Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car....Porsche or BMW?.......how to choose?......

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 03:04 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunATL
I recommend calling Bimmerworld. You can let them know what your plans/goals are for the car and they'll provide a setup (either all at once, or in "stages") to get it set up properly for you.
Thanks. I will check them out.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
So, Paolo - you have reached the 'my friends are asking me what kind of DE car to get' stage. I remember when you were asking those questions.
I guess you could say I am moving up in the world........

Have fun at Mosport......
Old 07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JDB25
Planning on attending second DE this weekend in the 330i. Already looking forward to it (which is why I'm up at almost 12:30 when I know I have to be back up in 5 hours).
Don't worry kid.........

We are going to have a ball.......
Old 07-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunATL
I recommend calling Bimmerworld. You can let them know what your plans/goals are for the car and they'll provide a setup (either all at once, or in "stages") to get it set up properly for you.
Agree 100%. They are good people.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDB25
So . . . I'm the guy considering what to do.
As many have already said - welcome to our addiction.
If I may - go spend more time on the track with your current car, look around at what others are driving, get some rides, and enjoy the process.
You may end up (like I did) getting a mid-80s 911, which are strong and relatively simple cars. No Porsche is inexpensive to maintain, but since they are generally built for the track, at least you can count on the car.
My 1984 coupe was great as a DE car; still suitable for the street so I could drive over to the mechanic, bed pads on the street, go to the gas station or to lunch while at the track, etc. Lowered, adjustable gas shocks, roll bar, Recaro SRD seats, etc.
Of course, I bought a trailer anyway! You will be going to away events soon, and its real nice to have a car that lets you bring your wife along (even if she doesn't drive on track); Watkins Glen, Mont Tremblant, and others are not to be missed. The BMW would fit that role nicely, too. We could do it in the 1984, but the trailer made it a whole lot easier.
I replaced the 1984 with a former club racer (993 - my mechanic still reminds me of how much simpler the 1984 was to maintain, but I love the 993).
Oh - don't hang out with Doc too much - his track enthusiasm knows no bounds! (kidding - he's a great guy).

Quick Reply: Track car....Porsche or BMW?.......how to choose?......