Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should instructors have to pay?
Full price
0.59%
Reduced price
46.47%
Free registration
52.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Should instructors have to pay for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
How about this one:

You show me how consistent you can be, and I'll show you how to go faster. You try and show me how fast you think you are, and we'll spend the weekend working on consistency.
I love it. My favorite (stolen from a motorcycle racer I was half listening to on the radio)...

If you want to go fast, don't hurry.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default pay to play

Not all situations are the same, I have no problem instructing and paying the usuall Northeast discounts.

Track rental is pretty high in the northeast. if you are not in a big region that is assured a solid turnout, (with a large instructor core) it gets pretty risky. The costs for an instructed students are so high these days that I never would have been able to get all the seat time that I needed to make the marginal improvements that I have. In reality there are very few new members that come to DEs that buy an older car, learn the wrenching, and learn to drive. Most of the new students have pretty deep pockets. It never was a poor man's game, but small regions such as ours have quite stagnant DE programs because a very few new members can afford to DE.

I think another contributing factor in requiring a finacial commitment from the instructors is the volatility of the weather in the Northeast. In the southwest it is warmer and generally dryer, in the southest it is warmer. In the northeast the season is short, and there are just plenty of days where driving is pure suck-full.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:47 AM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I support the free entry for instructors, but have no problem with paying a deposit to minimize the no-show problem. I do enjoy instructing (most of the time!), but I find it does take an increasing physical toll on me as I "gain experience" (get older).

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is the added cost of car preparation. Knowing that I will not have time to work on my own car, I tend to replace brakes and tires early enough to ensure that I won't need to do it during the weekend. As a solo driver, I might have been tempted to squeeze an extra weekend out of them, since I would have time between sessions to swap them if needed.

One issue I have with BMWCCA events is the lack of a solo group. Since everyone is either an instructor or needs one, LOTS of instructors are needed. Not only does this drive the student costs up, it also results in a jam packed instructor run group. Some chapters also tend to sacrifice instructor run time to make up for delays. Free track time is good, but I don't want to commit to a weekend for the chance that I might get an opportunity to run.

Interesting debate.

Quick Reply: Should instructors have to pay for DE?