Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely stripped down ready for transformation from 944SuperCup to GTS3/GTS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely stripped down ready for transformation from 944SuperCup to GTS3/GTS4

After taking most of this year off to save the money to build a nice car for GTS3, I have got started. The 1st move was to spend a few days testing the project car to see how much work was needed. Day 1 went fairly well, I discovered that the shocks needed a major overhaul and that the car had great potential but the reality was that it needed to be rebuilt from scratch.
Day 2 proved this when an auxilary oil line came apart on pit out causing me to imediately drive off track so not to put oil everywhere. See the picture below.
I loaded up the car knowing a complete rebuild was needed.
Next I stripped the car as much as I could then gave the car to a buddy of mine who offered to do the right job at a price that was within my budget. Please don't ask how much as that would not be fair to him.

At this point all the undercoating, wiring, mechanicals etc are removed and the car is being prepped for seam welding and removal of the spare tyre well. The cage is also going have some reinforcing done including the nascar door bars, a dash bar and improved attachment to the car.
I will post some before and after pictures as the progress takes place.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Garylimey; 05-04-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Good luck with the project. Will this be a turbo or NA car?

Originally Posted by Garylimey
After taking most of this year off to save the money to build a nice car for GTS3, I have got started. The 1st move was to spend a few days testing the project car to see how much work was needed. Day 1 went fairly well, I discovered that the shocks needed a major overhaul and that the car had great potential but the reality was that it needed to be rebuilt from scratch.
Day 2 proved this when an auxilary oil line came apart on pit out causing me to imediately drive off track so not to put oil everywhere. See the picture below.
I loaded up the car knowing a complete rebuild was needed.
Next I stripped the car as much as I could then gave the car to a buddy of mine who offered to do the right job at a price that was within my budget. Please don't ask how much as that would not be fair to him.

At this point all the undercoating, wiring, mechanicals etc are removed and the car is being prepped for seam welding and removal of the spare tyre well. The cage is also going have some reinforcing done including the nascar door bars, a dash bar and improved attachment to the car.
I will post some before and after pictures as the progress takes place.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by FredC
Good luck with the project. Will this be a turbo or NA car?
Thanks Fred, the car is a 951S. I will be changing the turbo though for a better one as the old one was completely beat.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Good luck, I look forward to watching the build
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice project Gary. What will be your restrictions engine mod wise? Is it purely power to weight or do you have to adhere to guidelines re components / capacity etc? Can you run E85?

Jayzus Tim, you sure upped the ante on the rear spoiler!!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

Jayzus Tim, you sure upped the ante on the rear spoiler!!
There are a number of 44's, 968's running them in the mid-ohio area with good success. I can always cut the uprights down if I don't like it.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:10 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Glad you're back Gary. Is this the car you bought last year? Keep the photo's coming....
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Nice project Gary. What will be your restrictions engine mod wise? Is it purely power to weight or do you have to adhere to guidelines re components / capacity etc? Can you run E85?
As I understand it, it is basically a power to weight ratio class. The ratio being a max of 11 to 1. We will be using a non stock turbo as well as the ViPek engine management system. I believe that as long as the power is within the limit for the class you can modify the engine to get the desired power.
Don't know about the E85.

Originally Posted by Lemming
Good luck, I look forward to watching the build
Thanks

Originally Posted by 93 FireHawk 968
Glad you're back Gary. Is this the car you bought last year? Keep the photo's coming....
Thanks Joe, yes it's that car.
You will no doubt like the 968 turbo hood scoop we are going to use
Attached Images    
Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Hey Gary, glad to see you getting back out there! I think I saw you listed for VIR in 2 weeks with NNJR. What will you drive then? Look forward to catching up with you!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey Gary, glad to see you getting back out there! I think I saw you listed for VIR in 2 weeks with NNJR. What will you drive then? Look forward to catching up with you!
Thanks Mike, I ended up having to cancel for the event. The car needed so much more work than we anticipated that it will take an extra week to finish.
I will probably be at Summit Point to test the car and then at VIR December 4/5 with Chin. If I don't see you before I will see next season with NNJR.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:02 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

FantastiK Gary! Glad to see you reactivating... Sounds like it will be a great fun build.... Look forward to seeing you on track...
Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Garylimey
As I understand it, it is basically a power to weight ratio class. The ratio being a max of 11 to 1. We will be using a non stock turbo as well as the ViPek engine management system. I believe that as long as the power is within the limit for the class you can modify the engine to get the desired power.
Don't know about the E85.
That's correct. Its strictly power to weight so you can do anything you want with the motor. The only requirement is that a Porsche chassis must have a Porsche engine. There are no restrictions on fuel. For GTS3 you'll want to get as close as possible to 11.0 to 1 if you want to be competitive. You'll also need a big splitter and a large rear wing like Tim's.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
FantastiK Gary! Glad to see you reactivating... Sounds like it will be a great fun build.... Look forward to seeing you on track...
Thanks Pablo, let me know what you plan for events next season so we can have some fun on track

Originally Posted by Jim Child
That's correct. Its strictly power to weight so you can do anything you want with the motor. The only requirement is that a Porsche chassis must have a Porsche engine. There are no restrictions on fuel. For GTS3 you'll want to get as close as possible to 11.0 to 1 if you want to be competitive. You'll also need a big splitter and a large rear wing like Tim's.
Our goal Jim is 2750lbs and 250whp. 100% right with the wing and splitter, we have them ordered. Here's a pic of the APR wing on someone else's car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

Good luck with the build Gary! Looking forward to seeing its progress and out on track next year.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, look forward to following the build!

Quick Reply: Completely stripped down ready for transformation from 944SuperCup to GTS3/GTS4