Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 02:01 AM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I think you should take the money that pro instruction costs and increase the compression on your motor - the results will be better (and immediate)
Good tip - and I was mistakenly informed that a bigger spoiler would make a big and immediate difference ..........
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Derek Bell in a school in the mid-nineties at Moroso. Do what he tells you, shave another second off the lap time, usually in one corner. And the team analyzed you going through nearly all the corners.

Would have loved to have Brian Redman in the right seat--I did a PE for him once and what a delightful chat that was!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by thusly
Good tip - and I was mistakenly informed that a bigger spoiler would make a big and immediate difference ..........
Car needs Motons, that would have finished it off nicely.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM
dew-e
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Mike, you should consider Ron Zitza. I've done one day with him at Sebring and have another scheduled in August. Yikes, that will be a hot one!
My first time doing a track walk at Sebring, Ron did it. Never had him in the car with me, but that track walk was probably the best overview I've had of the "race-line" and I'm pretty sure I dropped a second or two as a result of that track walk. I transitioned from the, this is the DE-way to take turn 17, to the right way to take it just be hearing his description of it, and walking the proper line.

So if you do hire a pro-coach, think about getting them to take you out to corners, away from the car and talk about the corner. Not likely that you can always do a track walk, but even looking at the corners from behind the safety barriers will have some benefit with the right teacher.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm with Rick.. I can't say enough about Scott Leder.. He puts a lot of thought into his coaching and how you process and learn.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the pleasure of listening to Ron Zitsa in several classroom sessions and also as a passenger with him behind the wheel of a CGT on slicks.
His verbal communication skills are seconded only by his talent behind the wheel.
That boy can drive! Very Smooth.....

Also had David Murray at the Porsche Driving School several years ago and learned a bunch from him, particularly in the rain.

When the economy turns around I will be hiring someone for some private coaching but I want to hire someone who can also help me with car setup. Any suggestions?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
I had the pleasure of listening to Ron Zitsa in several classroom sessions and also as a passenger with him behind the wheel of a CGT on slicks.
His verbal communication skills are seconded only by his talent behind the wheel.
That boy can drive! Very Smooth.....

Also had David Murray at the Porsche Driving School several years ago and learned a bunch from him, particularly in the rain.

When the economy turns around I will be hiring someone for some private coaching but I want to hire someone who can also help me with car setup. Any suggestions?
A CGT on slicks with a pro driving. Wow that would have been simply awesome!! Where's the jealous icon??

+1 on VR too. While I haven't had any other actual 'lessons', I've been in cars with Pro drivers. VR was very encouraging and we certainly gained some time through the day. It wasn't a particularly easy day for him either as I was driving a different car, on a track that I'd never seen, on the opposite side of the car (LHD) than I'm used to. Clearly he had no idea of any of my skill sets / ability (If any was shown at al, lol) nor was there too much of an objective on offer as I was a tourist more or less passing through. So not an easy case to deal with. That I was able to increase car speed, braking efficiency, drop lap times etc was a testimony of his rapport and ability to pass on instruction and enthusiasm which gives the student confidence. Was the highlight of my trip.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You know that with all of you guys singing praises to VR, his head will be this big ->
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You know that with all of you guys singing praises to VR, his head will be this big ->
It's going to shrink?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
It's going to shrink?

Old 05-21-2010, 02:25 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

5/6 PCA instructors were very helpful. the one was more interested in getting to drive my new car. it happens.

2nd runner up, ted anthony junior in seattle (now racing in Contintal tire series). fantastic instuctor especially for his young age.

1st runner up, hurley haywood. my favorite quote from him "well, that was a mess."

winner, daniel eastman, porsche sport driving school. just seemed to click. there are lots of very good instructors there, but i haven't been in the car with them.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:55 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

How important is it to you that a coach also be able to put down good lap times? I think we all know lots of good DE instructors who may offer insightful comments but they are many seconds off of the pace. Does that matter at all?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
How important is it to you that a coach also be able to put down good lap times? I think we all know lots of good DE instructors who may offer insightful comments but they are many seconds off of the pace. Does that matter at all?
I think it matters philosophically, but not in practicality, unless the client really just wants the data (which can be a powerful coaching tool, obviously). I have done it a number of times, but must admit that I am getting more & more reticent to drive other peoples' cars at or near their potential.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian P
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I think it matters philosophically, but not in practicality, unless the client really just wants the data (which can be a powerful coaching tool, obviously). I have done it a number of times, but must admit that I am getting more & more reticent to drive other peoples' cars at or near their potential.
I'm going to disagree with Dave here and say that it is very important for the coach to be able to (at some point in their career) run competitive times. There are techniques that may work well on paper or at 8/10s, but can be untenable at the limit. And if the coach is unable to drive at a competitive limit how would they ever know?

Maybe more important than even that is the instructors ability to feel your car from the right seat. That gives them the information that they need to critique your ability to find and drive on a safe edge.

I do agree with him about driving other people's cars, and always keep something in hand when I do. If you want to see the best laps I can run, let me share an enduro with you.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

We hired a car which was a very nice BMW and I asked Dave to have a turn and show me the way. It was clear that he doesn't only talk a good game. The guy can drive and did so from the outset. He was obviously in more of a comfort zone than I was but it left me with no doubt that he can back up whatever he theorised on the day.

I went with a Carrera Cup driver recently at a track day in my car. I drove a few laps then he jumped in the drivers seat. Showed me some different lines and went hard from the outset. Sort of drove it like he stole it but clearly showed very good talent to just jump from one car to the next and drive them somewhere above 8/10ths in masterful fashion. Impressive to see at this level.

Quick Reply: What track/racing coach did you the most good and why?