Narain Karthikeyen
0%
HRT Driver #2 TBD
1.16%
Timo Glock
0%
Jerome d' Ambrosio
0%
Takuma Sato (Fingers crossed for HRT #2)
2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
Agree - Massa was driving too defensively against Button and by the time Button had to go off track b/c Massa forced the issue they were side by side and Button had every right to have the outside of that corner. Thus, I don't agree with the penalty Button was given. Massa was holding up Button so that Alonso could catch up to them and he did. I laugh though that Button still managed to have a higher position but I think Massa should have been penalized with blocking as he made more than 2-3 moves on occasion to block Button.

Massa is simply the #2 driver to help Alonso by slowing up other competitors and allowing the easy pass for Alonso. He's simply a rolling roadblock for the other drivers. If Massa does this enough someone's going to punt him and I'm betting Webber will do so as he is not afraid to make contact.
I thought Massa did a good job of defending and Button deserved the penalty (he flat out broke the rules). His best shot to give back the position was right after Alonso went into the pits (that way he'd only lose one spot). I understand he was obviously "hot" from the heat of the battle, but he would have been better off if cooler heads would have prevailed on the pit wall and told him to give it back.

During the battle it looked like the Ferrari had superior straight line speed and the McLaren appeared faster in the corners.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
RBR proved they can beat the competition even by not using it. The top 3 drivers in qualifying on Saturday didn't use KERS - think about that for a moment. Hamilton's car had the system but it wasn't working properly so it actually hindered his performance by messing up his brake bias. The F-duct from last year was a much more exciting driver aid and showed true innovation. So, yeah, bring on the artificial rain Bernie...

And one more thing - Vettel was .4 sec faster in qualifying this year than last year. Despite all the rule changes that are supposed to rob the car of downforce.
Great points
Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
...I suppose you believe that Massa "gave his all" in defending that pass by Alonso (just like he did with Button)?...
No, again, like I said before ALONSO GETS PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. I CAPS LOCKED it, not in an attempt to scream at you but rather to ensure that you don't miss it this time, as apparently you did the last 4-5 times I said that.
I thought Massa did a good job of defending and Button deserved the penalty (he flat out broke the rules). His best shot to give back the position was right after Alonso went into the pits (that way he'd only lose one spot). I understand he was obviously "hot" from the heat of the battle, but he would have been better off if cooler heads would have prevailed on the pit wall and told him to give it back.

During the battle it looked like the Ferrari had superior straight line speed and the McLaren appeared faster in the corners.
+1 Look at that we agree on something.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Button did a no-no, he was not in front of Massa coming into turn 11 (he was side by side at best) and then he cut the corner for turn 12. He should have immediately given Massa back the position (while trying to prevent Alonso from passing him). But thanks to the "Team orders now allowed", Ferrari pounced on the situation and put Alonso ahead of Massa and you have to guess that Button did not want to give Alonso a freebee. Except of course a drive through penalty hurt Button more than giving Alonso the freebee. I like Button, but I am afraid Jenson screwed himself here thinking turns 11 and 12 were places you can pass in that scenario fighting the two Ferraris.

Last edited by My993C2; 03-28-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As one who likes Jensen (but realizes that he isn't the fastest guy out there Wayne) it was nice to see him fighting for position. I hope that he drives with renewed vigor this year. It would be nice to see him get another victory or 2.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
No, again, like I said before ALONSO GETS PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT. I CAPS LOCKED it, not in an attempt to scream at you but rather to ensure that you don't miss it this time, as apparently you did the last 4-5 times I said that.

+1 Look at that we agree on something.
So I point out that Alonso got a "cakewalk" pass from Massa and I'm a "hater" and should "******* grow up"

One page later and now you agree with the assessment.

Looks like there are two things we agree on. Too bad we had to go through the colorful semantics to get there.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:37 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I couldn't stand to see Massa so blatantly blocking Button and I wish he got crashed out for it.
He was very clearly slower and resorted to driving like an adolescent, which we now see on a regular basis.
Blocking should be punished, and the "one-move" rule doesn't do it.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:59 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I go to read up on the post race discussions. Massa was told to let Alonso by as soon as Button got past him so that Button would not give up the position.

Button was in front when they entered the corner and side by side when he went off b/c Massa didn't give him racing room, essentially forcing him off track. Massa was also in the wrong IMHO and the FIA did not consider that as an exception to the rule? If you are side by side - the car being overtake must provide enough room which Massa clearly did not as he went all the way to track out only leaving Button with one option. I think they should have allowed the pass as Massa was clearly slower and doing his job as the #2 driver to slow down cars in front so Alonso can catch up easier. If I was racing and did a Massa to some other driver in my series - I'd get a chewing by the race director. Massa is lucky Button didn't really retaliate any more than the little kink he did when he blew by him later in the race.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

So I point out that Alonso got a "cakewalk" pass from Massa and I'm a "hater" and should "******* grow up"

One page later and now you agree with the assessment.

Looks like there are two things we agree on. Too bad we had to go through the colorful semantics to get there.
Ray go read post #151. We've agreed on that since Germany last year, you apparently missed that point. I'm in agreeance with your assessment of the Massa-Button incident.

But if you feel you still need to argue, find one of A.Wayne's posts, go to town on that.

Btw your hatred/dislike for Alonso is evident by the fact that, based on driving capabilities, you would take Button over him.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:02 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
I couldn't stand to see Massa so blatantly blocking Button and I wish he got crashed out for it.
He was very clearly slower and resorted to driving like an adolescent, which we now see on a regular basis.
Blocking should be punished, and the "one-move" rule doesn't do it.
Fail. Massa was defending, which is his responsibility, he was in a points paying posistion. He only made 1 blocking move, that was to the outside on a left hander. After that he just worked to keep a faster car behind him. Nothing dirty about that. You probably think Petrov was blocking Alonso in the last race of last year too.

Want to see a PRO make a pass? Rerun the pass Vettel made on Kobiashi just after coming out of the pits on cold tires. He just put the pedal to the metal and whipped around on the outside. Smooth.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your fail. Massa was blocking repeatedly, and in different locations. It was poor form, but acceptable under the stupid one move rule, which the master block artist Schumacher had written into the rules for us. I hate him for it.
Kabayashi in a, what; Sauber (?) is no match for Vettel, let alone the leader. No analogy there at all.
Nor is there a parallel with Petrov, who just drove and stayed ahead on a Tilke track. Easy to do.
No, Massa was swerving WAY off line repeatedly.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

I was astounded to hear Hobbs' comments after 2 cars came together in a failed pass for position (I don't recall who the 2 drovers were). Hobbs said that the car being passed, which suffered nose damage, should have just "let him go" and ceded the position.

Um....say what? It's not a DE, Hobbs.

Did anyone else catch that comment? Even my wife was astounded by it.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL...WWWF1....

The Russians pay the vig , get a GP and petrov is now the next coming ..

Yep from zero to hero in his second year and considering he was on his way out last year at Renault until Bernie got paid .....

What a great show ahhh ....
Trump is a birther? ?? Oh sorry wrong forum....
Old 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What happened to scheumacher? I missed it. Why did he DNF?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by va122
What happened to scheumacher? I missed it. Why did he DNF?
MS hit from behind on lap one. Rosberg kamakazied by Rubens ala David Coulthard. Both dnfs not the fault of either Mercedes drivee

Quick Reply: 2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)