Sponsored by:

Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwentySix
Yup, she was about to get freight trained and drop 2+ positions if she didn't keep her momentum up and shoot the gap.

The SRF that turned into her must have been watching the cars come up on it's right side. Either that or he was squeezing her on purpose hoping to only lose 2 positions instead of 3. He left them PLENTY of room though, so I'm not sure why he felt the need to continue moving left unless it was on purpose.

As for the initial wreck in that video...DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES IN A RED FLAG SITUATION. Check your mirrors, stick your hand up, and start to slow your car in a manner that allows everyone else behind you plenty of time to react. Nothing worse than someone causing another wreck while the track is going Red to allow safety workers to get to another wreck. And if the track DID go red (those look like red lights under the bridge), why did the cars ahead of the camera car continue on after slamming on the brakes initially?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
That is not common at Summit Point....... is it?........
It happens just about every race. Generally once during a sprint but in a longer enduro it can happen as many as 3 times.

But don't worry about all that
Old 09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

interesting perspective. I thought the right car either should have set the pick earlier, or given more room if he didnt, knowing they were buzzing the TR6. But ,he was probably watching the inside line of cars to the right. Wow, that was pretty spectacular footage.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:33 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

yep, car on right of camera car (1st video) gets credit for that.. imo...
the cars had room to pass on right. (4 wide!) if he held his line....

AND unless someone is running the same colors, (white w/ 2 red stripes) he gets credit for the crash in the 2nd video, on his sudden lift...
Old 09-10-2009, 03:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Makes me even more convinced she made a tactical error based on tunnel vision.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-10-2009, 03:44 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Makes me even more convinced she made a tactical error based on tunnel vision.

why? there was room if he (2 red stripe car) hadn't moved over.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
It happens just about every race. Generally once during a sprint but in a longer enduro it can happen as many as 3 times.

But don't worry about all that
Yeah, don't worry Paolo, I gots me some special teflon i'm gonna duct tape to your roof.. You will actually accelerate once you rid yourself of the tire friction. Gotta mount a rudder in the rear wing and rig up some controls is all..
Old 09-10-2009, 03:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
why? there was room if he (2 red stripe car) hadn't moved over.
But he did. And you could see it coming a mile away. As well as the squeeze + flip.

Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Yeah, don't worry Paolo, I gots me some special teflon i'm gonna duct tape to your roof.. You will actually accelerate once you rid yourself of the tire friction. Gotta mount a rudder in the rear wing and rig up some controls is all..
Sounds like a plan to me.........
Old 09-10-2009, 04:31 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The negative Gs were entertaining.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
But he did. And you could see it coming a mile away. As well as the squeeze + flip.

well, ok. I guess you could see it coming. still doesn't make it right...

he announced it in first 'warning' wheel shake, then moves over when the car was already inside of him.... I'd call that a chop. not closing the door.

correct move would have been to close the door way before she got along side.. or move over to shut the door on the 2 cars closing on the right. she would have needed to jam the brakes to get out of that...

moving over when someone is along side on a straight is just chicken ****.

maybe she should have backed off, but I wouldn't have. and he have a payback coming. for sure!
Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
well, ok. I guess you could see it coming. still doesn't make it right...

he announced it in first 'warning' wheel shake, then moves over when the car was already inside of him.... I'd call that a chop. not closing the door.

correct move would have been to close the door way before she got along side.. or move over to shut the door on the 2 cars closing on the right. she would have needed to jam the brakes to get out of that...

moving over when someone is along side on a straight is just chicken ****.

maybe she should have backed off, but I wouldn't have. and he have a payback coming. for sure!
All true, except for the need for a "payback". That is just stupid and juvenile. Sometimes blinking, and preventing sure disaster, is better than charging ahead & ending up on your roof....or your head.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,426 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Okay, this is my opinion on this...FWIW

After seeing the onboard shot, it appears the car on the right is indecisive on whether to close the door or not and as a result, is moving left and right and then back to the left, causing the accident. It appears on the onboard shot that the car on the right has plenty of room and is squeezing her.

After reviewing the "View from the rear" it's clear that the "car on the right" has company trying to pass him on the far right. He is trying to manage the gap between the car that is on his left (Car that eventually flips) and the car on his right.

My opinion is that the move by the car that flipped is at fault for an "Overly optimistic move".

Those that say the worst that would have happened if the TR6 didn't have over extented tires beyond the fender line is a little rubbing, then you have to accept the fact that your "100 out of 100 attempts" in that situation would result in a high probability of damage and perhaps a 13/13 if that is what these folks were racing under.

The move wasn't necessary in that situation, IMHO and the fact that three cars seem to be side by side down the straight and she was trying to make it 4 with not enough room to do so leads me to this.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Those that say the worst that would have happened if the TR6 didn't have over extented tires beyond the fender line is a little rubbing, then you have to accept the fact that your "100 out of 100 attempts" in that situation would result in a high probability of damage and perhaps a 13/13 if that is what these folks were racing under.
1) This is SRF. Everything I've said on this thread must be considered in that context. No power. REALLY hard to make up lost ground. No 13/13. SRF racers are accustomed to some bumping and don't mind a little bit of fiberglass repair between sessions. It goes along with the territory of racing a VERY close, low powered, heavy spec series in cars with a lot more grip than power.

2) Even if it WAS a 13/13 series, the 13 belongs to the car that created the contact IMO. Not to the car that ended up on it's head while driving straight on a STRAIGHT due to being ran into by another car.

Originally Posted by Pete
The move wasn't necessary in that situation, IMHO and the fact that three cars seem to be side by side down the straight and she was trying to make it 4 with not enough room to do so leads me to this.
You've obviously never driven a SRF. If she had backed off, the cars on the right who had a run and were drafting would have likely stretched out a 10+ car length, if not more, lead by the end of the straight. If they worked together on the straight for a lap or two after that with some drafting, she likely would have lost any chance at racing for the lead as they would have put a big gap on her. You just don't make up big gaps at the pointy end of a SRF field without a lot of drafting help.

Besides, as we can see from the 2nd video, there WAS room to make it 4 wide. MORE than enough room. If everyone had held their line, everyone would have made it down the straight without any issues whatsoever.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

good God, it's a race - of course you're going to take it.

If it was FredC driving, he would have flipped completely over back on to his wheels and passed 4 more cars in the grass before T1

Quick Reply: Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view