Sponsored by:

Completely stripped down ready for transformation from 944SuperCup to GTS3/GTS4

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Musche
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Gary,
Talked with Noel the other day and he gave me the update. I saw it in person a few weeks ago when i picked up my tranny and it looks great. Looking forward to hearing about your first impressions on the track. Keep us updated!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
That's just about the same for me. I have had to set my car up to run slightly less than 300 rwhp to be able to run GTS4. It's either that or add a bunch of weight and I can't bare the thought!
After running the car on day 2 at 15lbs boost GTS4 is probably where I will race. What a blast!!

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's with the GT3076? Did you get the dyno chart Gary?
No dyno sheet, a few minor glitches to work out

Originally Posted by bobt993
Gary, start eating dounuts...... Runs the car in GTS4. I hope to have the upgraded engine for Hyperfest and participate. Otherwise it will be GTS3 for that event.
Started on the donuts! LOL!

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
+1 for Behe tuning......

Gary, you're going need some ballast.
24oz King Cut at the Seneca Friday night helped with the ballast
Behe is taking good care of my 968 at the moment, it needs a valve job

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Gary,
I saw the car yesterday while Sloane and his guys were putting the finishing touches on it. IT LOOKS GREAT!! They really did do a great job fabing everything up. All the systems are installed nicley and the fit and finish is top notch.

Good luch at The Glen this weekend.
I was so happy as I pulled into the paddock and saw the car, boy it looked good! Sloan and his guys did a great job!

Gary, look over the NASA guidelines when you are installing. They have some idiotic suggestion to use one bolt for every 15 lbs of ballast (IIRC). I don't know if the scruts can enforce it or not as it is written as a suggestion.
I had to bolt in a lot of ballast into the 968 to run in GTS2, the guys were pretty cool about it.

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Gary,
If you do need ballast give me a shout. I have some very nice high density lead plates that I bought a couple of years ago I could part with.

Tim
Sloan took the car back to his shop to finish it and sort out the less than expected amount of shack down glitches. The car ran pretty well for it's 1st time out. I left him with some ballast but if I need more I will definitely be seeing you for the lead ballast, thx Tim

Originally Posted by Musche
Hey Gary,
Talked with Noel the other day and he gave me the update. I saw it in person a few weeks ago when i picked up my tranny and it looks great. Looking forward to hearing about your first impressions on the track. Keep us updated!
Totally love the car!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Default 1st test event, pic's

Going to breakfast with family then coach a soccer game.
Will give a report tonight.
btw WOW! Very fast!

Name:  WGI 1st test 2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  WGI 1st test 4.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  WGI 1st test 1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  WGI 1st test 3.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  WGI 1st test 5.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  WGI 1st test 6.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  27.8 KB
Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Gary, sounds you've put together one helluva a 944. Glad it's all coming together.....

Valve job on the 968 already? Driving it like you stole it.....
Old 05-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Day 1 was spent running on low gradual boost so I could get a feel for the car. There are a few things to finish up on including final alignment and balance, there just was not enough time to get everything done.
After several sessions on track and some adjustments to shock settings and wing aggressiveness the car started to feel nice. It's a lot lighter now which feels great. The shock valving and spring rates felt good. Drove the corners at about 6/10ths for day 1 in case there were any problems.
The ABS did not work at 1st and we had to keep bleeding it and the brakes to get a resonable peddle. However by day 2 we discovered that the master cylinder were not that good. So lots of brake bleeding and pumping the brakes.

Day 2, turned up the boost. WOW! the car is quick! There was a glitch, a setting in the engine management. At meduim throttle after coming off gas for a corner it would misfire due to a low setting to do with fuel input. This was something I learnt to deal with as it would happen at certain corners and would go away immediately if I lifted of the gas for a split second. Jake found the problem in the data later that day and will reprogram tomorrow. Other than that occassional split second misfire the engine ran and accelerated great. There were some fast cars out there that I think were quite suprised when I came up on them . Didn't drive the car over 140mph on the back straight or 130mph on the front straight due to brakes and the occassional misfire but next week will be a little more fun

Day 2 handling was great. I drove at 8/10 in the corners, it responds real nice.

There were a few other minor glitches that we sorted out but it was a very successful 1st test event. Next week I will have the car back at the Glen with Chinmotorsports with some of little glitches fixed.

Special thanks to Sloan, Phil and Jake for being there and keeping the car and me on track
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Glad to hear it went so well
Old 05-01-2011, 11:55 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Gary it is nice to see you get this car built so well. You must be in 7th heaven! Well you will be when you can really open it up all the way.

Cheers,

Bill
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always a happy occasion! Like a christening, thanks for sharing, keep it coming.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Great news Gary. Pleased to hear.
So were you running 15psi max or did you go up from that? That turbo is designed to be happiest in the 25psi range so there's a lot more left on the shelf, although I realise that you can't increase power and are over the limit for your class now anyway. You might wind up switching to a smaller GT3071 turbo in the future if you have to add weight even now? Nice to hear how responsive it was with the weight loss though.
Get some incar video soon!!
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Gary, sounds you've put together one helluva a 944. Glad it's all coming together.....

Valve job on the 968 already? Driving it like you stole it.....
Glad to hear it went so well
Originally Posted by comatb
Gary it is nice to see you get this car built so well. You must be in 7th heaven! Well you will be when you can really open it up all the way.

Cheers,

Bill
Originally Posted by gums
Always a happy occasion! Like a christening, thanks for sharing, keep it coming.
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great news Gary. Pleased to hear.
So were you running 15psi max or did you go up from that? That turbo is designed to be happiest in the 25psi range so there's a lot more left on the shelf, although I realise that you can't increase power and are over the limit for your class now anyway. You might wind up switching to a smaller GT3071 turbo in the future if you have to add weight even now? Nice to hear how responsive it was with the weight loss though.
Get some incar video soon!!
Thx guys, this car was definitely worth waiting for. Sloan has already started with the shack down list we made at the track.
I'm very, very happy with what he and his guys have done for me
Old 05-08-2011, 07:59 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Looking forward to WGI tomorrow with Chinmotorsports .
Thanks to SSI for completing almost all of the shack down list in such a short amount of time. Well done guys
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Gary, are you going to be taking any video tomorrow?? Would love to see the car in action!!! Good luck tomorrow!!!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff951NJ
Hey Gary, are you going to be taking any video tomorrow?? Would love to see the car in action!!! Good luck tomorrow!!!
I'm going to see if I can rig up Heidi's video camera in the car. No budget at the moment for video set up

Quick Reply: Completely stripped down ready for transformation from 944SuperCup to GTS3/GTS4