Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:09 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleder
I re read my my post this morning from last night; well my apologies for not communicating well at all. Lack of sleep did not help my thoughts come across well at all.
All I wanted to get across was simply, the ability to identify the objectives for the driver, and communicate the way for those objectives to obtained by the driver is the job of the coach. You need to use whatever methods you can, right seat, data, spotting, it all depends on the driver and the situation. The coach does not have to be the fastest lap turner, but does have to know how to communicate with the driver so they can perform at their best and get the results they are looking for.
Your prior post seemed readable to me and consistent with this clarification. But the emphasis on communication just raised a curious question for me:

How would a coach handle a deaf student? Does anyone have any experience with that?

I feel that hand signals are a technique that all coaches should use with all students. One of the most irritating things I experience as a student is when an instructor jumps into my car w/o a communicator. And I really appreciate it when they review their basic hand signals on the warm up lap whether they have a communicator or not. One of my favorite examples of hand signals was one from Glen Smith - he would tap his hand on the dash to indicate "more gas". Predictably, there were a few times where his tapping escalated to frantic banging!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:44 PM
NJcroc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my most memorable experiences and easily the best learning I ever did in 2 days was a few years ago at The Glen. I had the pleasure of both having instruction and being a passenger in my car with Cass Whitehead. He really knew how to get me to listen and learn.

The most important thing in a coach is the ability to communicate, for some they need a fast driver to justify what they are teaching. My experience in most sports is that great coaches may not have benefited from being natural talent but work hard and can really teach well
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Coaches

Anyone have any experience with:

John Weisberg (BERG racing)
Peter Argetsinger (his family built the Watkins Glen track)

Thaks

Rick

Quick Reply: What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?