Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48hoursatsebring.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Juan... any thoughts on the level of competition between HSR and PCA?
Old 02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sean,

The Spec Boxster and E Stock nearly share the same rules for "Engine" but E Stock is free on shocks, springs, sway bars where Spec Boxster is not.

The only advantage Spec Boxster has over E-Stock is the lower weight but stuck with a fixed tire and rim size.

I'll be running one in NASA on hoosiers and then in PCA on R888 this spring and expect to see the appropriate time difference in favor of the hoosiers.

I agree with you, these cars will get faster as the cars and the drivers get more dialed in.

-Paul

Originally Posted by Sean F
Understood. Still not sure how to think about their performance though. In stock trim they are E cars as spbox they run 300lbs lighter. Mods are close to stock class with the exception of headers (is that right)? In my mind, the 300lbs more than makes up for the tires. Give me 300lbs (i.e., 30 additional hp) in my car and I'll gladly run R888's and maybe even catch Fred . Add in the fact they have better brakes and suspension than the torsion bar cars and I would think they would smoke the E field. It will be interesting to see how they perform as the year progresses. I would expect them to really perform strongly as the year goes on and more guys race/optimize the setup.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

YMMV but IMHO the competition in HSR is much fiercer/tighter as the volume of superbly prepared cars is higher. From roaming the paddocks, I believe that in PCA there is more of a grassroots group of racers whereas in HSR you get many more professionally prepared cars.

The other thing is that, in HSR you'll get fields of 10 or more equally prepared cars and the top ten spots in most groups are usually all inside of 1 sec of the leader. For example, I won our enduro at Daytona with a margin of perhaps 0.1 seconds after 90 minutes of battle.

The rules are very strict in HSR especially since we run to period specifications (for example, I cannot run aero aids on my car different than those available back in 1969).

I would guess that the average age of the drivers in HSR is higher than in PCA which some might say might slow down their reflexes but one must not forget the years of experience they have (and the large number of pro's racing in HSR). You go out and race against the likes of EFR, Andy Wallace, Bobby Rahal, ......

In contrast, with PCA you get more variety of cars and drivers mixing it all together. I spent 90 minutes racing against cars up to 3.6 liters (perhaps more) with massive aero aids and large slicks. In HSR the groups are mostly made up of similar cars.

As to the level of competition, a racer will always be a racer and (in HSR as in PCA) we race for real (not meaning to say rubbing is racing but that we give it our best on every lap), we don't go out there and parade around.

In summary, in HSR I think its hard since there are so many similar cars that it really comes down to driving skills. I think that in PCA its hard since in addition to the great driving skills of many there are many different cars to deal with.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
Sean,

The Spec Boxster and E Stock nearly share the same rules for "Engine" but E Stock is free on shocks, springs, sway bars where Spec Boxster is not.

The only advantage Spec Boxster has over E-Stock is the lower weight but stuck with a fixed tire and rim size.

I'll be running one in NASA on hoosiers and then in PCA on R888 this spring and expect to see the appropriate time difference in favor of the hoosiers.

I agree with you, these cars will get faster as the cars and the drivers get more dialed in.

-Paul
Last October we tested the new Hoosier slicks on a Spec Box. No other changes, just a set of 235/620 slicks on all 4 corners. The car was 3.5 seconds faster consistently on the Hoosier slicks. Suspension was to SB specs...
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dang JR,

I wasn't even thinking of the slicks, that is a huge difference. I was thinking of the DOT R6 which I am already used to in a 996.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Last October we tested the new Hoosier slicks on a Spec Box. No other changes, just a set of 235/620 slicks on all 4 corners. The car was 3.5 seconds faster consistently on the Hoosier slicks. Suspension was to SB specs...
Old 02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Enduro Grid

Originally Posted by cgomez
Awesome track, great first Race at Sebring, but we had our share of adversity:
- Major screwup from Timing and Scoring as they didnt have a grid spot for me for the Enduro (most likely should have been P1), so they forced me to start from the last row!! ("I was seventh" images going through my mind while arguing with the grid marshals!)

All in, awesome historic track, but it is certainly a car wrecker! Apologies to a few for some forceful passes in the Enduro but I needed to get up front ("I was seventh" moments of controlled aggression)
Hey C Gomez that Cayman is fast! Same thing happened to Tremper and me. I went to the scrutineers afterward to complain. At the driver meeting that morning we were told that the best lap time from either Sprint Race the day before would be used for our grid position. For whatever reason, we were also placed at the back with you. I think I started at 68 and finished at 12. Surely you would have been much higher based on your lap times without the DNF. I will send an email to Bruce Boeder to make them aware of the issue. Of course, this will accomplish nothing as far as the race results. At any rate I have some interesting video as I moved up 56 spots (and you blowing by Tremper and me on the first lap!!!)! Great event and I hope to make the journey again next year. Good luck with your 2010.

Last edited by bella1; 02-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:46 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate it Juan. That is what I would have guessed. I have experienced the same between SCCA spec classes (spec miata, SRF, etc) and PCA racing.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
Hey C Gomez that Cayman is fast! Same thing happened to Tremper and me. I went to the scrutineers afterward to complain. At the driver meeting that morning we were told that the best lap time from either Sprint Race the day before would be used for our grid position. For whatever reason, we were also placed at the back with you. I think I started at 82 and finished at 12. Surely you would have been much higher based on your lap times without the DNF. I will send an email to Bruce Boeder to make them aware of the issue. Of course, this will accomplish nothing as far as the race results.
I wonder why this happens. I've noticed at several races last year that the grid positions were based on different rules than what was announced at the morning session. It seems strange that at some races, the time sheets come quickly and everything runs smoothly, and at other races, the time sheets are extremely slow to arrive and grid positions are based off an unstated criteria.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I wonder why this happens. I've noticed at several races last year that the grid positions were based on different rules than what was announced at the morning session. It seems strange that at some races, the time sheets come quickly and everything runs smoothly, and at other races, the time sheets are extremely slow to arrive and grid positions are based off an unstated criteria.
+1 - seemed to happen quite a few times last year
Old 02-09-2010, 09:06 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong thread. And wrong time of day.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:02 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
I understand that mistakes can be made and really appreciate the big effort put in by the organizers and volunteers. I think the main issue that needs to be address is the process by which mistakes can be corrected on time. IMO it is as simple as printing on-time the timesheets and grids before the next session and race. Therefore, there's the space to address and correct the mistake.

In the Enduro, no matter if they had change the rules to any thinkable permutation, I would have always had a time (ran ALL sessions and Races including night one) to qualify me for a grid spot (there was simply no grid spot for my car#). Based on above response by Bell, it seems that in their grid allocation they just missed half the cars in H?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Cory Jump
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sebring

Great job to everyone who was at Sebring this year. Sebring has always had great competition in F class This was the first time I have ever been to a club race and didn't get to start a single event due to mechanicals. I went to Sebring with great expectations of going faster than last year and lowering the lap record for F. Regardless , I had a great time and will be back next year. It was hard watching Roach, Hupfer, Crossman and Johnson to name a few having all that fun without me. Hopefully I will get my running problem sorted before TWS. Hope to see you guys at Mid Ohio and the Glen.

Don't worry about the key Fred

Thanks to Dan Jacobs for loaning me a car full of test parts to try to get mine going.

Cory Jump
Old 02-10-2010, 10:55 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory Jump
Great job to everyone who was at Sebring this year. Sebring has always had great competition in F class This was the first time I have ever been to a club race and didn't get to start a single event due to mechanicals. I went to Sebring with great expectations of going faster than last year and lowering the lap record for F. Regardless , I had a great time and will be back next year. It was hard watching Roach, Hupfer, Crossman and Johnson to name a few having all that fun without me. Hopefully I will get my running problem sorted before TWS. Hope to see you guys at Mid Ohio and the Glen.

Don't worry about the key Fred

Thanks to Dan Jacobs for loaning me a car full of test parts to try to get mine going.

Cory Jump
Hi Cory, i have a key for you!!! Tell me where to send it please. What times did you run with Scott Johnson's car? That 964 is faaaaast down the straights!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Guys,

I'm looking to see if I can find video of my car (as shot from another car) to see how it rolls in the corners.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks ! Juan
Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick post to say hello and thank you to Dave and Dan Morris, who I met for the first time at Sebring and had great races with, Dave in the Sprint and Dan at the end of the Enduro (you couldn't have run out of gas a minute earlier???). Gentlemen racers both, and terrific drivers, tough but courteous.. I appreciate the education. Freddie C., nice seeing you again and having dinner with you Saturday. Nicely done on refraining from blame. To those that were not in the middle of the schmozzle when it happened, don't speculate- a lot was going on with a lot of cars in a very tight space. Unfortunate for all involved, especially those with damage, so let's not make it worse for them by opining. Rich Tillotson, thanks for posting the sprint video- mine was the poorly driven red/blue 944 #134 in front of you, and it's nice to be able to see my mistakes from another perspective. I remember you vividly in my mirrors- the car looks bigger in them! Yours is a beautiful, well-prepared, and certainly well driven car. I enjoyed racing with you. Sebring is one place that, when it's over, I always wish there was a race there next weekend. Thanks to all for great racing, thanks to the regions that put the event on, see you all soon.

Mike Walsdorf

Quick Reply: 48hoursatsebring.com