Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In case I wasn't clear...

The main reason is that no one will step up and try to deal with Stroll. I'll up the ante even further. He is a SOLID GOLD S-O-B who doesn't care if ANYONE runs there.

END OF STORY.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
In case I wasn't clear...

The main reason is that no one will step up and try to deal with Stroll. I'll up the ante even further. He is a SOLID GOLD S-O-B who doesn't care if ANYONE runs there.

END OF STORY.
Years ago I heard stories of all bookings being tentative until you actually got on track because at any time he could just show up and decide he and his guests were going to use the track. In those cases payments would be refunded. I don't know if that is still happening.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Track hours depend on the event. No worries there.

I can only imagine how f'd up my SC would be after 6 hours.... :-)

Originally Posted by Brian P
I took a look at the "Rentals" section of lecircuit.com. Track hours are from 9AM - 5PM, so it would likely be very difficult to hold a 6 hour enduro unless the enduro contained the entire racing group. Otherwise, one group of cars gets a 6 hour enduro, and the other group gets a regular enduro (or a 60 minute enduro)

Of course, if my rule change suggestion on tag-team enduros gets approved, so that only half the cars are on the track at any given time, then a 6 hour enduro suddenly becomes possible.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

I'm an RSR member and I'm quite happy to see that kind of interest for a Club race at our home track!

The main reason behind the lack of club race is money. Please see the PCA RACE AT TREMBLANT Thread in the Rennlist Canada - Rennsport Region Forum. Bob is explaining the figures.

But since it's been a while we had a club race, I think that many of you guys could come up north and support us! In RSR, we are probably no more than 20 racers, maybe 30. We do 5-6 DE's a year and they're nearly always sold out.

And we have Bob. I think he lives at the track. He knows everything. We could have that Club Race with no noise restrictions (there are 5 or 6 weekend per year with no noise limitations).

An enduro would be cool too!

So make noise, we want that PCA race in Tremblant!

Thanks

C.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giacomo
Years ago I heard stories of all bookings being tentative until you actually got on track because at any time he could just show up and decide he and his guests were going to use the track. In those cases payments would be refunded. I don't know if that is still happening.
That does not happen anymore. Well not very often. The last time I saw something like taht was in 2007. It was CVR event and the owner decided to come drive is F430 Challenge (or 360...) in the black run group at his convenience (time of the day). So they had to change the schedule of everybody. So some guys miised their session because of that.

But otherwise, I think everything is fine. He nows reserves his own private days.

Maybe he'll come race with one of his Porsche... who knows...

C.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
FredC
Drifting

This is funny but one of my Montreal friends who was at the Tremblant DE yesterday and today told me (5 mins ago) that he spoke with a high ranking rennsport member this morning and learned that there is now official talk of a club race at tremblant for 2010.

So if you guys are going to put something together Charles, here are my thoughts:

3 day event + test/tune

Do it at the end of July when you won't compete against WG, VIR, and Road America (sorry Mosport...)

No noise restrictions

A 90 min enduro at minimum

2 sprints per run group

The above will help you attract a lot of people imho (I would go).

You will have to sort this out with the Mosport folks I guess....

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
Hi guys,

I'm an RSR member and I'm quite happy to see that kind of interest for a Club race at our home track!

The main reason behind the lack of club race is money. Please see the PCA RACE AT TREMBLANT Thread in the Rennlist Canada - Rennsport Region Forum. Bob is explaining the figures.

But since it's been a while we had a club race, I think that many of you guys could come up north and support us! In RSR, we are probably no more than 20 racers, maybe 30. We do 5-6 DE's a year and they're nearly always sold out.

And we have Bob. I think he lives at the track. He knows everything. We could have that Club Race with no noise restrictions (there are 5 or 6 weekend per year with no noise limitations).

An enduro would be cool too!

So make noise, we want that PCA race in Tremblant!

Thanks

C.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Giacomo
Pro

Perhaps a club race that alternates Mosport to LCMT year to year.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
This is funny but one of my Montreal friends who was at the Tremblant DE yesterday and today told me (5 mins ago) that he spoke with a high ranking rennsport member this morning and learned that there is now official talk of a club race at tremblant for 2010.

So if you guys are going to put something together Charles, here are my thoughts:

3 day event + test/tune

Do it at the end of July when you won't compete against WG, VIR, and Road America (sorry Mosport...)

No noise restrictions

A 90 min enduro at minimum

2 sprints per run group

The above will help you attract a lot of people imho (I would go).

You will have to sort this out with the Mosport folks I guess....

See pictures of the DE on the RSR forum here!

Fred, you're suggestions are quite good. Our management is quite experienced, so I think they'll be able to prepare something great that will look like that.

My only concern is to be able to have one weekend for thw club race. Currently, RSR has 5 events at Tremblant and only one is during the weekend. It means that probably the event will have to run in conjunction with another group's weekend...

This year, July has 2 events: Ferrari Festival and the Summit of Legends. PCA has its Mosport race at the end of July. It's going to be tough to schedule something in there. But maybe next year is going be different. The legends are not always there... Let's hope!

C.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:10 PM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 319 Likes on 261 Posts

The reason that there is no club race is that they are watching what happens at Mosport and don't want to lose their shirts.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a former Montrealer (McGill grad) I would love to venture back, and wouldn't miss a Club Race if it were held up there.
As with Mosport, because it's a long haul for most, the Club Racer turnout would suffer. It would play into our hands to do a Club Race in conjunction with Advanced DE sessions to fill out the roster.
I might have just the right person to get this launched. Be back in a day.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
This year, July has 2 events: Ferrari Festival and the Summit of Legends. PCA has its Mosport race at the end of July. It's going to be tough to schedule something in there. But maybe next year is going be different. The legends are not always there... Let's hope!

C.
Tough I know. But anything close to WG and VIR calendar wise will make the event a non-starter. An event at the end of sept, early oct could work coming to think of it. July preferable....I say this because I believe that a big *** CR event at tremblant has the potential to draw from both the northeat and upper midwest (and more). Competing against marquee events (mosport aint one of them... Just look at attendance records) is not a good idea. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Some details in this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/rennspor...tremblant.html
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's my thoughts...

1) Run the event every other year or every third year. For the years where there is no race, run a DE instead.

2) I think given how infrequently the race would be run, you could charge more than the standard $500-600 that a sprint race + enduro race usually brings in. I would aim for $700 total.

3) Don't schedule near the following races: Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road America. Everything else is fair game. If the event isn't run every year, then convincing the Mosport folks to alternate the race dates might be an option.

4) Given how amazing the nearby town is, you may be able to schedule a midweek race and that should significantly cut the costs of the event. I know that my family would enjoy spending the entire week at Mt. Tremblant, so I would have a very flexible schedule.

5) If t-shirts and other door prizes cost a lot, I'm willing to skip that.

6) Allow racers to donate miles and hotel points to pay for the PCA staff that have to be flown in and housed. I bet that many racers have tons of unused miles/points and would be more than willing to contribute (especially if they received some nominal discount)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Giacomo
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian P
Here's my thoughts...

3) Don't schedule near the following races: Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road America. Everything else is fair game.
Good suggestions all around, but Sebring? The Laurentians in February are very scenic but average datime temp. is likely around 0 degrees F, in the evening subract 20 degrees.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good suggestions, Brian, and I'd love to persue this as well.
Here's what my inside source is telling me, although he/she prefers not to get involved, for logistic reasons:

I tend to agree with John Hajny. I've heard many times the guy at Tremblant is very hard to deal with!
My suggestion is... for someone to contact Bob Rouleau in Rennsport Region. He is in charge of the DE events. I'm sure Bob would be willing to entertain this idea, if there is enough racer interest.
Their current President is Michael Delaney. Bob and Michael's contact information can be found on the Rennsport website.
I think it would be a good idea to alternate club races between Mosport and Mt. Tremblant.
To set the record straight, in recent years, UCR hasn't lost much money hosting on the CanAm Challenge. Three out of four years we made a profit and had a great time! Also, a small profit was made in 2008 by the new Race Chair. Before 2004, the Mosport race had some financial concerns.

Quick Reply: Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?