Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Grid Position Mistake Class H

I sent this email to Bruce Boeder:

Attn: Bruce Boeder:

My name is Alex Bell and I run a 2001 996 Stock H Car Number 102. I had a great time at Sebring and hope to come back next year. I had a problem with my grid position for the Enduro Race. I made the Scrutineers aware of this after the race and it was suggested I also contact you. Of course, I know the race results are final, but perhaps we can learn from this issue. The same thing happened to two other Class H drivers, Pete Tremper and Carlos Gomez.

At the morning drivers meeting, we were told that grid position would be based on the best lap time for either of the two sprint races held on Saturday. That made sense as there was no qualifying session for the Enduro on Sunday. There was only the practice session. When we reached the grid, we were told that we were not on the grid sheet and would have to start from the back. I objected but obviously the volunteers on the grid have no way of confirming that this was a mistake. So we were directed to spot 81, 82, and 83. As there were 69 drivers on the results sheet, I am guessing I started around 68. My best time for Sprint 1 was 2:30.1 and Sprint 2 :30.7. My best time for the Enduro was 2:27.33 and I finished 12th overall. Pete Tremper's best Sprint time was 2:29.8 and Carlos Gomez was 2:27.6.

I finished First in Stock H and I had a shot at perhaps winning the race had I started in front. Instead I am stuck at the back of the pack having to pass multiple cars over the 90 minute race. I am extremely dissapointed that this occurred to me and two of my fellow Class H drivers. Feel free to visit my YouTube web page and view my first few laps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOHaGsAVcWw

I would be interested to know what happened and thank you for considering my position.

Alex H. Bell, II
757-472-9567 Cell
bella@wbrinsurance.com

Last edited by bella1; 02-11-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 610 Likes on 299 Posts

Mike, absolutely fun following u around in the race, I had a bit of a problem in the #1 Sprint as my MOMO steering wheel broke a spoke and I just tried to hold on for my class win. A friend attending the event took off his steering wheel so I could make the second Sprint race, thanks Bob. Mike come back to Sebring any time more laps will always add to the skill level.
Rich
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Grid Position

Originally Posted by cgomez
I understand that mistakes can be made and really appreciate the big effort put in by the organizers and volunteers. I think the main issue that needs to be address is the process by which mistakes can be corrected on time. IMO it is as simple as printing on-time the timesheets and grids before the next session and race. Therefore, there's the space to address and correct the mistake.

In the Enduro, no matter if they had change the rules to any thinkable permutation, I would have always had a time (ran ALL sessions and Races including night one) to qualify me for a grid spot (there was simply no grid spot for my car#). Based on above response by Bell, it seems that in their grid allocation they just missed half the cars in H?
Hey Carlos see my email to Bruce Boeder in above post. I will post his answer. It definitely sucks as I might have won the whole thing since you had a DNF. I think that is the only way i will beat you!
Old 02-10-2010, 07:56 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is unfortunate Bella, no doubt. But if there is solace, the next best thing to an overall win is coming through from the back!
Well done.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:17 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
That is unfortunate Bella, no doubt. But if there is solace, the next best thing to an overall win is coming through from the back!
Well done.
Agreed, despite being upset at the start, I've never passed so many cars in my life!! Definitively too much fun going from P65(?) to P4 in 18laps!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:19 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bella1
Hey Carlos see my email to Bruce Boeder in above post. I will post his answer. It definitely sucks as I might have won the whole thing since you had a DNF. I think that is the only way i will beat you!
Thanks for the initiative Alex. See you at Road Atlanta?
My car definitively dislikes Enduros. I've only finished Daytona, where I missed the win due to pitlane Speeding.. duhhh!!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

The two most fun races I've had were when I started from the back - remember LRP Frank?
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 610 Likes on 299 Posts
Default My Laps?

Is it me or is the Sebring PCA event not yet up on MyLaps?
Old 02-10-2010, 10:02 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Is it me or is the Sebring PCA event not yet up on MyLaps?
No worries just keeping pace with the timing sheets, or lack thereof during the event.

Yucks aside I appreciate your feedback and support, and my Ruckus can kick you pitbike's @ss
Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
The two most fun races I've had were when I started from the back - remember LRP Frank?
Remember? I still watch that one from time to time!
Incidentally, that car sold just a few weeks ago and is now in No. Carolina. That was quite a chapter.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Road Atlanta

Originally Posted by cgomez
Thanks for the initiative Alex. See you at Road Atlanta?
My car definitively dislikes Enduros. I've only finished Daytona, where I missed the win due to pitlane Speeding.. duhhh!!
I do not think I will be at Road Atlanta for the Club Race but have a great time and best of luck.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I would have been more fun if you guys had started closer to the front. Apart from the first 4 laps chasing #96 I was racing on my own (well lapping others).
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
Happened to me too at an LRP Enduro in my '04 cup. They almost let me start up front where I belonged but went back to the sheets which didn't have me on it, so I started dead last. It was fun passing all those cars but it cost me the win, I ended up 3rd overall...

I WAS SEVENTH!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 48hoursatsebring.com