Sponsored by:

iRacing for Beginner's

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default iRacing for Beginner's

Not to take anything away from Kevin B.'s efforts and generosity, i've been getting emails asking for more of a startup set of races with cars/tracks that are available to new iRacing subscribers without making a new purchase every week to run. These races will start with the Solstice, SRF, and Legends (Rookie) cars on tracks that come with the initial subscription to iRacing, are for Class D and lower drivers, and are not intended to replace Kevin's Wednesday night venue. As such I initially propose Sunday evenings around 7:00 PM EST to see how that flys. If this works, and the group agrees, we can vote on what track to purchase next and when to move to the Skip Barber car.

Let me know how this sounds, any ideas or input is welcomed.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Not to take anything away from Kevin B.'s efforts and generosity, i've been getting emails asking for more of a startup set of races with cars/tracks that are available to new iRacing subscribers without making a new purchase every week to run. These races will start with the Solstice, SRF, and Legends (Rookie) cars on tracks that come with the initial subscription to iRacing, are for Class D and lower drivers, and are not intended to replace Kevin's Wednesday night venue. As such I initially propose Sunday evenings around 7:00 PM EST to see how that flys. If this works, and the group agrees, we can vote on what track to purchase next and when to move to the Skip Barber car.

Let me know how this sounds, any ideas or input is welcomed.
Count me in......
Makes perfect sense to rookies like myself.....
Old 01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of equipment is required? Are there fees to play?

Not just a rookie but a noob as well.

Last edited by paradisenb; 01-11-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: OK checking out Iracing site now.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Randy, I will let Gary explain about the set up, but if I can do it, just about anyone can........

Even you.........

P.S. I hope all is well with you and the beautiful women in your life........
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

how about setups, is this something we need to put time in first to get a setup before we can start practicing?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in for whatever and I'll host some as well so you don't have to burden all of those 3 dollar costs.

We can start with the Rookie cars so noone has to worry about setups. Otherwise there are a number of good resources for setups in the forums. Some that make the car easy to drive and others that progress as your skills do.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 PM
CoGT3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great! I have a friend you just started up two weeks ago and would also really benefit from this also.
Matt
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

in -- just raced spec fords at the glen -- what a hoot !
Old 01-11-2010, 10:31 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Randy, I will let Gary explain about the set up, but if I can do it, just about anyone can........

Even you.........

P.S. I hope all is well with you and the beautiful women in your life........
Ha! Ha!
Thanks, we are all doing very well. Your wife and children? Oh and your mother in law?

I wonder how big effect Iracing has on your Norstrom's account?

I was looking at iracing site and they recommend systems by Logitec. Are you guys using the $300.00 unit w/2 motors and paddle shifting?

What are you using?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugghhh! My Mac won't run Window's 7 and I can't find Windows XP anywhere! Until Apple provides Windows 7 Drivers I'll have to spectate.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Great idea, count me in, been looking for a good starter group.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Ha! Ha!
Thanks, we are all doing very well. Your wife and children? Oh and your mother in law?

I wonder how big effect Iracing has on your Norstrom's account?

I was looking at iracing site and they recommend systems by Logitec. Are you guys using the $300.00 unit w/2 motors and paddle shifting?

What are you using?
Randy -

The new Logitech G27 or it's predecessor the G25 (what many, including me, have) is a very good intermediate setup for under $300. It has both paddle shifters and a dedicated stick shifter (sequential or H pattern, though the H isn't very good IMO). The computer is the big nut, as a fairly modern processor and video card are pretty important. Last is the internet connection, which needs to be broadband and preferably not wireless, though wireless "may" work fine. I know for BostonDMD even though he showed a solid connection it was useless in iRacing. As you can see it's a subscription service, and if you sign up for 12 months it's less than $10 per month. All necessary software comes with it, including starter cars and tracks (listed on site).

I will plan on this Sunday for the initial practice (will be available for up to 3 hours before the race) and race, time will depend on what works for the most people. The car/track will be from the included tracks, will decide in the next couple days so you can practice between now and Sunday.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trackjunky
Ugghhh! My Mac won't run Window's 7 and I can't find Windows XP anywhere! Until Apple provides Windows 7 Drivers I'll have to spectate.
Y'all need to make Google your friend - These may not be cheapest, but it's all out there!

XP - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind.../dp/B0018RCADO

Why not Vista 32 (not sure if your sys is 64 bit?) - http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premiu...3266358&sr=1-1

Vista 64 - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wind.../dp/B000MFIPDC
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

1st iRacing RLL "Beginner's" race will be at Limerock Park in Spec Racer Fords, Sunday 1/17/10 at 7:30PM EST. Practice will be up at least two hours preceding the race. Class D license or lower please. If you have a C License and suck, just contact me before joining and i'm sure it will be fine...
Old 01-16-2010, 02:27 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

I am in....

Quick Reply: iRacing for Beginner's