Sponsored by:

No, for real... USF1 Monocoque

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:03 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

The thought had crossed my mind months ago that there may be shady dealings, but I kept my mouth shut because Peter Windsor is such a high profile figure in F1 circles and I wanted USF1 to get off the ground.

I hope these reports are not true, but once it gets to this point, it looks really bad.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
In other words "if it's something that can put money into King Bernie's pocket right now, it gets top billing, and all others that can't get kicked to the curb"
I look at it differently....

You chose to try and play in F1...if you can't afford it or compete, there are plenty of other series/formulae that would welcome your team.

It's F1...no one forced them to jump into the deep end of the pool.
Failure is a natural response in certain situations.

It was a cute gimmick when introduced...unfortunately it appears to be a short lived gimmick (a US F1 team with US drivers, etc...)

In the end, no one will really care, there will still be sufficient teams on the grid to make it interesting.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, are Stefan and Bernie joined at the hip? I know he likes deep pockets, so that his can get even deeper. By all the recent comments USF1 is not looking good. Too bad.

2001 996 Carrera-Sold
1995 993 Carrera-Sold
1987 928S4-Sold
1987 944-Sold
1983 944-Sold
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I look at it differently....

You chose to try and play in F1...if you can't afford it or compete, there are plenty of other series/formulae that would welcome your team.

It's F1...no one forced them to jump into the deep end of the pool.
Failure is a natural response in certain situations.

It was a cute gimmick when introduced...unfortunately it appears to be a short lived gimmick (a US F1 team with US drivers, etc...)

In the end, no one will really care, there will still be sufficient teams on the grid to make it interesting.
While I don't disagree, my point is more that it would be nice for the top brass (***?) in F1 to offer some support for new teams. From Day 1, he has said nothing but negative comments about USF1 and Campos. and in the end, he couldn't care less if any teams to well, all he cares about is who can bring money to the table. If USF1 had really deep pockets, he would be singing thier praises, and helping them out, I'm sure of it.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-09-2010, 05:01 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
So, are Stefan and Bernie joined at the hip? I know he likes deep pockets, so that his can get even deeper. By all the recent comments USF1 is not looking good. Too bad.

2001 996 Carrera-Sold
1995 993 Carrera-Sold
1987 928S4-Sold
1987 944-Sold
1983 944-Sold

Money from a govenment, such as Serbia in this instance, is more reliable than private investors.

I'm sure Bernie's angle is fleecing more $$ out of them for some street race in the future that no one else in the world wants to see.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
While I don't disagree, my point is more that it would be nice for the top brass (***?) in F1 to offer some support for new teams. From Day 1, he has said nothing but negative comments about USF1 and Campos. and in the end, he couldn't care less if any teams to well, all he cares about is who can bring money to the table. If USF1 had really deep pockets, he would be singing thier praises, and helping them out, I'm sure of it.
How much support should he offer when he has teams (perhaps better qualified, both technically and financially) ready to take their spot on the grid?

It's in his best interest, as commercial rights holder, to put forth the teams best qualified to compete in his events.
If it was a problem, then I'm sure the governing body (FIA) would strip him of his commercial rights.

Again, survival of the fittest...there are plenty of other series available for those teams to compete in.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I think part of the problem is the lack of stability in the rules. These new teams entered into the sport when they were being told there were going to be budget caps, then that all changed. Expecting a brand new team to design, build, and test a competitive car in a year is unrealistic, the F1 bosses and teams should both know better. If they really want new teams to have a fighting chance the rules package should be developed 3 years in advance, giving enough time to develop and test a car. Bernie should keep his mouth shut too, bad mouthing teams only hurts the sport and scares away sponsors.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory M
I think part of the problem is the lack of stability in the rules. These new teams entered into the sport when they were being told there were going to be budget caps, then that all changed. Expecting a brand new team to design, build, and test a competitive car in a year is unrealistic, the F1 bosses and teams should both know better. If they really want new teams to have a fighting chance the rules package should be developed 3 years in advance, giving enough time to develop and test a car. Bernie should keep his mouth shut too, bad mouthing teams only hurts the sport and scares away sponsors.
Every new team out there should have/could have bought out Toyota F1 for pennies on the dollar (or perhaps just one dollar) like Ross Brawn did. It would have made total sense from a practical business decision, even if you couldn't use some items, you could have made out like a bandit.

The problem is no one except Stehen GP did it and they're ready to roll if someone bows out.

The fact that USF1 said that they are doing something revolutionary that no one else is doing and we come to find out their suspension pieces are made of steel instead of carbon is not revolutionary. Missing payroll and then paying 50 cents on the dollar to employees is pretty much telling everyone you're done before even getting started.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
The fact that USF1 said that they are doing something revolutionary...... Missing payroll and then paying 50 cents on the dollar to employees is pretty much telling everyone you're done before even getting started.
Actually, that is pretty revolutionary and not often done in Formula One!

Quick Reply: No, for real... USF1 Monocoque