .

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

This is the problem. Help PCA help us keep our track events a reality.
That is not the scenario at all. I was the the Zone 1 Presidents meeting this past Saturday and this topic was discussed by Pete. There is not a law suit that is driving this and the insurance costs to regions for DE's have not gone up in the past few years. It is simply to respect the privacy of other club members and not to make the decision, of whether or not to to post photos/videos of their misfortunes, for them.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver8
That is not the scenario at all. I was the the Zone 1 Presidents meeting this past Saturday and this topic was discussed by Pete. There is not a law suit that is driving this and the insurance costs to regions for DE's have not gone up in the past few years. It is simply to respect the privacy of other club members and not to make the decision, of whether or not to to post photos/videos of their misfortunes, for them.
Well then, seems like something that PCA shouldn't be getting involved with unless it directly effects the club and it's ability to put on the events. Don't need PCA acting like a mother hen.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:15 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,059 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Timing is and has always been the litmus test of a "speed event" for insurance companies. Timing is verboten at our DEs for that reason amongst others.
Bob, it's important to realize that "timed events" are verboten because they establish an organized, competitive event, far and away from the DE format that the insurance companies agree to underwrite.

Speaking to K&K, Naughton and a number of other insurance companies as an event organizer over the last twenty years, their definition of a "timed event" is one where there is a publicly available, organizer supplied comparison of performance between participants, i.e. time sheets and posted times. An Autocross is a timed event, because all who run are graded, based on times recorded for each run.

No DE qualifies as a "timed event," period.

If there is a Time Trial element or Club Race element in addition to the DE event, ONLY that portion of the event is considered a "timed event."

The ban against in-car data and display (what do you do about cars with the Sports Chrono in the dash?) is ill-informed and incorrect.

Individual timing (through data displays or timers in the car) has NO competitive element, is not publicly available, nor is there any place at DE's where comparative times are posted.

It's time this fallacy was exposed and the fear of it dispelled.

There is NO timed event without a public, structured and organizer supplied comparison of participant performance.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Well then, seems like something that PCA shouldn't be getting involved with unless it directly effects the club and it's ability to put on the events. Don't need PCA acting like a mother hen.
It can directly effect it members. PCA understands that they cannot stop people from taking photographs and video of incidents, and that is not the intent of the email. What they are asking for is people to use good judgment before they decide to make those videos or photos of another members misfortunes public without that members consent.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I am all for privacy protection in this age of instant youtube via iphone.

Pete's request "shouldn't" be necessary in an ideal world, but it is. For those with manners, it will seem silly....but for those without manners, it could allow them to be excluded from future DE's and thus protect the vast majority of us from that stuff.....so I am for it. And I support a ban from future DE's if done, frankly.

And I think it is sad to need to be stated at all... I fully support Pete on this one.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis

Pete's request "shouldn't" be necessary in an ideal world, but it is. For those with manners, it will seem silly....but for those without manners, it could allow them to be excluded from future DE's and thus protect the vast majority of us from that stuff.....so I am for it. And I support a ban from future DE's if done, frankly.

And I think it is sad to need to be stated at all... I fully support Pete on this one.

Jeff
+1
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman
Bob, it's important to realize that "timed events" are verboten because they establish an organized, competitive event, far and away from the DE format that the insurance companies agree to underwrite.

Speaking to K&K, Naughton and a number of other insurance companies as an event organizer over the last twenty years, their definition of a "timed event" is one where there is a publicly available, organizer supplied comparison of performance between participants, i.e. time sheets and posted times. An Autocross is a timed event, because all who run are graded, based on times recorded for each run.

No DE qualifies as a "timed event," period.

If there is a Time Trial element or Club Race element in addition to the DE event, ONLY that portion of the event is considered a "timed event."

The ban against in-car data and display (what do you do about cars with the Sports Chrono in the dash?) is ill-informed and incorrect.

Individual timing (through data displays or timers in the car) has NO competitive element, is not publicly available, nor is there any place at DE's where comparative times are posted.

It's time this fallacy was exposed and the fear of it dispelled.

There is NO timed event without a public, structured and organizer supplied comparison of participant performance.
Well said. This summarizes exactly how I view these issues. I do not know however if PCA and other venues see it this way.

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis

Jeff
I agree. The gentlemanly or well-mannered thing to do is not to post up pics and vids of someone else's misfortune unless they told you it's OK to do so.

If someone had posted video of my wife's crash at Calabogie last year I would have been more than upset.

Quick Reply: email of DE accidents