Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
"Ladder system".

Learning the fine art of racing in a 300+hp German slot car valued @~6 figures is fv<king insane. Maybe your buddies are impressed. Maybe you'll get boinked tonite. Maybe you'll go home with your car in a baggie.

If I were king, noobs would spend a season in 100hp crapwagons...maybe two...maybe more (they just might like it). Only when they displayed both good skills and GOOD JUDGEMENT would they be allowed to move up into bigger / faster / $$$ racing. That's what happens in most of the world, and those parts of the world don't exhibit the dysfunction that we see with those who just write a check and go racing in whatever will impress their buddies and get their crank yanked by Mrs. Racer-to-be.
Very well stated......agree 100%.......
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

"Ladder system".

Learning the fine art of racing in a 300+hp German slot car valued @~6 figures is fv<king insane. Maybe your buddies are impressed. Maybe you'll get boinked tonite. Maybe you'll go home with your car in a baggie.

If I were king, noobs would spend a season in 100hp crapwagons...maybe two...maybe more (they just might like it). Only when they displayed both good skills and GOOD JUDGEMENT would they be allowed to move up into bigger / faster / $$$ racing. That's what happens in most of the world, and those parts of the world don't exhibit the dysfunction that we see with those who just write a check and go racing in whatever will impress their buddies and get their crank yanked by Mrs. Racer-to-be.

Oh my. Did I just say that ? A thousand pardons......
So what you're saying is you didn't get your crank yanked.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think on any given weekend any run group (or sanctioning body for that matter) is susceptible to carnage. Watkins Glen last year was a crash fest in the non-GTC groups. Sebring (biggest showing of Cups this year) had very little carnage in the GTC groups that I recall.

With today's smaller fields, thus less run groups, thus bigger speed (forget about skill for a minute) differential, thus more opportunities for split second decisions by both the slower and faster car, thus a higher frequency of incidents.

The most dangerous thing I think I've been involved with to date in PCA was the restart in the combined run group enduro at VIR this year. Caution comes out with 4 laps to go. The race actually should have ended (time wise) under yellow but the stewards opted for one last green flag lap after the field had bunched up. Turn 1-5 at VIR with 30 cars from stock 994's to 997 RSR's. Add in several rookie drivers and guys in faster cars trying to weave through traffic for position and it was a meley... It was the most susceptible to multiple incidents situation that I have been in but it was also the most fun... Happy to say though that no incident occured on the last lap that I was aware of. Was that lucky? Probably so. Should the stewards have opted for the final green lap, probably not. If there had been some incidents, I don't know that you could have laid all the blame at the feet of the faster cars...
Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Too Agressive

Who wants to race with people that aren't agressive? Hey, let's go watch paint dry! Boneheaded moves are prevalent in ALL motorracing from Lemons to Le Mans.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't run with the PCA yet, but will at T.R.A.C., so I have no comments yet on how things are out there.

I have run under the 13/13 system before, though, and am not a fan.

I like an educational approach to dealing with contact, and have found that just finding who's to "blame" is too simplistic. There is always something from every party to learn from every incident, and this is lost when one driver gets the blame, and the other feels vindicated.

I have been on both the majority blame and majority victim ends of things over the years, but the guys at NASA Midwest - Bryan Cohn & Dave Royce, have always sat me down and given me things to think about, no matter how much in the "right" I was. In the end everyone improves their racecraft. If you do a bone head move, expect to be made a public example of, but on a learning basis, not a punitive one (unless you keep at it).

Early on in my "career", I had contact caused (or at least made worse), by not "skinning" a guy I was passing. The video is now part of the NASA comp school curriculum in some regions to teach that point. I learned my lesson, both from a racecraft perspective, and the chastisement of the publicity. Conversely, I was "hip checked" by a passing car that lost it underneath me recently. Clearly not my fault, but Dave Royce (NASA MW Director), had me think some more about how I deal with faster traffic - where best to let them by, and where it's better not to open the door. These are things that I would not have thought about, if I were feeling smug about being victimized, and the other guy being put on probation (which he was). Though I wasn't "at fault", I may have been able to minimize the risk of that incident developing through better racecraft (and would have been slowed up less to boot, by not leaving the door open in that spot).

There's a lot more to learn from every incident, or near miss, than who's to "blame"
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
http://www.vimeo.com/13838295

Mosport has crazy fast corners (100mph+ apex). In some corners when you are running at the limit is almost impossible to avoid the contact if the car in front spins.
wow, that cup car spin could have been really bad! sideways in the middle of the track around a corner ain't good
Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started racing in PCA in 1996, and quit 2006. During that 10 years I also ran SCCA, which is what I race exclusively now. I'd rather be stuck with a pack of Spec Miatas with my Civic SSC, than be in a lot of PCA races I have attended. When wrecking a $40,000 race car means nothing to you, then all the 13/13's mean nothing. So many PCA racers have enough money to burn a wet mule, so a penality that costs money is not effective. Most PCA Drivers Eds (Especially at Road Atlanta) sent more cars home all crinkled up than was done in your average SCCA club race.

Just MHO, no hard statistics

Bill Seifert
Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think another contributing factor is that many drivers don't get to race that often due to logistics. Lack of racing seat time impairs your judgement and makes the race that much more important.....
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

"Ladder system".

Oh my. Did I just say that ? A thousand pardons......
And how much does it cost to race "over there?" Kind of like here where we, as middle class, can afford all manner of pretty decent equipment? Or would you have to have almost a title of royalty to even sniff at tracking a 2.0 924?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
we, as middle class
'97 911C4S Factory Aerokit Stock Arctic Silver/Chestnut Brown
'95 993 3.8 NOT Stock Speed Yellow/Black (aka Kim's Yellow Zonker)
'93 911RSA X2 Both Guards Red/Black (Club Racer Cadaver + Stock Replacement)
'73 911T RS Clone 3.2L GP White (PRC Spec Racer)
'03 Radical SR3 1.3L
'03 Ford F-350 King Ranch 6.0 + Progressive stacker trailer
'08 smart Cab

Where does your Middle Class exist, I need a job!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I think another contributing factor is that many drivers don't get to race that often due to logistics. Lack of racing seat time impairs your judgement and makes the race that much more important.....
LMAO. you race more than pro's.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:23 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
'97 911C4S Factory Aerokit Stock Arctic Silver/Chestnut Brown
'95 993 3.8 NOT Stock Speed Yellow/Black (aka Kim's Yellow Zonker)
'93 911RSA X2 Both Guards Red/Black (Club Racer Cadaver + Stock Replacement)
'73 911T RS Clone 3.2L GP White (PRC Spec Racer)
'03 Radical SR3 1.3L
'03 Ford F-350 King Ranch 6.0 + Progressive stacker trailer
'08 smart Cab

Where does your Middle Class exist, I need a job!
OK, tell me where else a guy can run a couple of businesses marginally successfully over the years, and race more than in a POS spec class? Oh, and where a 911 is even available when you're a teenager, you can tinker with it, upgrade it with a plethora of old parts for the taking, and turn that experience into owning your own Porsche/BMW specialty shop when you get out of college? Bottom line is that we have opportunity here, and at a fraction of the price, of anywhere else in the world. If that means that someone a bit underqualified can buy his way in with a car a bit above his level, doesn't bother me in the least. If not, then I'd say exclude all of you who haven't made the same lifelong commitment to the marque. Of course, I won't be racing either since I'd be sharing the overhead of a race weekend with about eight others with similar experience..............

But to answer the class envy question, I'm basically unemployed going on one year now. (I receive "unemployment" in the form of monthly payments on a structured business buyout, and have another business I own absentee that's really only open for the sake of employing 6-8 people in lower middle class jobs.) Ultimately, living below our means has allowed me to enjoy the above, which if you add it up comes to about one Cup car. I've also probably paid out less than $2K over the years for mechanical work on any car I've owned. I'm actively pursuing purchasing another business, but can find no rationale for doing so in California. Alas, we're stuck here with my wife's bank VP gig. So all in all, yeah, I'm the guy who worked his way into that "top 1%", fallen to being a "drain on society", and would like to get back up there, all while employing 5-10-15 people.

So whenever anyone else wants to break that ultimate taboo and discuss income, I'm in.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hmm this thread has taken a bit of a turn. How about comments on the start of the Club race last weekend at Mosport. Check out the first and second place cars at the start..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w_kxAnOSyE
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
OK, tell me where else a guy can run a couple of businesses marginally successfully over the years, and race more than in a POS spec class?
I like my POS spec class
Old 08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Barfly
I think it is also typical of the fastest classes. Guys with big pocketbooks who want speed, but don't know how to handle it. Same goes for guys that drive Atlantics or fast sports racers. Reckless with no sense of responsibility. I wouldn't want some of those guys driving a Miata, let alone a high speed missile.
I don't totally agree with the comment about Atlantics and SRs. Particularly, there seems to be much more courtesy in the open wheel and mixed open wheel/sports racer run groups because the consequences are much greater. In any fender class you can bump and rub and go for a low percentage move because you've got a big cocoon around you. The results of leaning on someone are fairly unspectacular. Whereas, in an open wheeler bumping and even touching can send a guy to the hospital. I've watched lots of open wheel races and been competing in them for two years now and the amount of contact is very low to non existent.

Quick Reply: Has Club Racing Gotten Too Aggressive?