Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Thats my take also...
+2

2:52 was bad, but the rest was just racing.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OK then, I'll accept it like that.
But even after I dive bomb at the end, and fumble the downshift, he pulls a nice line-cross repass and then steals my line and forces me out of it.
I say Franz 1, Tim 1 1/2
Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Looks like good, hard racing to me. I've had other competitors come that close to me and it was no big deal.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:41 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Looks like good, hard racing to me. I've had other competitors come that close to me and it was no big deal.
+1. I'm not sure I'd call the move at 2:52 a chop. He left you all of the apex curbing and some of the actual track surface. From what I saw of Fred's video, that is easily more than one car width
Old 09-02-2009, 09:02 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

No way, Brian. I'm in a four wheel drift there and can't do a thing. I have to trust the guy, and quite frankly; I don't.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
+1. I'm not sure I'd call the move at 2:52 a chop. He left you all of the apex curbing and some of the actual track surface. From what I saw of Fred's video, that is easily more than one car width
LOL! New interpretation of PCA club racing rules "racing room"!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

And you guys are forgetting all the extra space Fred uses on the OTHER side of the curbing!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

LOL, Gary, you're always the quickest wit here.....

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
+1. Tim has been at this for a long time and wining with different platform. I have watched him race and he is agressive, but not a "dirty" racer. I think the differences in interpretations maybe based on experienced vs new racer.

I am the inexperienced guy who may qualify in the top 10, but always looses position in the race because I do not know how to drive agreesively.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
No way, Brian. I'm in a four wheel drift there and can't do a thing. I have to trust the guy, and quite frankly; I don't.
Hard to trust people you haven't raced against, but isn't that part of the thrill of racing - mastering a new track, studying the competition, figuring out where you are slower and faster, and planning ahead to execute a pass that will stick? In my short racing career, it seems like when one expects something to happen in racing, the unexpected happens and disappointment and over-driving results..... but whatever....

FWIW - I thought the "chop" was actually a textbook outside-inside pass by Mr. Costa. Perfectly executed and accomplished because you had to significantly tighten your radius at exit because you took the inside line on entry. Terrible for exit speeds, particularly at the beginning of a fast segment of straights and turns...

But whatever.....
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank,
As you can see I've pretty much stayed out of this conversation but I really would like to know why it is that you "dont trust me"? As some other people have said Ive been doing this for a while now and have been pretty successful. I agree that I my be somewhat agressive but as far as Im concerned that is the nature of this sport. Is it my driving style that bothers you or could it be the fact that I didnt heed to you after you repeatedly asked me to slow down so you could get by me? At no point in any of the races this weekend did I feel that I was either out of control or putting anyone else in danger. I honestly believe that I was just racing as hard as I could for the point of winning which is what I thought I signed up for.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:51 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arkadi
Anyone know what the official PCA call was on the big cup car accident on Saturday? Major mess.
Originally Posted by DanR
I think Musante got a 13 for spinning in T1 and the other 2 cups did not get a 13. Certainly Valentine ran the second race so can not have received a 13
I heard that Valentine had missed the double yellow flag before running full on into the 996 Cup, which was destroyed... he was not penalized?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What?

Come on Gums I thought you were going to let this go!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Let it go? We're gonna get 10 pages out of this!
No, it's been an eye opener for me and I'm glad to have all you guys to bounce this off of.
I knew you had to be lurking, Tim, so thanks for that and let me just say a few things and then I will let this go (maybe).
In the back of my mind I was considering that maybe this guy Tim is really good and does have a lot of experience and maybe it is ok. But, I will tell you that I was locked in a points chase (in which I now prevailed) with Ken Stadt, who is my buddy, and we raced all weekend long, every session, passing repassing and really going at it. After each session we'd get out and hug over it. So I love close racing, but I don't know you well enough to trust you, and when I did speak to you about it, it was clearly falling on deaf ears. I will also tell you that I've now fielded a handful of PM's behind the scenes here from other R-listers who clearly don't like racing you and question your tactics, some going so far as to say that it's well known and PCA won't do anything about it.
Further, I don't care what you say, and I don't have it on video, but the Sunday start of Sprint 3, at 9am into T1 for the first time, as the pace lap doesn't go through there and there was no warm up, was the most irresponsible dive bomb from I don't know how many rows back into standing water that I've ever seen. Sure, you dug it because it worked, but as I've said before, no one else was impressed .
OK, this is starting to sound like sour grapes for which I apologize. I have no beef with you, Tim, I will race you again, I now know what I'm dealing with, I'm glad to know that you are a capable and experienced driver, I am flattered that you trust me that much, and I'm open to your commentary and opinion. It's always a learning experience and I thank you for that and for being a sport. Please don't take this as a pissing match, that's not where I'm coming from.
In sport,
Franz
Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Garylimey
Racer

Let it go? We're gonna get 10 pages out of this!
No, it's been an eye opener for me and I'm glad to have all you guys to bounce this off of.
I knew you had to be lurking, Tim, so thanks for that and let me just say a few things and then I will let this go (maybe).
In the back of my mind I was considering that maybe this guy Tim is really good and does have a lot of experience and maybe it is ok. But, I will tell you that I was locked in a points chase (in which I now prevailed) with Ken Stadt, who is my buddy, and we raced all weekend long, every session, passing repassing and really going at it. After each session we'd get out and hug over it. So I love close racing, but I don't know you well enough to trust you, and when I did speak to you about it, it was clearly falling on deaf ears. I will also tell you that I've now fielded a handful of PM's behind the scenes here from other R-listers who clearly don't like racing you and question your tactics, some going so far as to say that it's well known and PCA won't do anything about it.
Further, I don't care what you say, and I don't have it on video, but the Sunday start of Sprint 3, at 9am into T1 for the first time, as the pace lap doesn't go through there and there was no warm up, was the most irresponsible dive bomb from I don't know how many rows back into standing water that I've ever seen. Sure, you dug it because it worked, but as I've said before, no one else was impressed .
OK, this is starting to sound like sour grapes for which I apologize. I have no beef with you, Tim, I will race you again, I now know what I'm dealing with, I'm glad to know that you are a capable and experienced driver, I am flattered that you trust me that much, and I'm open to your commentary and opinion. It's always a learning experience and I thank you for that and for being a sport. Please don't take this as a pissing match, that's not where I'm coming from.
In sport,
Franz
My initial thought was boy that was close, maybe a chop?? However I probably have the best video of that as I was the car Tim cut in front of to take the corner. At 1st Frank I was leaning with you on what you felt but after seeing the video I know better. However I'm 100% certain you would have done the same thing to me as you know that you can trust me not to foolishly block the move.

As I saw Tim coming I knew that he would do take as it was there for the taking and I had nothing left close the gap. I know I would have been trying to do the same thing. I few people saw the video and said, "good move, aggressive but good."

Last edited by Garylimey; 09-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: News from the Thunderbolt race?