Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
I think it would be a good idea to alternate club races between Mosport and Mt. Tremblant.
To set the record straight, in recent years, UCR hasn't lost much money hosting on the CanAm Challenge. Three out of four years we made a profit and had a great time! Also, a small profit was made in 2008 by the new Race Chair. Before 2004, the Mosport race had some financial concerns.

I think alternating between the two would be good for both as people are more likely to attend when they know it will be a while before the race is at that track again.

I'm impressed that they made a profit in 2008 since turnout was so low (due to the VIR race being scheduled a week after Mosport)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:37 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, well don't forget that they run that Club Race concurrent with an Advanced DE group.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:59 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I also ran the club race in 99 and it was awesome, I would love to race there again. It's a great place to race because you can bring your family and they can stay in the resort town.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys,

I will take the idea of a Club Race to the Rennsport Board. There is also a Thread in the Rennsport region forum in the Canada section.

A few things:

1) Night racing is not possible - noise restrictions force the track to shut down at 5 PM. No lights either.

2) The owner is not a problem, for Rennsport at least. There were some issues 7 - 8 years ago, but not since.

3) The track was renovated after the parade race and is far better than it was, built to current FIA specs, i.e. a lot safer than Mosport for example.

4) It is an ideal venue since it is located in the middle of a 4 seasons resort - as someone pointed out, superb for families and the hotels are located only 5 minutes from the track. That's is another huge plus compared to other locations in the North East.

The biggest problem is scheduling. The track is busy, although the loss of the Champ Car series should leave a hole. On the other hand it makes sense to schedule it in a complimentary way to the Glen and Mosport. That way drivers can make a circuit - take a holiday and participate in several races within a 5-6 hour drive.

I can't say it will happen but I think the idea has merit.

Best,
Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for stepping up, Bob!
You have our total support and encouragement.
Keep us posted of developments.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth... My wife was thinking of coming up to the Mosport race with me this year and bringing the kids along. When I told her that there was a possibility of a race at Mt. Tremblant next year, she immediately said that she'll skip Mosport and hold out for next year.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys!

Let's show your support to a Mt-Tremblant PCA Club Race for the 2010 season. RSR region will have to make a decision soon. If you show support, it might become a reality.

Tx.

C.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Got my support!
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys here is the latest:

The RSR Board is favorably disposed to a Club Race providing we are confident that we will not lose a lot of Club money.

OTOH, UCR Mosport lost $6,000 on the 2009 event in spite of having $15,000 in sponsorship!

We need a date which not only does not conflict with the Glen and perhaps UCR Mosport but when Le Circuit is not subject to noise restrictions. A Club Race with mufflers and 30 cars maximum on track is a non-starter.

As of now, the track manager does not have a date for us within the "noise days" the track is allowed. Perhaps Champ Car or whatever it is called now is coming back this summer?

Right now it does not look too good. I was surprised that UCR lost money in spite of having a DE (touring) group and nice sponsorship. It is also evident that having to pay for National people to come and run the event is very costly - airfare, hotels, rental cars, meals and whatever else.

I'll will update this thread if anything changes in our favor. The major obstacle is securing a date - noise allowed.

Regards,
Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys here is the latest:

The RSR Board is favorably disposed to a Club Race providing we are confident that we will not lose a lot of Club money.

As of now, the track manager does not have a date for us within the "noise days" the track is allowed. Perhaps Champ Car or whatever it is called now is coming back this summer?

Regards,
Maybe the Rennchums could sponsor the event (they will kill me )

Bob, I'm pretty sure you can work out your magic with the track manager!

I keep my fingers crossed!

C.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought the Mosport event was under-attended - compared to years previous. The paddock had fewer cars and so did the run groups.

A $6k loss isn't that bad - at $500 per entry, that's only 12 drivers.

If Tremblant was on a weekend that I could make it, I'd definitely go.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:47 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 'm in ! count on my $
Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I'm definitely in. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I'm willing to attend a mid-week event. The track is that incredible. So, you name the date, and I'll make my schedule fit it.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:04 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a 2-day, mid-week DE at LCMT a few years ago and thought the track and area was awesome. If there was a CR at Tremblant, it would be on my schedule. And I'm sure my Dad would drive in a DE.

Quick Reply: Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?