Sponsored by:

No, for real... USF1 Monocoque

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know the major backers of the program? I know 35 engineers vs. 100 is relatively small, but it still ain't cheap by any stretch.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Whether building a 9000 RPM push rod V8 that turns at near maximum RPM for hours on end, or building a 20,000 RPM F1 motor that runs up and down through nearly the entire rev range multiple times per lap, the same basic principles and laws apply. It seems so silly to suggest that the people applying those principles to the two different questions would be incapable of switching their focus from one question to the other. Whether F1 or NASCAR, the same tools and technologies are being used. The only thing that changes is the parameters and rules within which the engineers have to work.
Actually, the operating parameters that both engines run at are startlingly similar. Below is a great engineering article comparing the 2 engines.

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine..._cup_to_f1.htm
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:50 PM
billpor930
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F1 vs Cup engines

An interesting article, I guess my assumption has always been that the limiting factor affecting the racing engine is largely piston speed/acceleration based so not too surprising that these engines are both in the same neighborhood in these areas.
The thing that makes the F1 engine remarkable in my mind is that it has such a high BMEP at the rpm it operates in, double that of the cup engine, and that it is successful/reliable at such a light overall weight. While it is interesting that there are similarities regarding the stresses on the internal engine components the differentiating factor is the power generated per engine volume and this is where the F1 engine excels. I don't think you can compare the engines other than in the way that they were compared in the article Larry provided - Cup engines are much more restricted from a tuning perspective than F1 engines are. GO USF1!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

Successful nose crash test for US F1
11 January 2010

The latest compulsory FIA crash test has run according to plan for the US F1 team, which saw its nose cone completely destroyed in order to ensure it meets the required standards to go racing.

With all Formula 1 car components rigorously put through their paces before getting anywhere near a race track, US F1 travelled to Cranfield in Bedfordshire where its car's nose broke up as it should to confirm another successful test for the Charlotte-based team.

The outfit founded by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor remains the only team yet to sign at least one driver ahead of the upcoming season.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc0wFyCIDfE

Old 01-11-2010, 02:00 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,299 Likes on 615 Posts

chris what speed is that simulating? it looked really "shardy"
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,655 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

That may be why Peppermint Pat was shaking his head....

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I have my fingers crossed for USF1, and I hope they make some interesting driver picks. I kind of suspect JV may be one of them...

I'm not too sure what to read into the way they have publicized the nose element crash test...

On the one hand, we are told that the team is playing its cards close to its chest, but on the other hand, they extensively promote this result. I can only assume it is to spread the word that progress is being made.

However, how much progress? While not a trivial item, I would not think that the nose element test is that big of a mountain... It is a pretty straightforward design and there must be a fairly decent knowledge base within the industry about what it takes to pass this test. I guess it may be a sign that there are still many big pieces of the puzzle to come.

However, it has been mentioned that they basically have a car done, sans engine, so we might really only be seeing the very tip of the iceberg in terms of where USF1 is really at.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

reality is setting in..

“In a separate story, there is a suggestion in Gazzetta that USF1 has applied to the FIA for a derogation to miss the early fly away races and start at the Spanish Grand Prix in April. This contradicts USF1 sporting director Peter Windsor’s assertion last week that the team will definitely be in Bahrain. It’s Sunday today, but I will follow this up when the offices open on Monday.”
Old 01-11-2010, 02:41 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
2009 F1 regulations 15m/sec (33.5mph)
Decel over first 150mm max = 10g
value of decel over first 60kj = 20g
value of decel after first 60kj = 40g
peak decel in dummy chest not to exceed 60g longer than 3ms
Old 01-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
...The outfit founded by Ken Anderson and Peter Windsor remains the only team yet to sign at least one driver ahead of the upcoming season.
Originally Posted by amjf088
I have my fingers crossed for USF1, and I hope they make some interesting driver picks...
The driver choice of USF1 is telling and it's not a good thing so it won't be interesting.

They're only shopping for a money bag than can somewhat drive, for a team that's starting, that's not the way to advance, it's only a way to pay bills.

Look at Lotus, they signed two experienced driver who both get paid rather than bringing a ton of money, that makes the future of that team look good. If USF1 bring in couple of unexperienced drivers who's main "feature" is cash, it's not gonna be good and they know it, of course if the reality is that they don't have money, it has to come from somewhere but this all makes it look not so good which is bad, I was hoping they'd do better.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you make perfect sense there Finn... Two pay drivers would not bode well for long term development. That is one reason I hope JV ends up there. I don't think he was necessarily that great of a development driver, but beggars can't be choosers either (i.e. the team is not offereing the most attractive seats on the grid).

However, I think your suspicions hold weight - they may not be willing to pay and JV won't drive for free and he likely wouldn't bring more than his salary demands with him as sponsorship $$.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,033 Posts

There's no one in Canada that can back JV with $$ to drive?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

There's always Ralph Schumacher, wait, he'd have to bring money, sorry.

Last edited by chris walrod; 01-11-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply: No, for real... USF1 Monocoque