Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?

The track is awesome, it has an incredible resort nearby, and has one of the scariest turns of any track in North America.

Do we not have a club race there because of the track management, or is it a lack of effort from our side?
Old 06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lack of effort is my guess. You and I know that NNJR has little interest in any Club Race, for example.
I'd go there in a heartbeat, the whole place has recently been upgraded, maybe the Canadians don't want us to know about it.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

I raced Formula Dodges there. Would be a great home for a club race.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I did the club race there back in 1999 when it was held in conjunction with the Parade. If I recall, the asphalt was still orginal back to the F1 days, something the locals were proud of. They still had the old control tower, which was only usable on the first floor because of the condition it was in. I remember having to learn it in the pouring down rain during the DE.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

May be noise related among other things. I know I ran my muffler at several DE's there to stay out of trouble. It is easy for me to put a muffler on, maybe not so for most racers.

I would love to race there.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:54 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not so sure about the noise question....there was a Champ Car (aka Indy) race there in 2004(?) and the Ferrari Challenge series is there...
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise is a problem, but;

The real problem is the owner. He is a Gold Plated SOB.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Is this something that could be done by the Zone 1 group if somebody volunteered to handle the logistics? (I'm assuming that Pete doesn't have the appetite to manage 2 club races)

My family (and extended family) keeps asking if I'll race there as they absolutely loved the resort when we went for a DE. It's an easy sell for the family to make it a week long vacation.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Noise is a problem, but;

The real problem is the owner. He is a Gold Plated SOB.
I've heard that as well. But, is he opposed to Porsches racing there or has nobody broached the subject?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Giacomo
Pro

When I last lived in Canada I remember that Rennsport region (Montreal and Quebec area) did several DEs there every year and I joined NER for one event in May. I think there was also another DE during the Tremblant Jazz weekend although I never got to it. The events would fill quickly and were more expensive than your average DE due to higher track rentals. Since I suspect that every summer weekend is booked the most practical way to hold a club race would be for one of the regions who has an existing summer weekend to convert that to a club race and get track ownership and PCA approval. That could mean that they might trade a money making DE event for a money losing club race. Otherwise, I suspect a region could try to convince the owner to bump another booking and give PCA a race. In either event, a region would have to step up and be on the hook for the expenses. I'm not aware of issues with track management against races, other than noise restrictions, because there are some vintage races held there. The owner had several Ferrari's at the track for his enjoyment and that of his guests but I never heard he was anti-Porsche, although I did hear that they would not rent to anyone and were looking for more prestigious events. This may be very outdated info as it's been four years since I've been up that way.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

As a Montrealer... and big fan of Mont Tremblant, I would love for a Zone 1 to host a club race up there (Rennsport won't do it, there are simply not enough racers up there). I think what would be amazing is a big time event with a real enduro of 6 hours or more... Also note that there are very few weekends were dB levels are free. The owner of the track, Strohl (who is the man behind the success Tommy Hilfiger enjoyed in the 90s), will make you pay for armco...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giacomo
That could mean that they might trade a money making DE event for a money losing club race.
I wish I understood why DE's are money making and races are not. The race entry fees are usually much larger than the DE entry fees. I think if the race were held every other year (or every three years), they could probably charge enough to make it break even with their DE event.

For example, if there was a race at Mt. Tremblant once every three years, I think they could probably charge around $500 for the sprint races and another $200-$300 for the enduro.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

From the national committee's perspective, we'd love to have a PCA club race at Mt. Tremblant. However, for that to happen, a PCA region or zone must step up and offer to host the event. The only time the national committee has become involved in the negotiations with the track, seeking to convince them to let us hold a club race there, was with Daytona International Speedway. The folks at Daytona really only wanted to work with the national committee and in fact the original negotiation was between their VP and PCA's national president. However, even with Daytona we had two regions run the race.

From what I've read and heard, Mt. Tremblant is a great track. If someone in a region in that general area is interested in moving this along, please contact me at clubracingchair@pca.org.

Bruce Boeder
Old 06-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FredC
As a Montrealer... and big fan of Mont Tremblant, I would love for a Zone 1 to host a club race up there (Rennsport won't do it, there are simply not enough racers up there). I think what would be amazing is a big time event with a real enduro of 6 hours or more... Also note that there are very few weekends were dB levels are free. The owner of the track, Strohl (who is the man behind the success Tommy Hilfiger enjoyed in the 90s), will make you pay for armco...
I took a look at the "Rentals" section of lecircuit.com. Track hours are from 9AM - 5PM, so it would likely be very difficult to hold a 6 hour enduro unless the enduro contained the entire racing group. Otherwise, one group of cars gets a 6 hour enduro, and the other group gets a regular enduro (or a 60 minute enduro)

Of course, if my rule change suggestion on tag-team enduros gets approved, so that only half the cars are on the track at any given time, then a 6 hour enduro suddenly becomes possible.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Giacomo
Pro

In the Great White North, where track demand is high given the short good weather season, you either keep the same weekend every year or risk losing it altogether. At least that is the case at Mosport, every weekend is booked and usually the same groups show up same weekend every year. Give up that weekend and you may never see it again. I presume a similar situation exists at LCMT since their season is even shorter. Holding a race every two or three years is likely only an option if you are holding DEs on the off years so you can keep the weekend. This would require a region with an existing DE weekend to run with it.

I fully agree with Brian P that it doesn't have to be a money losing proposition but it is a more expensive proposition so if it's not well executed, you must be at least prepared for the chance you may lose money. Since there are not too many local racers in the area, the race will have to draw from the NE and beyond. Checking the PCA calendar and there are not many summer weekends that aren't close to other big races (Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, Mosport, VIR, Road America). It would need some committed members from either Zone 1 or one of the nearby regions to pull it off. It would be nice to see.

Quick Reply: Why is there no club race at Mt. Tremblant?