Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Thanks BigPine Key those pics are great...

In the 4th picture it looks like Jan is starting to loose it but I don't see that Joerg has pinched him any more than in the previous picture.
I wonder if he might have run through some clag and the back end got loose...
As was mentioned earlier, the pit wall angles out into the track going up the hill towards T1, so all JB had to do was hold it straight and JM would have run out of room. Vette tries to avoid the wall, comes across the RSR's bow, touches, and there ya go..

That is definitely some tough racing and JB's move to the left was very aggressive. But given the attempt by JM to "loosen him up", or punt him in T11 (which seems pretty clear) I'm not sure what JB should have done differently in the heat of battle...I mean just give up and let JM play thru for the win?? Tough call IMO.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

From those few stills it looked like magussen went to push back and bergmeister wasn't there...already on the binders... It does look like a lot more room than it appears from the broadcast. Man what a race...you knew it wasn't going to end well...Everybody deserved a time out on that one... Next year is going to be hot right out of the box me thinks...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

I agree, JM still had room left between him and the wall. He certainly wasn't pushed into the wall by JB. I'm guessing it was the other way around, JM felt a bit cramped and a bit irritated, turned right to bump JB and was so far ahead that JB acted like a hinge and off goes JM into the wall.
Awesome race regardless.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm guessing that what turned the Vette was his rear wheel rubbing the front wheel of JB's car. That alone will turn your car. I've had it done to me w/o a mark on the car, just marks on the wheel and I was going a lot slower than the Vette but I was turned just like that.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I wish I would have seen this thread yesterday so I could set the DVR but I was enjoying a beautiful, though chilly day at the Glen.

Looking for replay schedule now before I read the rest of the thread.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

It almost looked like JB let him have some room at that point, and then JM turned in to hit JB away and he wasnt there, spinning himself. The only real contact was the bumping to keep the vet from getting ahead after being loosened up on the exit of 11, where the 911 wouldnt have had a chance in the drag race. The vet said no and pushed on. The point at which it loses it, is unclear. Probably JM will be the on one that knows what really happened there. surprisingly there was room along the way down the main straight to the wall side if you watch the video. By the way, that wall is pretty straight, from a drivers perspective.

mk

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
I'm guessing that what turned the Vette was his rear wheel rubbing the front wheel of JB's car. That alone will turn your car. I've had it done to me w/o a mark on the car, just marks on the wheel and I was going a lot slower than the Vette but I was turned just like that.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mjb
As was mentioned earlier, the pit wall angles out into the track going up the hill towards T1, so all JB had to do was hold it straight and JM would have run out of room. Vette tries to avoid the wall, comes across the RSR's bow, touches, and there ya go..

That is definitely some tough racing and JB's move to the left was very aggressive. But given the attempt by JM to "loosen him up", or punt him in T11 (which seems pretty clear) I'm not sure what JB should have done differently in the heat of battle...I mean just give up and let JM play thru for the win?? Tough call IMO.
+1
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After further review, the play on the field has been reversed.

If the Porsche had not rotated slightly clockwise, immediately before lifting to avoid the Corvette crossing in front (55 sec mark), it would have been on a line that would have ultimately caused it to make contact with the pit lane wall.

See the larger HD version on YouTube

Old 10-14-2009, 02:47 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

did the 45 brake check him at 5 sec? look at the nose drop and the rear suspension lift
Old 10-14-2009, 03:19 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking at all this it looks like the 3 car got loose right before he cut across. Hard to say the 45 pushed him loose as you don't really see the 45 get any close to the wall. You can see the 45 move away from the wall once the 3 lost it, but I can't see any movement that shows the 45 turned into the 3.

Now before the 45 did run 3 down to the wall forcing the 3 to either get on the wall to pass or back off. Fair move as you are allowed to take any line. The 45 did not run the 3 into the wall but tried to prevent the 3 from taking the inside.

It seems possilbe that the 3 lost rear grip due to the left side tires being a very dirty part of the track as he tried to cut over to the left as he felt he had passed the 45.

The only camera angle is very poor and the dust and dirt just makes it that much harder. A head on shot would be better, but the best angle would be top down.

From this shot. It looks like the 3 is already sideways. However the 45 is at the door of the 3. This will not put the 3 sideways so much as shove him torward the wall. Also the damage to the 45 is just in the corner indicating a 45 degree hit with the 3 vs a side to side that might have turned the car. Again no evidence that the 45 turned the 3. This seems to indicate that the 45 hit the 3 after the 3 started to cut back over to the left rather than any contact by the 45 causing the 3 to turn.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Those Vette boys needed someone to teach them they can't constantly run into people which seems to be the consensus from most everyone. Jan intentionally bumped from way back and then after getting shown that the door was shut, tried to muscle his way through on the side of the track that was right up against a wall. Joerg shuts the door and holds his line driving straight, Jan got what was inevitably coming to him.

Add that to the fact that Jan knew for a fact he could not walk the Porsche on the straight because lap after lap he could not, just shows how intentional that bump was. If Joerg allows himself to be bumped and then muscled out of the way, he'd have been labeled a wuss. You are kidding me if you expect ME to lift after a guy has come from way back to intentionally hit me and move me out of the way on a section that he knew he had no chance on while using the advantage from said hit to get a run while I'm steering right when I should be steering left because he hit me, and THEN try to push his way by. You have GOT to be kidding!

Road Rage FTW.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brendorenn
did the 45 brake check him at 5 sec? look at the nose drop and the rear suspension lift
There is a slight depression in the track surface at the apex of T11. Watch the front and rear suspensions of both cars as they pass through a single point... they both compress at the apex. The slow motion effect gives the appearance that braking is taking place only at that one spot, but it's likely that they are at the very end of the braking zone if not already on the throttle.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 AM
wanna911
Race Car

After looking at that slow mo it looks like Joerg tried to shut the door on Jan when he was still ahead, but Jan pushed his way past, when Jan got the lead, he tried to shut the door back instead of just using the space he had and spun himself out. Makes sense being as the Porsche had been faster on the straight.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ervtx
There is a slight depression in the track surface at the apex of T11. Watch the front and rear suspensions of both cars as they pass through a single point... they both compress at the apex. The slow motion effect gives the appearance that braking is taking place only at that one spot, but it's likely that they are at the very end of the braking zone if not already on the throttle.
got it

Quick Reply: Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....