No, for real... USF1 Monocoque

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 05:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Interesting how the Americans on this forum do not seem to be pullling for the American team.
Yep ! Same as the support for the redbull F1 driver program Amigos suffer from Cognitive dissonance...
Old 12-25-2009, 05:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Would that be the Red Bull Driver Search that no longer exists?
Old 12-25-2009, 05:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
There is nothing that NA$CAR can/should contribute to F1...nothing.
Yes that same one...... got no support from the amigos ..... now USF1 is the new target ...
Old 12-25-2009, 05:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

As a founding member of the Amigos, I was unable to support the Red Bull driver search program since my son was too young to enter.
Once he became old enough, they announced they were terminating the program.

Besides, a program that picks Scott Speed over Colin Fleming was destined for failure.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:25 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

No the lack of support for Scott Speed and the Redbull driver program was the cause . Look at Luizzi now ..... With enuff Support , things could have been different .
Old 12-25-2009, 05:53 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"There is little to nothing that "traditional" NA$CAR (pushrod V8, carbs, steel wheels, etc) can contribute to F1.
There is little to no complex carbon fibre manufacturing in NA$CAR, at least not compared to F1 (load bearing transmission/engine housings, etc).

Put this way...NA$CAR vs. F1...sort of like Vince McMahon wrestling vs Collegiate/Olympic wrestling.
At least that's the way I've always viewed it. NA$CAR...motorsports for the lowest common denominator."

I'm not a big fan of Nascar but don't think these guys are just a bunch of good old boys.
It takes a lot of knowledge and technology to move a 3600lb car through the air at over 200mph

Have you ever been to one of the major Nascar shops, like Childress, I think you would be impressed.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Letter from Bob Varsha someone posted on the SPEED forums:

I had dinner with Peter Windsor last weekend (Dec 12), and he said things are moving along on schedule. They are completing the jigs and molds, and finishing the first car, which gets written off in crash testing. Once the jigs are ready they can build cars at the rate of one every ten days or so, says Peter. The biggest problem they face right now is that things are apparently not going well at Cosworth in the UK. That is bad news for everyone, since Cosworth is building engines for at least four teams, including all three new ones plus Williams.

I'm certainly not the man to speak for the team, but let's remember that they're trying to compete in F1 on a very small budget. They don't have money or time to invest in fancy facilities and cosmetic attractions. In fact, the current building is an interim, until they get on their feet, when they plan to break ground on a purpose-built facility that will better suit the needs of both the team and the fans. According to Peter, they're all working 80-hour weeks, and will be for the forseeable future, even if all goes well. That doesn't leave much time for shmoozing fans and writing press releases. I'm not saying it's the right way to do this, but there are no instructions for starting an F1 team, and this is they way they chose to do it.

I know the team has been quiet, but that is deliberate. Like everything else they are doing, they have to prioritize. Instead of 100 engineers in the design office, they have 35. Rather than spend time on press releases, they are putting their heads down and getting on with the job, which is enormous when you consider that the first four races of next year are fly-away events, so they'll be working out of boxes rather than their transporters (which have been purchased). Here's what I can tell you: the drivers have basically been decided on, along with a group of young Americans who will be spread out across a development program starting in F2000 and working up to GP2. They also have additional sponsors, and all of this will be presented in a single announcement sometime after the first of the year.

We'll all have to be patient, and in the meantime, have a great holiday season.

BV
Old 12-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Benton
Drifting

Originally Posted by ltc
Such as...

At least in Australian V8 Supercars, all of the body panels are 100% original (granted over a purpose built tube frame), but at least stock.

Name one thing in a NA$CAR Car of Tomorrow that is Stock...

It's not bigotry, perhaps ignorance, but that is subjective.
I'm not sure why the "stock" part of that is relevant, but read about mid-page on this and it will show all of the resources available in Charlotte (most of which have been used for NASCAR): http://www.usgpe.com/blog.html

BTW, that links to the USF1 website which is now live.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Red
I'm not sure why the "stock" part of that is relevant
National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing.

Clearly, there is little to nothing Stock in any of the cars that are fielded during the season.

I simply believe that trying to compare the technology between NA$CAR and F1 is simply laughable.
From an engineering perspective, its like comparing a WWII piston warplane to the F22 Raptor...

NA$CAR is much more a business and entertainment than an engineering driven enterprise, at least when mentioned in the same sentence as F1....at least in my bigoted and ignorant opinion.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:08 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

Lewis
Try to keep in mind that racing is racing. Obviously engines are not compatable but manufacturing of components/chassis is. A lot of the technology in F1 was developed in America by Ken Anderson himself!
When you take from other disiplines you discover new ways of doing things.
Things that might not have been thought of befor
Old 12-25-2009, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Pete,
I just see absolutely nothing in NA$CAR that even remotely compares to F1, Mr Anderson's previous contributions not withstanding.

The differences in the levels of engineering involved are simply too different to reconcile IMHO.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Pete,
I just see absolutely nothing in NA$CAR that even remotely compares to F1, Mr Anderson's previous contributions not withstanding.

The differences in the levels of engineering involved are simply too different to reconcile IMHO.

As I said before I think you need to visit one of the major Nascar shops to see how advanced they can be.

You are right about one thing,there is nothing stock about Nascar.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:34 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

I hate Nascar as much as the next guy but I have to admit what they are doing with those engines is incredible...

900 hp, flat out for 5 hours is no easy task, especially when you consider piston speeds are higher than in F1. Engineers are engineers. I wouldn't be so sure it's just a bunch of good ole' boys working on developing those cars nowadays. It's a big business.

I hope USF1 the best in the coming season and hope they show well... they have a tough road ahead. They have developed a multinational team of experienced individuals to work on this project. I am sure that, in time, they will enjoy some sort of success in the world of F1. There's no reason to hate, folks!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Pete,

Yep, the chassis adjustbility/tunability in NASCAR is WAY better than F1.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Pete,

I guess Mahle felt the same way when they entered Nascar , There failures were .er, ahhh ...

Quick Reply: No, for real... USF1 Monocoque