Sponsored by:

Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
good God, it's a race - of course you're going to take it.
IMO, this is precisely why there is SO much contact in the last few years in PCA races.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
1) This is SRF. Everything you or I saw must be considered in that context. No power. REALLY hard to make up lost ground. No 13/13. SRF racers are accustomed to some bumping and don't mind a little bit of fiberglass repair between sessions. It goes along with the territory of racing a VERY close, low powered, heavy spec series in cars with a lot more grip than power.

2) Even if it WAS a 13/13 series, the 13 belongs to the car that created the contact IMO. Not to the car that ended up on it's head while driving straight on a STRAIGHT due to being ran into by another car.

You've obviously never driven a SRF. If she had backed off, the cars on the right who had a run and were drafting would have likely stretched out a 10+ car length, if not more, lead by the end of the straight. If they worked together on the straight for a lap or two after that with some drafting, she likely would have lost any chance at racing for the lead as they would have put a big gap on her. You just don't make up big gaps at the pointy end of a SRF field without a lot of drafting help.

Besides, there WAS room to make it 4 wide. MORE than enough room. If everyone had held their line, everyone would have made it down the straight without any issues whatsoever.
Can you imagine SRF with 13/13. By the third race of the season, there wouldn't be any cars left.

A BIG thing that some of you folks are missing, along with what has already been said, is that you have ability to play arm-chair-quarterback with a camera view that is a good 7-10" higher than the driver's eyes. Having driven SRF (and other low cars) I can attest that the extra height completely changes what you can see.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
IMO, this is precisely why there is SO much contact in the last few years in PCA races.

I disagree, having run many races and seen plenty of contact (and been involved). It's not from good drivers being aggressive it's from boneheads who have no reason to be on track and do stupid things.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
A BIG thing that some of you folks are missing, along with what has already been said, is that you have ability to play arm-chair-quarterback with a camera view that is a good 7-10" higher than the driver's eyes. Having driven SRF (and other low cars) I can attest that the extra height completely changes what you can see.
Of COURSE we are. That is the point of this thread from the OP!

Old 09-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sean F
I disagree, having run many races and seen plenty of contact (and been involved). It's not from good drivers being aggressive it's from boneheads who have no reason to be on track and do stupid things.
And I contend that this was a low probability move, made so by the asshat on her right, which should never have been made in those circumstances.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:41 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 171 Likes on 98 Posts

What would have happened if she would have held her line and hit the SRF moving left on her a little harder instead of hitting the TR6? It is a bit unclear to me if she was pushed into the TR6 or if she drifted too close to the TR6 trying to really thread a needle. My guess is that the right SRF would have moved back right and been encouraged to hold his line and it would have been a drag race between the SRF's. If she did move over to avoid contact with the right SRF it is a classic case of "no good deed goes unpunished."

Having Done as the professor says, "flatspot my rollcage", I don't do good deeds anymore.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,426 Likes on 2,036 Posts

1) This is SRF. Everything I've said on this thread must be considered in that context. No power. REALLY hard to make up lost ground. No 13/13. SRF racers are accustomed to some bumping and don't mind a little bit of fiberglass repair between sessions. It goes along with the territory of racing a VERY close, low powered, heavy spec series in cars with a lot more grip than power.

2) Even if it WAS a 13/13 series, the 13 belongs to the car that created the contact IMO. Not to the car that ended up on it's head while driving straight on a STRAIGHT due to being ran into by another car.

You've obviously never driven a SRF. If she had backed off, the cars on the right who had a run and were drafting would have likely stretched out a 10+ car length, if not more, lead by the end of the straight. If they worked together on the straight for a lap or two after that with some drafting, she likely would have lost any chance at racing for the lead as they would have put a big gap on her. You just don't make up big gaps at the pointy end of a SRF field without a lot of drafting help.

Besides, as we can see from the 2nd video, there WAS room to make it 4 wide. MORE than enough room. If everyone had held their line, everyone would have made it down the straight without any issues whatsoever.
Albeit true I've never been in a SRF, it sounds a lot like a 125cc Rotax Kart I raced for years: high grip, low hp, low to the ground, no 13/13 rules, etc. In fact with a sealed spec engine, spec tires, spec fuel and mix in single direct drive gear, you have an even greater risk of losing positions than in SFR.

There was room for 4 wide on that straight, but car #3 was not giving her that room and she was trying to put a square shape through a triangle hole. Instead of losing a few spots on the straight, she lost a car and DNFed.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

She has bigger ***** than I do -- its always too easy to criticize a move afterwards even with actual speed video to play back -- for some reason, things always happen faster in real time than they do on video. So, unless you had your butt planted into that car, its rather difficult to second guess her decisions.

I agree with the above -- if she had made the pass, we'd all be praising her.

Full throttle is oh so common in just about any racecar shunt -- I have seen data from many open wheel crashes -- almost all go FT during the event. Its hard enough to get drivers to pull their hands from the steering wheel.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:38 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,426 Likes on 2,036 Posts

^^ True. And from what we know, she is a very experienced driver that has made that pass/move several times. Another variable we don't know is that the driver on her right might be a guy she has raced with for years and trusts him enough that he will hold his line.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I completely agree with you especially since there was room to go 4 wide if the car didn't come over on her.

HOWEVER... among the stewards in PCA (and even among active racers in this thread), there is a lot of disagreement about who is at fault in something like this. Heck, I was once the car on the far, far right, and I almost got the 13 when a collision happened.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

For what it's worth, I think people who drive open cockpit races cars operate at a whole different level of risk... There is no way in hell I would race one... no way....

About her move, it seems to me that there was initially enough room between the car and the red striped rolling coffin to make the move stick (I would have gone for it). Too bad it didn't stick because it would have been an equally interesting video to watch.

I would have had a word with the driver in the red striped rolling coffin ...
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI5Y7Nl2Bic

look at this video again... :09 - :12

she is along side... almost even... Now tell me the move to the left was not intentional....

To me, its like being door to door on a straight, and getting run off the track....

-I just don't see any resonable explanation for the strped car to move left....
Old 09-11-2009, 01:56 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC
For what it's worth, I think people who drive open cockpit races cars operate at a whole different level of risk... There is no way in hell I would race one... no way....

red striped rolling coffin ...
Interesting. Do you happen to have the facts concerning the safety record of what you call rolling coffins?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Interesting. Do you happen to have the facts concerning the safety record of what you call rolling coffins?
Read what i wrote.... I wrote "I think". Not substantiated at all. But when i watch the video that started this thread, the one of Massa's crash, and the one of the recent open-cockpit racing death (when the kid got hit on the head by a loose wheel from another car).... I am pretty happy to think that way.

As I wrote, open-cockpit racers operate at a whole different level.. a level at which I will never operate... This is not a knock on your guys at all. I admire what you do because I know I don't have the ***** to do it.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

SRF = Tanks,

open wheeled cars are another matter... other than getting wet when it rains, the are darn strong.

heck, look at that 2nd video where he tags the red striped car (and goes airborne) when the red lights come out... not many cars could renter the race after that...

Quick Reply: Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view