Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts
Default What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?

Would especially like to hear about experiences with coaches that frequent here. Keep it factual and no one's feelings should get hurt.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

For me, it was riding with Brian Redman in a friend of his' recently restored 1973 RS at Moroso, and watching the maestro use hands and feet and pedals and eyes in an amazing orchestration of fluidity and speed.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-18-2010, 06:27 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Would especially like to hear about experiences with coaches that frequent here. Keep it factual and no one's feelings should get hurt.
VR, Seth, and Cory [+Pat Long, Glen Smith, Randy Trice]. Mad props to them at the Pat Long training last year.

I know there are some mixed feelings about VR here, but in person - especially on the track - he is damned good at teaching you how to drive your platform.

-td
Old 05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Have had a few coaches work with me in the last few years. I am not a racer, of course (but you knew that). I don't buy a lot of coaching, though I should.
The best was Scott Leder, who seemed more interested in helping, which yielded more improvement and improvement that stuck. The others were fine and certainly technically competent, but I would say that they viewed their job as offering a tip here and there.
Scott has been a friend for years, so that may have helped (he already knew me and my car). My comfort level with Scott probably helped, too.
I'll bet there are some other terrific coaches that I don't know out there as well.
Is this what you were looking for?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
VR, Seth, and Cory [+Pat Long, Glen Smith, Randy Trice]. Mad props to them at the Pat Long training last year.

I know there are some mixed feelings about VR here, but in person - especially on the track - he is damned good at teaching you how to drive your platform.

-td
Mixed feelings about ME? Unpossible!!!

Thanks, TD. I am very flattered.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I'll bet there are some other terrific coaches that I don't know out there as well.
Is this what you were looking for?
Yes, thank you Rick. it's the "other terrific coaches" out there I hope to hear about also..
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used Dave Russell myself. Great guy and coach. Very calm inside the car and communicates very well. Got me to a point where I can run my no-tricks car right with the guys "flirting" with legality while only using his services one day. Worked with my father the second day and even dropped some time with him too. Best money I have spent on the car by far.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll throw David Murry's name into the mix. He was the first to really "explain," via words and on track coaching, the "physics" of handling a race car! Also, as everyone knows, picking a coach whose personality and driving style most closely approximate yours helps immensely!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kris Wilson. Long time Skip Barber instructor and ALMS, Grand-Am driver. After running my 6-cup for 2 years I hit a plateau. A friend was using him at Cal Speedway and I watch Kris turning 1:40 laps in this 6-cup so I hired him. Smartest move I ever made, he helped me enormously pointing out all the bad habits I had developed, and teaching me the physics of car control and tire management. I also benefitted from sitting in the right seat watching a truly great driver rock-n-roll.
" Oh my God we're going to die, oh wait, my cup can do that?".....

http://www.skipbarber.com/instructors/Kris-Wilson
Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I've only been coached by one person, Chris Cervelli, but the limited amount of time that I spent with him and and the amount of information that he passed onto me transformed my driving, taking me from a back-of-the-packer/mid-packer to someone who has a moderately decent shot at the podium. Chris helped readjust not only my technical approach on the track but also my technical approach in the paddock in terms of how I can make adjustments to the car and how to best interpret what I 'm feeling. Mentally, he also got me to take corners far differently than before. He was also totally committed, focused and present when I was with him and seemed truly interested in making me a better and faster driver, an method that I have always used with my own students.

I need another coaching weekend to take my driving to the next level and will probably use Chris if our schedules match and if the event is right.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 05-18-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:50 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

It's been rare that I've had a PCA instructor who has not helped me improve. Trackjunky (Bill Sisco), West Dillard, Hugh Brazier, Al Graci, hell even Robert Henricksen, have all helped me improve. However in terms of private coaching, I've only employed VR. Dave is extremely good at singling out exactly the right things for you to work on at whatever your level of expertise happens to be at the moment. And he always seems to communicate the concepts in a very clear manner. I've advanced pretty quickly, and Dave deserves a good deal of credit for that.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd here for Chris. I tend to be very smooth and Chris got me to push harder on turn entry, sliding the car up towards the apex. His positive and aggressive attitude is very contagious and made for a fun afternoon in the car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think Mike telling you to get out of your "comfort zone" is the best coaching you've ever had and he wasn't even in the car
Old 05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Kris Wilson. Long time Skip Barber instructor and ALMS, Grand-Am driver.
http://www.skipbarber.com/instructors/Kris-Wilson
A Skip Barber instructor tops my list also. Mikel Miller
http://www.skipbarber.com/instructors/Mikel-Miller
Accomplished racer, a very good coach, and one cool dude.

I also found Lonnie Pechnik (Skip Barber instructor; founder, principal and driver for Flying Lizards) to be an excellent classroom and track side coach.
http://www.skipbarber.com/instructors/Lonnie-Pechnik

In terms of those who frequent RL,

I..... cannot...
will not....
feed...
that man's....
ego....!!!

Nuff said.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:38 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
I think Mike telling you to get out of your "comfort zone" is the best coaching you've ever had and he wasn't even in the car
Can only prey he doesn't read this, he will need a bigger mushroom pot...

Quick Reply: What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?