Narain Karthikeyen
0%
HRT Driver #2 TBD
1.16%
Timo Glock
0%
Jerome d' Ambrosio
0%
Takuma Sato (Fingers crossed for HRT #2)
2.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jaje
My issue is the overtaken car must give 3/4 to a car width of room for the overtaking car when he legitimately gets door to door. Massa did not give any room at all and went all the way past track out to force Button to either hit him or shortcut the corner b/c of bad racing etiquette - that is why the FIA should have taken exception to what is normally not allowed. Remember FIA has gray areas they use all the time. I'm not saying Massa should give it up easily b/c he's slower (you are allowed to race as hard as you can and defend your position) and Massa did a good job for many laps and he did a good job for his teammate by slowing up Button so he gained a position easily. But at least in NASA when I race I'm not allowed to push you off track to pass or maintain my position if you get door to door with me - I'm required to give you just enough room to stay there but not give you the pass.
That's true if the overtaken car is behind the overtaking car. However Button was never ahead of Massa. If you watch the video you'll see that Massa was a good 2 ft ahead at the closest point, and never behind Button.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My issue is the overtaken car must give 3/4 to a car width of room for the overtaking car when he legitimately gets door to door. ...

... But at least in NASA when I race I'm not allowed to push you off track to pass or maintain my position if you get door to door with me - I'm required to give you just enough room to stay there but not give you the pass.

Firstly NASA is not F1. NASA despite talking about "Pro-Racing" is club racing. Pro racing is different. Ever watch British Touring cars? Those guys complete a pass by shoving the other guy off track often by side by side contact. Of course someone else is paying their bills.

In this case Massa never forced Button off track. He merely forced Button to the wrong part of the track for the right hander. Legal in NASA too... At this point Button was approach a tight right hand bend from the right side of the track. He had three options. 1) Brake side by side with Massa and make the corner. In this case the corner would be his owing to track position. 2) Brake earlier and slow down more vs Massa not because he wanted to, but because he would not make the corner any other way. 3) throw in the towel and cut the turn cause you recognize you are going to fast to make the corner and then give the position back.

I have been in spots just like this in NASA races and had other drivers force me in to bad spot. Nothing dirty or illegal about it. Just racing. Massa gave Button 3 options that did not involve contact and in racing that is quite good.

One technique for holding position in racing is position your car in such a way as the passing car "runs out of room" or is forced to "go soo deep they can't make the corner". However good racing dictates that you give the driver the choice to run out of room or back out. Never leave him no options as that is asking for crash.

When you go side by side in NASA you are expected to give the other car some room, but that does not mean you give them all the space they want and just where they want it.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
...Tilke track...
I hate that guy for screwing up Formula 1 more than any Bernie or Max could even dream of (you want more passing? Ditch all Tilke tracks and bring back the real tracks, hello Todt, are you listening?) but Albert Park is not one of his screw ups.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
..."designer vagina"...

It couldn't be any better! No more Ms. Sunshine etc.

Designer Vagina...
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to 50 seconds out of the 1:24 to watch Button actually get ahead of Massa under braking on the outside of the corner into the first corner where he was side by side at the track out - Massa pushed all the way to the right at the apex of the turn - meaning Button had the inside line but choose to forgo contact when they tried to enter the 2nd turn by going off track. I'm not forgiving Button for his action of doing this but believe both should have been penalized b/c Mass pushed it too far. I understand they don't write the check for the car and it is not NASA amatuer racing but there's the guys who will do this to you and eventually they will create contact b/c they fight too hard when someone has the right to be next to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3_xOVtc2E

Notice Alonso within just seconds of this move is given a cupcake pass. To me that's too much team orders with Ferrari for me to support them. Alonso is their #1 driver and Massa is there simply to help him win - whereas with other teams they do let their drivers actually race for the win regardless of position.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I hate that guy for screwing up Formula 1 more than any Bernie or Max could even dream of (you want more passing? Ditch all Tilke tracks and bring back the real tracks, hello Todt, are you listening?) but Albert Park is not one of his screw ups.

It couldn't be any better! No more Ms. Sunshine etc.

Designer Vagina...
LMAO thought you'd like that name!

Tilke is designing the track here in Austin....
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
PPo
Drifting

Button could have stayed on the track, he had the room.... But he would have had to almost stop to make the next corner. Massa put his car exactly where he should have to avoid the pass. Good move by Massa IMHO.... If Button would have made the right call and let Massa re-pass... this all would have been a no brainer discussion.

If the exit road was not there, Button would have conceded the next corner... without question, he was out of position.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

I guess I won't ever concede this point as I don't think Massa is a fair player and his only role is a patsy for his teammate to win or improve his position by slowing down other drivers. I'd rather Ferrari field a 1 car team and focus on that driver they only really care about winning with. I don't see this clear #1 / #2 order at most other teams than I see at Ferrari. There is of course the don't take each other out rule that all teams have. I'm depressed the two Brazilian drivers in the series this year are Rubens and Felipe. Bring back Bruno and give him a ride in a worthy car.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...Tilke is designing the track here in Austin....
I know he is, and have looked at every track map etc. I've managed to see of it and have to say I'm very disappointed about it.

No doubt it will have great facilities and they will look impressive etc. but it will not be good for racing.

I don't get it. Jean Todt has finally called out the tracks and FIA is looking into improving tracks so that there can be more passing possibilities and that in future, track layouts will be more closely looked, not only for safety, but also for racing.

WTF have they been thinking in past years?!

They haven't realized it's mostly the tracks that make the racing bad?!

Haven't they seen awesome races in Spa, Suzuka etc. and then the boring races in all Tilke tracks (except Turkey which is good)?

They couldn't put two and two together until now?!

They've let this guy who designed some passage road in Nurburgring to go ahead and screw up huge amount of races in F1 while trying to come up with all kind of gimmicks to increase passing?!

Talk about stupid.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I know he is, and have looked at every track map etc. I've managed to see of it and have to say I'm very disappointed about it.

No doubt it will have great facilities and they will look impressive etc. but it will not be good for racing.

I don't get it. Jean Todt has finally called out the tracks and FIA is looking into improving tracks so that there can be more passing possibilities and that in future, track layouts will be more closely looked, not only for safety, but also for racing.

WTF have they been thinking in past years?!

They haven't realized it's mostly the tracks that make the racing bad?!

Haven't they seen awesome races in Spa, Suzuka etc. and then the boring races in all Tilke tracks (except Turkey which is good)?

They couldn't put two and two together until now?!

They've let this guy who designed some passage road in Nurburgring to go ahead and screw up huge amount of races in F1 while trying to come up with all kind of gimmicks to increase passing?!

Talk about stupid.
Racing .. F1 ?... it's a show Bud ....

PS: A year ago i told you Kimi was going to NASCAR....LMAO...Guess what?
Old 03-31-2011, 02:04 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Got to 50 seconds out of the 1:24 to watch Button actually get ahead of Massa under braking on the outside of the corner into the first corner where he was side by side at the track out - Massa pushed all the way to the right at the apex of the turn - meaning Button had the inside line but choose to forgo contact when they tried to enter the 2nd turn by going off track. I'm not forgiving Button for his action of doing this but believe both should have been penalized b/c Mass pushed it too far. I understand they don't write the check for the car and it is not NASA amatuer racing but there's the guys who will do this to you and eventually they will create contact b/c they fight too hard when someone has the right to be next to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3_xOVtc2E

Notice Alonso within just seconds of this move is given a cupcake pass. To me that's too much team orders with Ferrari for me to support them. Alonso is their #1 driver and Massa is there simply to help him win - whereas with other teams they do let their drivers actually race for the win regardless of position.
What if there was a wall there instead of an "escape Rd" ..Yep Button was at fault , very dangerous driving IMO..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Pirelli tires have been a topic of discussion in this thread. I thought that was an interesting statement from an article I read on the internet

In terms of tyre management, the best performance arguably came from Sergio Pérez, but the Mexican did more than just making the rubber last. His fastest lap was set on Lap 39, 17 laps into a 36-lap run on the Option tyre, almost precisely the midway point of the stint. It was an impressive feat, especially for a Grand Prix debutant with limited experience of driving a Formula 1 car.

It looks like we may see longer drives in future events this season. After all, if a rookie can do it, five World Driver's Champions should be able to figure it out

Food for thought
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
It looks like we may see longer drives in future events this season. After all, if a rookie can do it, five World Driver's Champions should be able to figure it out
And we're back to 2010 again.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pirelli tires have been a topic of discussion in this thread. I thought that was an interesting statement from an article I read on the internet

In terms of tyre management, the best performance arguably came from Sergio Pérez, but the Mexican did more than just making the rubber last. His fastest lap was set on Lap 39, 17 laps into a 36-lap run on the Option tyre, almost precisely the midway point of the stint. It was an impressive feat, especially for a Grand Prix debutant with limited experience of driving a Formula 1 car.

Food for thought
Keep in mind that the Australia race was unseasonably chilly. The warmer weather in Malaysia should help with some tire wear. I was surprised that the tracks weren't rubbering in, rather they were only being filled with "Clag". I wonder if P tires will be changing the compounds to make that happen...
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

if a rookie can do it, five World Driver's Champions should be able to figure it out
I must have watched a different race, because the race I watched the current World Champion raced his way to a very dominated win during the entire race weekend, while another former World Champion did very well coming in second considering the damage he had to the bottom of his car. Not to take anything away from the rookie Mexican who had a decent race, but 3 of the 4 top finishers in this race were all current or former WDCs.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LOL... yes you are Special ......

Quick Reply: 2011 Australian Grand Prix (looks like Bahrain is out)