Two thoughts:

1- It's a TR6, not a Spitfire.
2- That's a HELL of a camera!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
She is a VERY experienced racer and a very safe one to boot. The move was not initated until the SRF to the right opened the gap, and she was fully committedd when that car began to drift back left [for no good reason that I can see].
The armchair quarterbacking is out of order. She has been racing SRF for many years, and the cheap shots being made here are just that. Cheap.
Simmer down, Tony. No one is making cheap shots. But even the best racers make mistakes every once in a while.

Don't let your personal friendship with this person cloud your objectivity.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dp35
I won't criticize the attempted pass maneuver - but - there sure did seem to be a lot of erratic throttle application in that video, including WOT while airborne/inverted and then sliding along upside down.
If you've never been inverted and/or airborne in a race car, you might not want to pass judgement.

I do have a wealth of experience here, and will state that a whole bunch of **** goes on with hands and feet that is totally involuntary. I've trained myself to "turtle" when ugly stuff is about to come to an abrupt end, but I won't swear that all my appendages have the same playbook as my head.

Onward:

Multiple problems here -

One...a pet peeve of mine, is that cars under FCY don't keep pace. Look at the gap between the Triumph and the car in front of it. Invitation to disaster on a restart.

Two...not sure, but believe it was a BFA, which should have required a re-grid, and lappers have gone to the rear...doesn't look like that happened, so there is a blend of "rockets" and "slugs", in close proximity, on the restart.

Three..."If you don't have radios, watch the flag stations". When those double-yellows drop, YOU'RE RACING. Not everyone got the message at the same moment. Also see "One" above.

Four...Sometimes, **** happens. Four wide doesn't really work well there...lord knows I've tried. Somebody is going to have two in the grass. Who should have backed out ? If you're 4 on the pavement, are you going to back out ?

How to view all this ?

Triumph should have hung on the bumper of the car in front, but who knows if it was a 'gearing' thing, or just an experience thing. Looks like rookie stripes. Regardless, no crooked finger pointed at him. Did what he was supposed to do.

SRF camera car ? You only find out it's a "low percentage move" after you've made it. I still haven't found that crystal ball in any of my race cars. Am I looking in the wrong place ? If there are 4 cars, it only takes 1 to blink and the whole thing gets resolved happily. How many racers want to be the one who blinks first ? Really.

Cars to the right ? Not enough info to see how much pavement they had to work with. Looks like they squooze left...but who knows.

Lots of opinions will be offered. Most of them will be bull****. Be selective with your hearing.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
You only find out it's a "low percentage move" after you've made it. I still haven't found that crystal ball in any of my race cars.
Exactly. If she made it we would have been hearing "great pass."

Last edited by Greg Smith; 09-10-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who cares as long as she is all right.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think it always looked like she was going to get squeezed and had she pulled the move off it would have been described as 'bold' with inverted commas. I also think she had time to pull out just enough without anyone losing a place...including hers. I'm sure she sounds like a good and experienced driver, but my gut feeling is she made a mistake and I wonder what her response on the video would be?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
I would have tried it
Mee too. I see squeezing by passes between 2 cars at least 3-4X on every PCA race, at the start and restarts. IMO, the things to consider as big risk factors are race groups that combine (big) cars with small prototypes, allowing tires that stick out beyond the fenders, and poor execution of a FCY restart as noted above.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I also think she had time to pull out just enough without anyone losing a place...including hers.
I've seen a tiny breath at speed on a straight in a low powered spec car like a SRF or Spec Miata result in a car getting freight trained by 5-6+ other cars in class. You simply don't lift on the straights in those cars unless there is a wreck on track in front of you.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:37 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd have gone for it, without hesitation. Crappy peripheral driving by the other two, IMO - maintain your line!!!

I've made passes with less room than that... sometimes you hang a wheel (or more) over the edge, sometimes there's a little leaning. Steel fenders are good that way. Fiberglass, not so much.

Amusing to see how crappy the TR6's fender flares were; he knew there was a problem, but was too half-assed to fix it properly. There's a reason for rules about fenders - and that's why I'm moving up to a fendered class, not open-wheel!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar situation at WGI earlier this year, only I got away with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKL5aEtXDXQ
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

you guys are saying the SRF on drivers right was getting squeezed and had to move over??

otherwise, it sure looks like the SRF on drivers right, cause this, by moving over when the wheels on the camera car were already at the 'door'. looked like it was still a straight.. why did they move left? there?

I have to blame this on car on drivers right.

but it does show the strenght of the tub...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The incident happens within the first part of the main straight at Summit Point, well before SF. The track width does not vary, so unless the SRF on her right was being pressed by a car to its rear there's no apparent reason for the squeeze. Seems to suggest that he was not aware that she was there.

FWIW, I don't know her well at all personally. I do know her record and reputation, and raced for several seasons with her husband.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

As has been noted elsewhere:

"Any idiot can flatspot tires. REAL racers flatspot cages".
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Who cares as long as she is all right.
damn straight
Old 09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

The view from behind