Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I just saw the clip of this mess.

Bergmeister should get a 6 race suspension next season. That was one of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen at that level.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
I would heartily disagree, You will get additional data in 2 weeks...
Old 10-12-2009, 10:15 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

ok i am not saying joerg was innocent but he gave the vette some room and then he hit the brakes while the vette was trying to bang into again. Read Lg's comments on the way the vettes were driving all race and practice and how there team chears them on when they take someone out.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The crew chief of the Vette team was encouraging this type of "racing" throughout the whole event. You can hear him egging his drivers on during the radio braodcast. IMHO they are a total redneck outfit. All Joerg did was give them a taste of their own medicine. I can't wait to see the data on this one....and i can't wait until Sebring!!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Bergmeister and Magnussen placed on probation for last-lap ALMS wreck
October 12, 2009

IMSA, the sanctioning body for the American Le Mans Series, announced Monday that it has placed drivers Jorg Bergmeister and Jan Magnussen on a two-race probation period for the start of the 2010 season with a minimum two race suspension in abeyance, for their parts in the "avoidable contact" that resulted in GT2 driver Magnussen crashing heavily on the last lap.

Should either driver commit further offenses in the first two rounds of 2010, he will receive at minimum a two-race ban from competition by IMSA.

After the race, neither Magnussen nor Bergmeister seemed particularly upset with the other about the incident, in which the Corvette driver was spun into the wall as he battled with Flying Lizard Porsche driver for the GT2 class victory on the run to the line. Magnussen was taken to the circuit's medical center for checks, where it was confirmed that he had not been hurt, and the Dane and co-driver Johnny O'Connell were still classified second.

"It was really good, hard racing," said Magnussen.

"I'm definitely sorry Jan went into the wall," Bergmeister said. "I didn't want that to happen. But it was a banging game. I'm glad he's OK. It was tough racing."
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I just saw the clip of this mess.

Bergmeister should get a 6 race suspension next season. That was one of the most unprofessional things I have ever seen at that level.

+1
Old 10-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Bad behavior does not justify even worse behavior.

Glen, OK, I am sure we will. But pushing the guy into the wall as they approached the checker & spinning him into a high speed head-on? Puh-LEEEEZE.....

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

How do you differentiate pushing someone into the wall vs your one move?

The RSR headed straight towards the wall immediately after being hit from behind and did not seem to deviate from that path until after the Vette hit the wall. Looks to me like the Vette should have lifted, he knew he could not make it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:18 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad behavior does not justify even worse behavior.

Glen, OK, I am sure we will. But pushing the guy into the wall as they approached the checker & spinning him into a high speed head-on? Puh-LEEEEZE...

What goes around comes around so to speak.

Magnussen just got a taste of his own medicine. From his reaction after the race, it seems he undertstands this.

What an awesome race and a great (if not clean) finish! Wow!

JL
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I can tell you one thing, next year the vettes will think twice when trying to F with Joerg or they will feel bite of the Lizard.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I cannot believe all the porsche homers in here, I thought RL would be above this. One move? Are you kidding, riding the guy into the wall is far from one move.

+1 to what VR said, suspension or a stricter punishment is needed.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiLew
Magnussen just got a taste of his own medicine. From his reaction after the race, it seems he undertstands this.
+1
Old 10-12-2009, 11:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

That is a good point, but as he went to the wall, he felt the vet side by side. he contuned to bash him into the wall as he progressed along side and then in front, the continued hits, spun the vet around as it had most of the body in front of the 911.

Originally Posted by analogmike
How do you differentiate pushing someone into the wall vs your one move?

The RSR headed straight towards the wall immediately after being hit from behind and did not seem to deviate from that path until after the Vette hit the wall. Looks to me like the Vette should have lifted, he knew he could not make it.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

They should give VR and me those seats for the first 2 races!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
That is a good point, but as he went to the wall, he felt the vet side by side. he contuned to bash him into the wall as he progressed along side and then in front, the continued hits, spun the vet around as it had most of the body in front of the 911.

That has yet to be shown to me. If so I agree, but as was pointed out, the wall juts out and the RSR may have been going straight. I will wait for the data that Glen says we will see, I am guessing it will prove the RSR did not turn into him and force him into the wall but we'll see.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:09 AM
dp35
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
...as he went to the wall, he felt the vet side by side. he contuned to bash him into the wall as he progressed along side and then in front, the continued hits, spun the vet around as it had most of the body in front of the 911.
But what about the outward curve of the wall? Had the wall been straight it would've been different, but its not. The Vette committed to an impossible line, which required him to turn to the right while partially in front of the Porsche. That's a recipe for exactly what happened. The only way that line would've worked was if JB would've moved to the right as the wall curved out, to accomodate the Vette's pass. Who here would do that?

Quick Reply: Great GT2 Finish at Laguna Last Night....