Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car....Porsche or BMW?.......how to choose?......

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Track car....Porsche or BMW?.......how to choose?......

A friend of mine contacted me regarding his new acquired hobby.....

He has completed a Skip Barber 3-day racing school and has attended a BMW DE event...... by talking to him he sounds really psyched about DEs......

He is seriously looking to buy a prepped, local M3.....

I adviced him to not jump into anything yet since there is a lot of inventory out there and it would be worthwhile to check different options........

So some of the questions are:

1. How do you decide on a track car between Porsche and BMW?
Why did you decide to go with either a Porsche or a BMW?

2. Once you have decided on the "brand", how do you find a good track car?

He will probably be reading your responses, so please be kind ....... Thanks......
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
[B]1. How do you decide on a track car between Porsche and BMW?
Why did you decide to go with either a Porsche or a BMW?
I chose Porsche because I'd rather not see what I am going to hit.

Actually, there is just something about having the motor behind me that I fell in love with 28 years ago (74 914) and I can't see driving any other type of sports car.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in hearing additional comments as I am selling my fun BMW street car in favor of a track car and face the same dilema. Keeping the BMW DD for now.

Mike
Old 07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

A good starting point is what class you want to race in locally.....& is the BMW club or PCA races better supported locally....no sense in building or buying a killer whatever spec BMW-Porsche if nobody races in that class...

Of course if he's just looking for a fun car to drive DE's with.....then it doesn't matter as much.... One thing to consider is cost to run vs lap times comparison.....assuming similar lap times if one car burns tires-brakes-gas faster than the other.....it will end up costing a lot more to operate over time...

Of course I figured all of this out AFTER I bought my track car.....then proceeded to blow up my track car and spent quite a few track days in spec miatas.... yes my track car is "faster" than the miatas by about 8 seconds a lap...but those 8 seconds are VERY expensive....
Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Team Owner

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

For DE's, it really doesn't matter, Paolo. It is IMO more of a personal preference than thhat either car is "better". For racing (which you didn't mention), as Iceman says, he should look at which classes of BMW's and Porsches draw the biggest racing fields in your area, and then pick one or the other.

As for finding a good car, IMO maintenance records are very important, as are a preference by the previous owner of handling and safety modifications over go-fast engine parts or electric superchargers, IMO.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly the E36 (what I have) is probably one of the best balanced cars ever made as far as handling, weight, power, etc etc. You can do a decent amount of modifying at the car can handle it. You really don't run into problems on them unless you throw a big turbo kit on it or something. Having tracked both porsches and BMWs (as well as a few other japanese makes), I would take the E36 M3 over anything. I know it sounds bad but I loved the way the car handled. It was just an absolute dream to drive. It's the reason I bought the one I have, but now am forced to sell it due to needing a new engine for the spec miata.

Last edited by RonCT; 07-21-2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Non member ad within reply
Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
but now am forced to sell it due to needing a new engine for the spec miata.
Sounds like the miata must be a better track car if you are selling the M3
Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM
techno99
Racer

I track my E36M3 over my 993 C4S because of all the crap I can carry to the track and the fact that the cosumables on the BMW are much less. I enjoy driving both about the same and the lap times are very comparable.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Personal Preference. BMW is probably less $ to get into a car, but BMW DE tend to be more expensive (ie: $195 for PCA vs. $285). Consumables are probably close.

I'd suggest he start with a bone stock car. Street tires, pads, etc. Once he's sure he's sticking with it, then modify the car as he wants or then get a dedicated DE car.

My process worked out nicely. E46 M3 bone stock, then modified very slightly w/ fluid, pads, tires as I advanced, then changed to Porsche for a different platform experience, then modified from there.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

Originally Posted by Lemming
Sounds like the miata must be a better track car if you are selling the M3
its a better race car, not a better DE car. and besides, the OP only asked for BMW or Porsche
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Really Big Cheque Book --------- Ferrari

Big cheque Book ------------------ Porsche

Likkle Cheque Book -------------- BMW

Gay Cheque Book --------------- Miata
Old 07-21-2009, 05:54 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Actually the 944 makes a great affordable DE car. The funny thing is that comparing performance and track handling with a guy with a 325 ( R34?) at DE found our times and shift points were almost the same. With the hatch you can carry a spare set of tires and equipment.

There are a lot of spec 944 already prepped available for little money these days.

The reason I drive a 944S2 is due to a friend had one and I too wanted to go play

Being BMW or Porsche in the Northeast doesn't make much difference since both clubs play well together by letting each attend the others events. Club Racing? That is a different story.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
Honestly the E36 (what I have) is probably one of the best balanced cars ever made as far as handling, weight, power, etc etc. You can do a decent amount of modifying at the car can handle it. You really don't run into problems on them unless you throw a big turbo kit on it or something. Having tracked both porsches and BMWs (as well as a few other japanese makes), I would take the E36 M3 over anything. I know it sounds bad but I loved the way the car handled. It was just an absolute dream to drive. It's the reason I bought the one I have, but now am forced to sell it due to needing a new engine for the spec miata.
+1. I know several guys with E36s, and they are "all in" as DE-only cars for @$20-25K. For the money, they are a great deal. I still prefer Porsches and am comfortable spending more on the platform. Now if the choice was wide open to manufacturer, I'd look at a Mitsubishi Evo or even a Lotus Exige. Both are great track cars...

-B
Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
JClark
Instructor

Buying one particular car because that specific marque's club's DEs are $90 cheaper seems a little crazy to me. Especially when you arent obligated to attend either one over another.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
LDadrenaline
Racer

damn that much? I'm selling mine for $8500 and it only needs maybe $2k max to be ready for the track.

Quick Reply: Track car....Porsche or BMW?.......how to choose?......