Sponsored by:

iRacing for Beginner's

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM05
You might be right; as meticulously as they seem to have modeled the rest of that car's drivetrain electronics, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a 'feature' of the real car that has also made it into iRacing.

It was definitely a bummer that it happened, as we were all so close on times that it would have been a really close race.

Here's my suggestion for next time: try not to qualify so high, so that you're not sitting at the very front of a row if this happens again. Safety first!

Always looking out for me aren't you!
I just tried replicating it and can't make it happen on purpose. Even if I have the brake pressed if I release it and slam the gas it goes fine... I know it has something to do with the gas/brake interaction as last night was the 1st time I had my foot on the brake to avoid a 2' jump at the start before green (and a black flag).. from now on no brake, just a slam down at green!
Old 03-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best way to start is floor the car in N and then when the green drops grab a gear unless you're using a clutch based setup.

I've had the no start happen on the VW a few times in the past but never if I have the motor revving before I grab a gear.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The best way to start is floor the car in N and then when the green drops grab a gear unless you're using a clutch based setup.

I've had the no start happen on the VW a few times in the past but never if I have the motor revving before I grab a gear.
I have a clutch pedal Joe but it does nothing on the VW, maybe i'll practice the N-1 drop and see how that works! Still figuring out how you "skipped" the carousel and stayed in 2nd place (until you missed T1)??
Old 03-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I have a clutch pedal Joe but it does nothing on the VW, maybe i'll practice the N-1 drop and see how that works! Still figuring out how you "skipped" the carousel and stayed in 2nd place (until you missed T1)??
Well it was a straight shot and I lopped off 3 tight turns (twice). It's a great shortcut. Since you have 4 laps to serve a black flag I just kept going since we were 4 laps from checker and was going to see what happened. It went well until I overcooked turn one and went for a 'Vito' flight.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Ahh, I wonder what would have happened if you held it to the end? DQ?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Blimp view of the start, watch my gas pedal. I had to cut the size down to 1/2, FRAPS makes big AVI's..

http://vimeo.com/9892358
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GaryM05

It was definitely a bummer that it happened, as we were all so close on times that it would have been a really close race.
Indeed! I took the brunt of the incident by being in the wrong place at the wrong time on number of fronts.

First, I was right behind Gary for his delayed start and had to maneuver around him w/o sending the guys behind me off the track to the right. A little bit of contact trying to thread the needle, but nothing that changed outcomes. After we all got around Gary, I was driven straight off to the left (appears that Doug didn't know that I was on his left rear quarter as he set up for T1). I managed to keep it straight and got back on the track for a clean turn. Then out of nowhere, got hit pretty hard on the front right suspension.

The rest was my own doing... I thought I could make it around 1 lap to pit for repairs, and then missed the pit entrance! (first time on this track for me). Pitted at the end of a slow 2nd lap, but when I got back out, realized that no repairs were made. Ugghhh! Only then did I realize that I needed to ask for a tow for repairs to be made, which added another time penalty. By then, I was already over a lap down.

But the real bummer is that I drove most of the rest of the race with hardly anyone else in sight. I'd give my podium finish back just to do that one over!
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
Indeed! I took the brunt of the incident by being in the wrong place at the wrong time on number of fronts.

First, I was right behind Gary for his delayed start and had to maneuver around him w/o sending the guys behind me off the track to the right. A little bit of contact trying to thread the needle, but nothing that changed outcomes. After we all got around Gary, I was driven straight off to the left (appears that Doug didn't know that I was on his left rear quarter as he set up for T1). I managed to keep it straight and got back on the track for a clean turn. Then out of nowhere, got hit pretty hard on the front right suspension.

The rest was my own doing... I thought I could make it around 1 lap to pit for repairs, and then missed the pit entrance! (first time on this track for me). Pitted at the end of a slow 2nd lap, but when I got back out, realized that no repairs were made. Ugghhh! Only then did I realize that I needed to ask for a tow for repairs to be made, which added another time penalty. By then, I was already over a lap down.

But the real bummer is that I drove most of the rest of the race with hardly anyone else in sight. I'd give my podium finish back just to do that one over!
I just sent a short video of the glitch to Kevin at iRacing, hopefully he will forward it to the right people. Here is the video of the whole race to watch on the iRacing "Replay" application. If you need help in where to place it let me know. it was Doug that T-Boned you too! All of it was the fault of my car not moving.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ggzdo...ort 3-2-10.rpy

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-04-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Short tutorial on blocking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uniewzIh44
Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 PM
johnclay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me, I was at the back of the field in the white car. I shifted to neutral, then back to 1st. Looking at the blimp shot - we both finally get going at almost the exact same time.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnclay
Same thing happened to me, I was at the back of the field in the white car. I shifted to neutral, then back to 1st. Looking at the blimp shot - we both finally get going at almost the exact same time.
I looked at the replay from in your car also John but the gas/brake/clutch indicators are only shown for the car that saved the replay so the only way to see if your brake was stuck on is if you saved it. Did you? If so send a copy to Kevin in the iRacing thread. It sure looks just like my car did..

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Short tutorial on blocking and punting...
Fixed it for ya

By the way, I too had a delayed start, but I think mine was a gear selection issue. In one frame I am WOT, the brake is on, and gear selector is N (thought it was in 1st). And in the very next frame, I am WOT, the brake is off and the gear selector is 1. I didn't think I had shifted and released the brake within 1/30th of a second each other. It felt more like I had been off the brake the whole time, felt no throttle response, shifted into 1st for a second time, and then all was good. (for the next 100 feet anyway).
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks for fixin that Ed...
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

I downloaded iRacing a little while ago but never really got into it. I strongly dislike the Solstice.

That being said, I'll be doing an SCCA driver's school at Summit Point in a few weeks and need to learn that track. If you guys want to school me at The Point, I'd love to race with ya!

Quick Reply: iRacing for Beginner's