Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What should instructors have to pay?
Full price
0.59%
Reduced price
46.47%
Free registration
52.94%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Should instructors have to pay for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:04 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i do not think instructors should pay...
Chin is great...no fee for instructors and attitude is great lots of pca instructors but only the nice ones show up to chin.... pca suncoast is great too and only charge i think 50 bucks for their fee...also great people...up north i think people are just a little colder.. If you have an opportunity, try Chin and if you are already a pca instructor, shouldn't be a problem to instruct after talking with mark or maria ..(no financial interests with Chin) also tons of track time vs pca.....
Old 09-30-2009, 02:22 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I can understand why so many instructors want free track time, but from a student's perspective, I do not understand why we have to pay for your track time, while we are already paying few hundred $$$ for your time + track time each event. If you are getting onto the track with your car, you should at least contribute to covering the costs for the organizers IMO, especially if you are getting the same amount of track time as the students.

Then we have uninstructed groups... we don't get an instructor assigned and finding one available when you ask for it is a luck of the draw, but we still pay full price So, I think instructors should at least pay half price, or a some other level of discount, but should pay.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:35 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, it really is up to the organizations. Some charge less so more can enjoy - which is why they charge the instructors something.

Most are clubs and volunteers and no one wants to run a DE into the red...

Some are "businesses" - and they make up their own rules as they go.

And then some of us do it for charity...

No matter which category you are in - you can bet the organizers do not want to get stuck going into their own (or club's) pocket to make up the difference if they didn't get the cash in...
Old 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attended an SCDA event at Monticello last Monday. Met a very nice guy in the pits who started asking me about the line, etc. (I've driven there on many occasions). Then he asked me if I'd go out with him for a couple of laps in his group to help him some more. Even at a moderate pace, sitting in a stock seat with a three-point harness scared the bejesus out of me. Hat's off big time to those of you who do this on a regular basis. I vote for free.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Even at a moderate pace, sitting in a stock seat with a three-point harness scared the bejesus out of me. Hat's off big time to those of you who do this on a regular basis
Welcome to viewing the instructor's world from the right hand seat....If you're not a instructor, why did SCDA allow you out with another driver anyway?
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Then we have uninstructed groups... we don't get an instructor assigned and finding one available when you ask for it is a luck of the draw, but we still pay full price
CVR region is encouraging non instructed drivers to ask for additional instruction. We've even had two events where white and black drivers have had a senior instructor assigned for at least one session and we have a check off box on our applications if you want additional instruction.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
Welcome to viewing the instructor's world from the right hand seat....If you're not a instructor, why did SCDA allow you out with another driver anyway?
Yes, it was quite a ride as they say, and I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. Don't know the answer to your question. I showed them my advanced group wrist band when we staged and off we went.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Instructor's get to have that much fun every event, sometimes with more than one student...
Old 09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Request #1 that I have of my students is make me feel safe. Then we can work on making you faster. Luckily I've only had two that have made me want out of the car. One calmed down after a talk and then made some decent progress. The others car broke down,.. and I was glad.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

my rules are:
we don't scare the instructor
we don't try to impress the instructor
No 10.0's on the sphincter scale....
Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Qwickrick
my rules are:
we don't scare the instructor
we don't try to impress the instructor
No 10.0's on the sphincter scale....
My favorite line to a student...

"Don't try to impress me because you can't and don't try to scare me because I already am"

I may even try it one day
Old 10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
My favorite line to a student...

"Don't try to impress me because you can't and don't try to scare me because I already am"

I may even try it one day
How about this one:

You show me how consistent you can be, and I'll show you how to go faster. You try and show me how fast you think you are, and we'll spend the weekend working on consistency.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
How about this one:

You show me how consistent you can be, and I'll show you how to go faster. You try and show me how fast you think you are, and we'll spend the weekend working on consistency.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:49 AM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I also didn't expect that I'd need to help another student and her boyfriend bleed the brakes on their new FR500 Mustang... But I did...

I guess I'm just new to this whole instructor thing...

Mike
Mike...I'll try to keep the Miata thing between us girls...I will be looking you up when the turbo is back on it's feet.

It is difficult to deal with 2 students in a weekend and get them a ride in your car. My limited experience is that more is gained from this than your CALM communication over the chatterbox while they are in the left hand seat. NASA MA gets instructors in for free, but you are going to have to work for it.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 68 Posts

Ted, You're correct... I never got a chance to get my blue run group student in the passenger seat. Fortunately he was a white run group guy who was driving in a lower class because of the unfamiliarity of the car he was driving!

He was a real treat to ride with, and smooth as silk in his line and shifting/braking!

Now, about that Miata....

Mike

Quick Reply: Should instructors have to pay for DE?