Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
The driver choice of USF1 is telling and it's not a good thing so it won't be interesting.

They're only shopping for a money bag than can somewhat drive, for a team that's starting, that's not the way to advance, it's only a way to pay bills.

Look at Lotus, they signed two experienced driver who both get paid rather than bringing a ton of money, that makes the future of that team look good. If USF1 bring in couple of unexperienced drivers who's main "feature" is cash, it's not gonna be good and they know it, of course if the reality is that they don't have money, it has to come from somewhere but this all makes it look not so good which is bad, I was hoping they'd do better.
actually, Lotus said today that one of the reasons they picked their driver lineup is that they may increase sponsorship dollars in the future as a result

"From very early on, Tony said: why not Jarno and Heikki? I sort of went... 'yeah, yeah, yeah. Forget it!'

"Where Tony is exceptionally brave is that you have to generate the finance to make the team sustainable and he has not taken the short term route - 'let's take a guy who is bringing me in three or five million Euros' - he has taken the downstream route: 'let's bring in a guy who is really going to take the whole team up, who is going to deliver results, and downstream I may be signing sponsors for 10 or 20 million Euros.'

"So he has had the ***** to take that route. It really is a clear message of where he wants the team to go."
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brendorenn
actually, Lotus said today that one of the reasons they picked their driver lineup is that they may increase sponsorship dollars in the future as a result...
Well, that's sort of my point, Lotus' way of doing this is solid for future. From development point of view and as the article points out, maybe from money point of view as well.

USF1 way of doing this might work for short term but it's not a good way to go in the long run. I have my doubts they'll be ready in March but I do hope they are.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Chris - Which car is that supposed to be?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:49 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

i agree with finn & others - i hope they're ready but what we've been exposed to is not confidence inspiring
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM
L8Apex
Three Wheelin'

More top talent at USF1

Although they still haven’t announced drivers for the upcoming Formula 1 season, USF1 today confirmed a great hire as their team manager, John Anderson.

Ando, originally from Sydney, Australia has been part of the American open wheel scene for well over a quarter century, coming to the USA in 1980 and starting in CanAm, and most recently worked with Gil de Ferran Motorsports in the same position, managing the American Le Mans Series LM P1 program.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...pic=8&catid=17
Old 01-12-2010, 02:32 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

Jeez...come on guys, give them a break...nobody here can really expect that USF1, a brand new team, is going to be competitive and perfect right out of the box in the pinnacle of motorsports racing. Heck, even Toyota with all their zillions of $$ couldn't produce a winner...

I, for one, am excited that a team is being developed that we in the US can call our own. Even if they run a partial schedule in 2010, who cares? it's a start. I have zero expectations for the foreseeable future, other than progress from race to race, year to year. Gotta start somewhere right?

Oh, and btw, I just learned that the facility is only 6 miles from my house... (photo from this morning as I drove by)
Attached Images  

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Bob,

I don't think anyone is expecting any real success but with 3 weeks to 1st test and 8 weeks to the point when stuff has to be loaded to Bahrain and no drivers, not much of anything so things don't look very promising.

It's a start regardless and I really wish everything works out but with above reason and their driver "policy" has made me worry it might not be the case.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Bob,

I don't think anyone is expecting any real success but with 3 weeks to 1st test and 8 weeks to the point when stuff has to be loaded to Bahrain and no drivers, not much of anything so things don't look very promising.

It's a start regardless and I really wish everything works out but with above reason and their driver "policy" has made me worry it might not be the case.
Conversely, Red Bull have already said they won't be ready for the first test - yet nobody doubts that they'll be on the grid come Bahrain.

It's not at all atypical for teams to not have their current-year spec car ready for the year's first few tests. However, in this case, teams would just run their previous-year spec car with maybe a few current-year spec parts (i.e. McLaren ran their 2008-spec wings VERY late into the pre-2009 testing season). Given that USF1 has no prevous-year car, they obviously can't do that, but it still shows that it's not unusual for a team to not have their current car ready by the first tests.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

exactly,
plus, how many teams have actually run their previous year car into the season? Before all the crazy rules changes, I seem to remember Ferrari, McLaren, etc running their previous year car for a handful of races until they were comfortable that the new car was better.

Point is...if you go back and read through this thread, it's sounds like more doubters than supporters.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

The teams who run/have run their previous year car into the season have done so because they could, because they have so much data from previous year(s) and because their previous car so so damn good.

Of course nobody doubts Red Bull, maybe the fact that they are very successful F1 operation with years of experience has something to do with that? It would be worrying in their case also that they are skipping the 1st test (especially since testing is so limited) but they managed pretty well last season when they did the same.

New teams don't have that option, they need to have their car ready by the season's start and for them to be as successful as possible, it would be beneficial to have it ready when testing starts.

I'm a supporter but I have my doubts, I don't see why those two have to rule each others out.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
rickmdz
Instructor

The lack of press releases does not mean nothing is happening. Argentine press is reporting Peter Windsor (link in spanish) will be traveling to Buenos Aires next week, Jan 20-21, to announce the incorporation of Jose Maria Lopez as a driver. In the mean time, Lopez is in Austria to train with Erwin Göllner who specializes in motorsports training, then he is headed to Oxford England to work with Rob Wilson, considered by many one of the best F1 coaches in the world. This last stop by Peter Windsor suggestion.
I understand the anxiety everybody has about this project. All want to see a car to think it's real. Remember nowadays computers can do wonderful things, entire jetliners are designed on computers and reach production stages without a single physical model.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:01 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With the "surrounded by a box" model that F1 teams are provided, designing is in a way easier than the early days.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:01 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suhCB...ure=youtu.be&a

Quick Reply: No, for real... USF1 Monocoque