Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It goes something like this:

You're so proud you were at the race and know something the rest of us don't. So you post an attention grabbing topic, but you require a person to click into your thread to know that you are suggesting to watch the tape delay. Now most of us are smart enough not to click into threads like this.

Really, although you think you're pure, your thread title is revealing of what happened: a close finish in what was a critical GT2 battle. I wish people would just control themselves with these race topics. The safest title would be "ALMS Laguna" or similar. People will click at their own peril.

Hell, if you truly only wanted people to remember to watch, start a thread "don't forget ALMS Laguna on Speed today".

Thanks for the insightful physiological profile Doc. I'm sure anaylizing people's intentions over the internet is a growing field and I wish you the best of luck. As I said previously, you're joking right?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Bad John, go to your room.
IMHO, the move the Jan made going through pit out should have been a drive-thru peanlty. That was one of the most wreckless moves I've seen. And what was Gavin thinking on that restart. I guess these Vette guys have been running against themselves so long they forgot how to play well with others.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whether it was the Vette or the Porsche a drive thru penalty should have been given for using the pit lane as racing surface. Had a car been coming out of the pit lane it would have been ugly. There is a reason for a blend line, but is usually is for the opposite. Still was a ballsy move!!!!
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer

Ready for 2010, a new rivalry, the 911 has another championship, can the Lizards 3-peat?
Other than for obvious reasons, it's going to be a tough year to repeat next year for the simple reason that both Rahal, and Corvette have two cars on the same team capable of winning races. Lizards and Farnbacher only have one shot in the barrel which is a disadvantage. Hopefully Farnbacher puts forth a better effort next year and give Wolf a full season driver as opposed to the musical chair that is his co-driver.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Other than for obvious reasons, it's going to be a tough year to repeat next year for the simple reason that both Rahal, and Corvette have two cars on the same team capable of winning races. Lizards and Farnbacher only have one shot in the barrel which is a disadvantage. Hopefully Farnbacher puts forth a better effort next year and give Wolf a full season driver as opposed to the musical chair that is his co-driver.
It is odd because the ALMS website said earlier this year that Dirk Werner and Wolf Henzler would race full-time in 2009, but Dirk often raced for the team in Grand Am.

Richard Westbrook drove a great race in the Vici Racing 911. Team Falken Tire had a much better race than Petit Le Mans or Long Beach.

Jan Magnussen was ahead of the #45 Porsche 911 on the straight, but Joerg pushed the #3 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R to the wall and spun him in the 2009 Monterey Sports Car Championships presented by Patrón.

http://www.speedtv.com/video/popup/4...0001/595226652

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/lemans-alms/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/alms/

Melo did not keep pushing the #45 Porsche 911 in the 2007 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring, unlike what Marc Lieb did to the #21 Panoz Esperante GTLM in the 2009 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring presented by Fresh from Florida.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWo8VdMb8I
Old 10-12-2009, 12:02 AM
171mph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F1? We don't need no stinking F1!

amazing show of skill and bravado.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

great finish.
jorg held his line at T2. if you have driven LS, you would know that it's a stupid move to pass on outside of T2. and if you want to do it, be prepared to drive on dirt. this is how SM do it at T2.

and the bump at T11 the very last lap????
what's that all about? he deserve to kiss the all.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This one is going to spark a feud going into next season. But yeah, Jan had no business bumping into 11, that's like video game passing where you punt the car in front and dive underneath, not for pro racing. Hate he had to end up in the wall, however I'd rather see Joerg take the win than have the Corvette penalized after using that tactic to get by.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:34 AM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had it DVRd and told my wife to come watch it. She has no interest in racing but she was glued and yelling. Unbelievable! Good stuff Jorg. The bump at 11 by Magnussen was totally uncalled for.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

AMAZING! I hope he didnt get too banged up after that. Brings back BAD memories!

I think that was a pretty tight move to not give racing room to the inside, even if Jorg got bumped through 11. BUT, if he hadnt got bumped, he might not have tried to get to the narrow side of the main straight. that was as agressive as it gets. WOW, ureal finish. Hey, at least the vet crossed the finish line 2nd!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:54 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^ The Vette did, at least most of the car ..................................
Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobt993
^^^^^^^^^^^^ The Vette did, at least most of the car ..................................
....And sideways!!!!.......

My guess is they considered that one continuous incident initiated by Jan
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I saw this thread and couldn't go to bed without watching the ending. The last 20 min of the race were great between the overall lead battle and the GT2 finish. Great Watch for sure.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rumor heard at the track is that they suspended/penalyzed Jorg. No formal announcement yet. Results still aren't final...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Rumor heard at the track is that they suspended/penalyzed Jorg. No formal announcement yet. Results still aren't final...
I checked the ALMS website and there is no mention of a protest or penalty...

http://americanlemans.com/events/cur...0FinalRace.pdf

On another note... of course we all saw it as justified but I was wondering if anyone knew of a corvette racing website where they might see things a "little differently"??
Might make for interresting reading...

Quick Reply: Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....