Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any problem with the move. I would have made the same move. Hell, I've made the same move in an open wheel car, in the rain.

You can't anticipate the squeeze, and even if you could, you would only get that outcome in a non-open wheel car maybe 1 out 100 times. 99 times out of 100, you rub fenders and everyone goes on with their life. It's not as if these are Formula Continentals. 3 fendered cars...you could never anticipate this outcome. Even if the door is closing, you've got a right to be there once your nose is in the hole IMO. In fendered cars, it's a perfectly acceptable move and would result in nothing more than a donut the next 99 times she tries it.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
That Pinto was hooked up!
That SCCA region has a regional class called GT Pinto. They all paddock together. Interesting group of racers.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
It would have been just fine if people had held their line like you expect in racing. The door was at first closed and then it opened. The Spitfire held a very good straight line on the outside. You lift on the straight in a restart with 18 SRF behind you, you become a problem.

I would have taken it every time in an SRF. Not so in formula cars.

Multiple things happened that made bad happen. Exposed tires on the spitfire, the fourth person wide, the car to her right pinching back to the left. While it wasn't ideal, it was a completely acceptable and expected racing move. You're immediate overreaction by calling her a fool was poor armchair quarterbacking.
Disagree. And her sliding 400' on her roll hoop, and thankfully not dying, is the proof.

The door closed. Then opened. Then closed again. Yet she still made the move. And look at the result. You calling it acceptable is astounding.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You lift on the straight in a restart with 18 SRF behind you, you become a problem.
Hell, for all I know, there was a group of 10 SRF's bump drafting (and gaining at a high rate of speed) down the straight behind her. I would make that move 100 times out of 100 in a SRF.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Hell, for all I know, there was a group of 10 SRF's bump drafting (and gaining at a high rate of speed) down the straight behind her. I would make that move 100 times out of 100 in a SRF.
In a rented one? really? with teh hole rapidly closing?

Wow.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In a rented one? really? with teh hole rapidly closing?
It wasn't rented.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

No doubt in my mind. The hole doesn't "rapidly" close until she's already in the thick of it. Backing out at the rate of decel she would have needed would have piled up everyone behind her (and we have no idea from the video exactly what was behind her). When you've got a run like that in SRF (or a Spec Miata for that matter), you take it. We're talking 3 fully fendered cars here...or at least 3 cars that are supposed to be fully fendered. That outcome was the perfect storm. Nothing but a fender rub (or nothing at all since there is room for 4 cars on the straight) 999 out of 1000 times (up from 99 out of 100 in my previous post).
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 PM
dp35
Pro

I won't criticize the attempted pass maneuver - but - there sure did seem to be a lot of erratic throttle application in that video, including WOT while airborne/inverted and then sliding along upside down.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

No doubt in my mind. The hole doesn't "rapidly" close until she's already in the thick of it. Backing out at the rate of decel she would have needed would have piled up everyone behind her (and we have no idea from the video exactly what was behind her). When you've got a run like that in SRF (or a Spec Miata for that matter), you take it. We're talking 3 fully fendered cars here...or at least 3 cars that are supposed to be fully fendered. That outcome was the perfect storm. Nothing but a fender rub (or nothing at all since there is room for 4 cars on the straight) 999 out of 1000 times (up from 99 out of 100 in my previous post).
Dude, the tires of the Brit car were so obviously sticking out...I knew exactly what the video would show as soon as it started. And it did. I would rather LFB a tiny bit & inconvenience folks behind briefly (if they were even that close) than have what happened happen. Seemed to me to be a bit of tunnel vision & brief situational unawareness caused by red mist.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that with a properly fendered car on the left, this would have been a nudge and some scuff marks.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bobt993
I agree that with a properly fendered car on the left, this would have been a nudge and some scuff marks.
But it wasn't.

And thus it wasn't.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by dp35
I won't criticize the attempted pass maneuver - but - there sure did seem to be a lot of erratic throttle application in that video, including WOT while airborne/inverted and then sliding along upside down.
It's a SRF...the throttle is an on/off switch. More grip than power. And she's working through MUCH slower traffic that is really bunching her and the other SRF up.

Are you really criticizing her for not releasing the throttle while flipping and sliding upside down?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dude, the tires of the Brit car were so obviously sticking out...I knew exactly what the video would show as soon as it started. And it did. I would rather LFB a tiny bit & inconvenience folks behind briefly (if they were even that close) than have what happened happen. Seemed to me to be a bit of tunnel vision & brief situational unawareness caused by red mist.
I'll agree to disagree. Even with the tires on the left car, you have the hole and everyone is pointed straight down the straight. You expect everyone to be situationally aware and hold their line, and even if the hole closes, 99 out of 100 times its a non-issue even with the tires on the Brit car.

Without 20/20 hindsight, I make that move every time without thinking twice. If that makes me overly aggressive, oh well. In 10 years of racing, I've yet to be the cause of a multi-car wreck. I think my record indicates I'm a decent judge of when to go and when not to.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I'll agree to disagree. Even with the tires on the left car, you have the hole and everyone is pointed straight down the straight. You expect everyone to be situationally aware and hold their line, and even if the hole closes, 99 out of 100 times its a non-issue even with the tires on the Brit car.
Agree to disagree. Everyone wasn't pointed straight--the guy to her immediate right was quite obviously pinching in closer & closer & closer....while the guy on the leftt was straight. She was in the middle of that **** sandwich, yet chose to go for it anyway. And paid the price for tunnel vision.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She is a VERY experienced racer and a very safe one to boot. The move was not initated until the SRF to the right opened the gap, and she was fully committedd when that car began to drift back left [for no good reason that I can see].
The armchair quarterbacking is out of order. She has been racing SRF for many years, and the cheap shots being made here are just that. Cheap.

Quick Reply: Very Agressive driving with Very Scary Point of view