Notices

PCA Race at Mt. Tremblant

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:27 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA Race at Mt. Tremblant

Is there a simple answer as to why there isn't a PCA Club Race at Mt. Tremblant? Would seem to make an obvious choice between the The Glen and Mosport races...
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Hi Dave, there are several answers:

1) The cost. For whatever reason, PCA feels that regions are incapable of running a race without their help. As a result, the host region has to pay travel and expenses for everyone national deems necessary to run a race.

Add to that the fact that Tremblant is costly to rent, $8,500 on Thursday and $14,500 for each of Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The track supplies flaggers - at least 12 at $100 a day each.

Let's throw in the expected trophies, T-Shirts that all participants have come to expect and the bill gets pretty heavy.

Lastly some regions get sponsorship for a race. LCMT has an interesting view of sponsorship and takes the lions share.

2) Facing a financial loss, Rennsport looks at how many members would participate and it looks like a dozen or so. Can the Club take a financial loss to benefit so few?

Having said all that, one of the local dealers has indicated a desire to sponsor and I will be talking to Le Circuit management to see if there might be a way.

Using loose numbers I come up to a cost of around $80,000 to host the race (including ambulance at $1,025 per day) and PCA insurance of course plus I figure another 10 grand for travel, rental cars, hotels and meals for the National guys who must be there to run the event.

Say we get 150 entries, it works out to an entry fee of around $535 per. Would that fly in this economy?

Note this is my opinion only and not that of Rennsport Region as this has not been discussed at the board. By the way, I would love to see a Club race at our home track!

Best,
Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

hmm...I just signed up for Mosport and that was $500 US. They will get at least 150 racers (there were about 230 at the Glen!). I think you'd be surprised at how many would come if it's the right time of the year and in the right part of the schedule (before or after Mosport)...Daytona is the worst one for the PCA in terms of cost, but that region somehow pulls it off and their entry fees aren't that much different than the rest. And Daytona is a great track, but a complete dump for the family. Tremblant on the other hand...
Old 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey! You can count on me! 535$ for 4 days? Please sign me in right away!

I wish we have a race at home! Many guys from the US dont' come to our DE's because of the noise regulation. But for a Club Race, there's no noise regulation (has to work with the schedule of the track though). Guys that want to come to Tremblant for a while will surely be there!

So what's the date?

C.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

I will bring it up at the board. Lauzon is interested in being a sponsor. Meantime see me about a PCA Race license first
Old 06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, you're right! I'll need that! Is it a complicated procedure?

Thumbs up for Lauzon I hope they do the move...

C.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Go to pca.org find the forms. I have to send an endorsement to Susan Shire who manages the program. You will need a medical certificate too.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
You will need a medical certificate too.

hahahaha, I'm sure that will go well, Charles, cut down on the beer before the exam
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Dave, there are several answers:

1) The cost. For whatever reason, PCA feels that regions are incapable of running a race without their help. As a result, the host region has to pay travel and expenses for everyone national deems necessary to run a race.
Hi Bob,
I'm pretty sure that National PCA absorbs part of the travel costs. I believe that the region is responsible only for hotel and meal costs. If you didn't have national doing the scrutineering, timing and scoring and stewarding the race, who would do it?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Bob - can you put a poll on the Racers and Drivers Ed forum about whether racers would come? I bet you'll get a good response.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fryd
Bob - can you put a poll on the Racers and Drivers Ed forum about whether racers would come? I bet you'll get a good response.

Good Idea!

C.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

David, before I put up a poll, I need to seek approval of the board at least in principle. I will take this up at the next exec. There are no dates at LCMT for a club race left this season so we are taling 2010 in any case.

Best,
Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I will bring it up at the board.
Sounds good.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

oh oooh! It looks like there is at least one approval!

I'm really looking forward that event. It would be nice if it could be in July or August. And if we could have one of our DE in conjunction with it too.

C.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

How do I get elected on the board so I contribute??

Quick Reply: PCA Race at Mt. Tremblant