Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 F1 German GP Preview, Predictions and Discussion - No Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:16 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Well there's always 2 sides to most stories. He maintains that he thought RB was on his left and was moving over to the RHS where he unfortunately found RB. David Coulthard also mentioned that it shouldn't have even been a drive through penalty.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,209 Likes on 1,892 Posts

First off, Congrats to Webber. The top step of the podium had eluded him for a long time and it was well overdue. I think it was almost a foregone conclusion he would win after qualifying P1 and Vettel in 4th. More credit to him for having the drive through and still dominating the race.

I have to admit, I was hoping for some rain to make it more interesting today.

Ironic how last year at this time A. Wayne was making a big fuss over Kimi waking up after a hangover from the night before and always after his last pit stop and putting in a fast lap, then cruising around. Funny, it seems like Alonso is last year's version of Kimi

Is Alonso losing it? He used to be money when the pressure was on and he simply threw away an opportunity to qualify very high on Saturday with a spin. Then the spin on the warm up lap? You don't see that **** in DEs let alone F1??? Very strange. I wonder if he's given up on Renault now that Luca is calling.

Speaking of giving up, what's up with Hamilton wanting to give up and park the car a handful of laps into the race??? Talk about quiting on your team and giving up. Louise has exactly 9 points in 9 races. Use the track time to work on something. I don't fault him for coming in 18th if McLaren was truly doing something with their track time. There's no in season testing and I know they can't change parts during a race, but don't give up. What would you be saving the engine and gearbox for, exactly??? Maybe 2 points in Hungary? Sorry not the heart of a Lion and lucky to be handed a WDC last year on the last corner of the last lap.

Button and Brawn will be back and win the next race in Hungary.....
Old 07-13-2009, 02:36 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, and speaking of great TEAM guys.... Rubens is belly aching again..... Great comments toward the team for the 2nd half of the year Rubens. He must have gone to the Fernando Alonso school of motivational speaking

Barrichello fuming over team strategy
12 July 2009 / Results / Photos

A very distressed Rubens Barrichello explained how a complete miscalculation of strategy cost the Brawn GP team victory in Sunday's German Grand Prix. The Brazilian, who started the race second to pole winner and eventual victor Mark Webber, eventually finished the race sixth.

With Vettel, Massa, Rosberg and team-mate Jenson Button all getting ahead of Barrichello as a result of pit stops, the Brawn team failed to capitalise from a drive-through penalty for Mark Webber as the Red Bull team took another one-two result.

"Went wrong with the strategy," Barrichello told the BBC after the race. "I am very upset with our strategy from the team - [B]I did all I needed to do. They made me lose the race.[/B]
"This way, we are going to end up losing both championships. I wish I could just get on the plane back home; I don't want to talk to the team and listen to their 'bla bla'. Today was a good show of how to lose a race."
Old 07-13-2009, 02:46 AM
jgrant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, Rubens made some pretty bone-headed comments in a BBC interview right after the race.

Basically threw his team under the bus, assigning them 100% of the blame for the loss.

But it seems that Brawn has publicly shrugged it off.

http://www.f1complete.com/content/view/13464/900/

Jul.12 (GMM) Despite Sir Frank Williams believing Rubens Barrichello's post-race comments were a "red card offence", the Brazilian's own team boss has played down the outburst.

After leading early but ultimately finishing just sixth, 37-year-old Barrichello said the Nurburgring had been a "good show from the team on how to lose a race", adding he did not want to go to the post-race debrief because "it will be all 'bla bla bla'".

His former team boss Eddie Jordan was concerned the outburst was a "grave mistake", but Ross Brawn put it down to sheer frustration and "passion".

"That's a frustrated racing driver," said Brawn, when he heard about Barrichello's comments.

"When you get out of a car thinking you should have won a race, and you haven't got all the facts, that can happen.

"It's a passion some drivers have," he added, noting that Barrichello had not been kept fully informed during the race due to a faulty radio.

"Once he has calmed down ... sits down and looks at all the numbers he will realise we were too slow. There was no capacity to win the race," Brawn said.

In Brawn GP's official post-race media statement, Barrichello was quoted as saying the reasons for his failure to win "are now very clear to me having spoken to the team".
It was a very, very unprofessional thing for him (Rubens) to have done, and even David Coulthard, one of the BBC commentators now, was speachless over how unprofessional it was, and figured it very well might end his career. He also said "that sounds like a driver who doesn't have a ride for next year".

I feel for Rubens, but it's not like stuff like this is doing him any good.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
ooooo...I didn't know you were SO sensitive.

It's cute how you carry water for the other Alonsette man-crush here...you know, the person who has been claiming Alonsette is going to Ferrari for at least 4 years now.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach

Like I said ...

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Yeah, sure. As if the way you keep resorting to name calling didn't reflect of your own 'knowledge' of the sport.

Go on, have at it. He's going on to Ferrari eventually and then you'll have to watch him be WDC a third time!

But oh, that's right. Two WDC titles mean nothing to you anyway, since you're so 'knowledgeable.'
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Go on, have at it. He's going on to Ferrari eventually and then you'll have to watch him be WDC a third time!
When he gets to seven, please call
Old 07-13-2009, 09:11 AM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad I missed the Rubens whine.
Did he blame the team for getting Button out the pits so fast on the last pit stops that he got in front of Rubens as well.

How is it the teams fault that Webber did all those fast laps and Rubens didn't.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

{Luis de Prat}

Does A Wayne have an alias?

Great drive by Webber. His car was really hookup and he and the team did everything right. I noticed real exuberance when he was thrusting his arm in the air and waving to the crown on his victory lap. Congrats.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Webber did an awesome job yesterday, and over the entire weekend. It was long overdue. As far as the bumping with Barrichello, Webber stated that he thought that Rubens was coming down his left side, and that a deliberate move like that was not his style. His reputation as a tough to pass but clean driver clearly indicate that to be true. Glad to see that the drive-thru penalty merely added to the magnitude of his victory.

Only 1.5 points behind the wunderkin. This season just keeps getting more interesting.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Fantastic weekend by Webber. A completely deserved win through-and-through. I believe his recounting of the start contact with RB as being unintentional.

Red Bull also did well with Sebastian. After the first few laps, I was unsure he could get on the podium, but ending up P2 was pretty solid.

Massa’s podium was well-deserved as well. He did the best he could with that car and did use the KERS to help keep others behind, which is exactly what he should have done.

However, that is part of the problem with the racing this year. The seeming failure of the new rules to allow cars to run close together and not be heavily affected by dirty air, combined with certain of the slower cars (Kovaleinen) having KERS has resulted in many similar situations where a KERS cars gets ahead of faster cars at the start and then backs things up considerably allows big gaps to open up between cars which should be quite close. Not that I blame Heikki, he did exactly what he should have to maximize his car’s position, it just leads to less interesting racing.

However, the right guy did win!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

IIRC Rubens was at times significantly slower on the track than Webber. The team strategy may not have helped (nor the faultly fuel nozzle) but it did not appear to be his or Brawn's race to win this past w/e.

A very un-veteran move by RB to whine like that. I guess he knows his shots at the top spot on the podium are dwindling.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

The KERS is definitely keeping the slower cars in front of the faster guys during the race. On the start, it's a big help as seen from Hamilton's rocket up to the front with the use of KERS. It reminds me of 2005 and 06 when the Renaults were really good off the line off on the standing starts.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
The KERS is definitely keeping the slower cars in front of the faster guys during the race. On the start, it's a big help as seen from Hamilton's rocket up to the front with the use of KERS. It reminds me of 2005 and 06 when the Renaults were really good off the line off on the standing starts.
KERS is a stupid idea that does nothing more than increase costs.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
KERS is a stupid idea that does nothing more than increase costs.
+500,000,000volts

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

WWWF1 ................................ Nuff said ........................

Last edited by A.Wayne; 07-13-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 F1 German GP Preview, Predictions and Discussion - No Spoilers