Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should instructors have to pay?
Full price
0.59%
Reduced price
46.47%
Free registration
52.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Should instructors have to pay for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,531 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Do the regions that comp instructors tend to charge instructed students more than solo drivers?
Not PCA here. However, a for-profit group, The Drivers Edge, does.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Signed, Lid-less in Florida

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
+1

I really can't handle 2 students and have a good time at the track.
Also - NO CONVERTIBLES for me!

I'm cool with paying a reduced rate, taking one student, after all, the events need money AND instructors.
Hi Brian,
I'm curious about why you say "no convertibles". I'm one of those drivers with a convertible (FFR), although it is welded-in caged. The reason I'm asking is that although none of my Porsche/Corvette/BMW/Mazda-driving instructors complained, I'd like to know what you think should be done to a convertible make the instructors less reluctant to get in?
_____
Thanks,
/bs
Old 09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Thanks to all of you instructors!

As a current student, let me say thanks to all those who have in the past, currently, and in the future take up the job of instructing. I for one, and many who I have talked with, appreciate the time and expense you all sacrifice.

And as a student I feel that instructors should get a big break and be appreciated, as their contributions pay big dividends for students, clubs, and tracks. All of which need these DEs to stay in business.

And some of us students are real prats, for which no amount of thanks or money is enough reward to instructors.

I kind of see Club instructors like big college football players, woefully underpaid, yet critical to the success of the endeavor.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To me it seams completely absurd that an instructor should pay for instructing on a DE event. It's like if a teacher should pay the school to teach the students. In addition to be a good enough driver (and have the right attitude) so you actually can instruct the student drivers, there must be an incentive to become an instructor. The Lone Star Region PCA has got this figured out a long time ago, and every DE is sold out just a few days after the registration opens (some run groups within minutes...!!!). This coming week end LSR PCA muster 200 drivers on Texas World Speedway, including around 70 non paying instructors. To my knowledge, no student/driver in the green, blue, yellow or white run groups, have any problem with red run group drivers go for free. In my opinion, this ensures a safe and well organised DE week end, with a sufficient number of instructors available.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

I'm cool with the free registration. Should instructors also get free garage space when there are limited spaces?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I'm cool with the free registration. Should instructors also get free garage space when there are limited spaces?
HELL YES!!!!!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
George3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. Our club does give the garage spaces to instructors first at those tracks that have garages available. At those tracks with limited garage space, they are assigned to the club officers.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Sorry to disagree with you on this one I haven't had a garage space in 3 yrs, but I rarely sign up early which is my fault. When a club advertises 50 spaces when in fact there are only 35 or so available, it's a little disengenuous don't you find?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

FWIW- In the Ohio area (5 or 6 regions), Instructors are usually free, but also usually have at least two students. It does make for a lot of running from one car to another, and IMHO, does cut down on time spent with the student. In the last two events that I've instructed, I think I drove 1.5 sessions in my own car - which is cool for now, I'm not racing right now and have only a street car. I'm glad to do it to help out and pay back those that did it for me.
Now a 1:1 ratio - sweet!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Sorry to disagree with you on this one I haven't had a garage space in 3 yrs, but I rarely sign up early which is my fault. When a club advertises 50 spaces when in fact there are only 35 or so available, it's a little disengenuous don't you find?
Nope.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I look at this as the (in)famous quote about prostitution, "you're actually paying for the girl to leave." How much is your uninterrupted, solo track time worth to you? Thankfully, we don't have to cover great distances out West; and personally I've got the garage at Thunderhill. So it's easy to run on up, help out to the extent it's wanted (I'm the type who's loathe to sign off guys for the sake of them being signed off), run maybe 20-25 laps split between 3 or 4 cars, and head home. Would I pay to do that? Unlikely.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrotsaert
I haven't instructed since 2003 because I did not like the idea of having to give my time, brakes and tyres... Just a student adds 150 to 200 lbs and the extra weight meant huge incremental expenses and for every time I had a nice person, I had at least 1 other that thought they knew it all and I just couldn't put up with that...
So I've been doing it wrong all these years as a student! I have been hauling the 200lbs worth of instructor around in MY car when I could have been driving my instructor's car?

PS: As to pay or no-pay, it's market driven. If the club needs to attract instructors, they give away some or all of the fee.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nope.

that's a good point I should look into that.
If you can't beat 'em join 'em!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 374 Likes on 220 Posts

I think all instructors should be provided with free Hoosiers/slicks of their choice at every event. Please designate tire size and manufacturer when registering.

Exceptional instructors, like me, should receive a new GT3.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I think all instructors should be provided with free Hoosiers/slicks of their choice at every event. Please designate tire size and manufacturer when registering.
Best suggestion so far!

I voted for reduced fee. I instruct because I like to do it and I find it rewarding. Plus, as others have mentioned, I don't mind paying something knowing it's in support of the club (particularly for my local PCA Chapter). However, I think the reduced fee is a nice way of the club letting you know your efforts are appreciated. Little things, like free lunch tickets, are another nice incentive - not necessarily meaningful monetarily, but still make you feel like you're being rewarded for your time and effort.

I echo others' sentiments regarding 2 students. I did it once, and swore I wouldn't do it again. Too time consuming - I never felt like I could just relax and at times I felt like I was short-changing one student when I had to rush to tend to another. I wouldn't do 2 students again even for free.

Quick Reply: Should instructors have to pay for DE?