Sponsored by:

email of DE accidents

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
I don't think Pete said he had any legal right to stop us filming. Nor did he ask us not to film (in car). What he did ask is that we do not share films of someone elses misfortune in public forums without the person in question's permission.
Yes, exactly.
I think most people on Rennlist are sensitive to this issue. Many crash videos here are posted by the owner of the car in question. I think it is reasonable to remind people now and then 'how would you feel?' if someone posted up your misadventure.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I had a pretty bad off this past weekend during a race. While I was being examined by medics and interviewed by stewards, my friends shepherded my car off to an enclosed garage away from the gawkers. It was a really thoughtful thing for them to do for me.
Yup. Once Jim the doctor told me you are 100% good to go, it's the first thing I thought of.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:15 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear mr Gums, respectfully let me remind you that Pete's email was with regard to DE. I do not believe that "shunts and such" are part of the sport of DE nor should they be considered part of the sport.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
I had a pretty bad off this past weekend during a race. While I was being examined by medics and interviewed by stewards, my friends shepherded my car off to an enclosed garage away from the gawkers. It was a really thoughtful thing for them to do for me.
Mike, just seeing this thread and sorry that you had a serious off.... Also glad that the tub is in good shape. Anything I have extra is yours.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Point well taken, Laurie, I didn't realize that we were making that distinction, so my bad. However, just as in life, we learn the most from our mistakes, painful as they may be. I still say we should study them, and judging from the participation that such videos generate, most would agree.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, Although I agree that studying mistakes can be educational I also sympathize with the position that the mistake effectively belongs to the author and that we should respect the right of said author to let them decide when a public discussion is appropriate and when not.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Frank, Although I agree that studying mistakes can be educational I also sympathize with the position that the mistake effectively belongs to the author and that we should respect the right of said author to let them decide when a public discussion is appropriate and when not.
^^^^^This is the bottom line.^^^^^
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, fair enough, I won't argue that. But I don't get what the big cover up is all about. When I wreck, go ahead and have a ball, it won't bother me.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,604 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Yeah, fair enough, I won't argue that. But I don't get what the big cover up is all about. When I wreck, go ahead and have a ball, it won't bother me.
Frank, I don't think it's a cover up. Rather, it is putting the decision whether to allow others to "have a ball" at the driver's expense 100% in the driver's court, where it belongs, rather than in some yahoo with an iPhone's court.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My take on this is if the DE policy is stated and drivers are advised that they are not to post a track incident without the involved persons consent, then the club is distancing itself.

Then if someone goes rogue and puts up a video, the club at the very least can say that they were not involved with the release of the information and that it is contrary to their policy.

I think we'll be sure to cover this at our DE drivers meeting.

(I also haven't seen the e-mail....so drawing the intent from the discussion)

Ken
Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM
ubercooper
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not believe that "shunts and such" are part of the sport of DE nor should they be considered part of the sport.
With all due respect, thats a load of crap. Human error is a massive part of this and especially when students are trying to perfect quick lines someone is bound to have a spin or an agricultural adventure.

he who is without shunt may cast the first stone
Old 03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Pictures

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Did you get an email 'Pete Tremper, National DE Committee Chairman: Filming of DE Incidents' today?

Is there a lawsuit happening or what is the deal? Just curious.
The message from Pete went to region presidents. In our region it was shared with the board. The point as I see it involves the taking of pictures of a damaged car. I would agree that it is just bad form taking a picture of a damaged car that is not yours. Gums does not mind if others take pictures of his misfortune, but that is not the general point of Pete's email. I have had my share of damage and I still have an in car video of my off from Zone 2 DE, 2010, posted on you tube. (search vb996 if you like) That is my call.

Nicely done communication Mr. Tremper.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:58 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The concept of not releasing someone misfortune to the internet for world consumption is one of common courtesy. Pete's request is reasonable, and it has been added to our region's driver's meeting notes.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My last PCA DE a few weeks ago at the drivers meeting they made a big deal out of guys with lap timers like Traqmate and/or transponders on the pit wall and video cameras and told everyone to turn them off or go home. They made a few take the transponder down too.

Our PCA club prez said insurance company's for PCA and car owners are finding these video's and talk about track times on the internet and are making a big stink that DE's are now timed events. Track owners and PCA clubs could lose out and not be able to offer DE events in the near future.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Timing is and has always been the litmus test of a "speed event" for insurance companies. Timing is verboten at our DEs for that reason amongst others.

Quick Reply: email of DE accidents