Ramblings from Clash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
2008 997 rsr
I went over to say "Hi" to Christian (car owner) on Sunday morning. Just standing next to that car made my heart race.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool - I love the new RSRs

thanks!

Norm
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
So, the $64,000 dollar question: Who's glad there was an enduro instead of 4 sprints?? Did you all vote at the driver's meeting for next year's format??
I like Pete and thinks he puts on an incredible event that must take an extraordinary amount of work. As such, I'm sure he has good reasons for wanting to have 4 sprints instead of an enduro.

That being said... I'd rather have an enduro as it's a completely different kind of race than a sprint race. The sprint is all about trying to put together a succession of fast laps. You don't have to worry about how to handle slower (lapped) traffic or how to be lapped without giving up time. You don't have to figure out when's a good time to pit or how to time your pit stop correctly.

I would rather have 2 different types of races rather than 4 of the same thing.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
I suck at Watkins Glen.
Gee, thanks.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Enduro all the way. After Saturdays yellows the enduro was awesome. There was only about 10 minutes that I wasn't racing someone. The last 20 minutes or so I had a 944 #28 glued to my bumper. It was incredible fun just trying to get my best lap and make ZERO mistakes after running my hardest and longest to keep him behind me. Really really really an excellent experience. 90 minutes feels like a race. PCA's sprints are pretty long but I really like the enduros.

Thanks to Mark Lee and John Haas for crewing Scott and I in the enduro. Crewing is fun. It's pretty intense. Good to get the total experience.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
I like Pete and thinks he puts on an incredible event that must take an extraordinary amount of work. As such, I'm sure he has good reasons for wanting to have 4 sprints instead of an enduro.

That being said... I'd rather have an enduro as it's a completely different kind of race than a sprint race. The sprint is all about trying to put together a succession of fast laps. You don't have to worry about how to handle slower (lapped) traffic or how to be lapped without giving up time. You don't have to figure out when's a good time to pit or how to time your pit stop correctly.

I would rather have 2 different types of races rather than 4 of the same thing.
Despite the results of the Purple enduro, I still vote for enduro over 2 additional sprints. Actually because of yesterday's enduro results, I vote for a 2 hour enduro!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I must say that the racing in the enduro Mark mentioned above was some of the best and closest racing I have enjoyed in a long time. After the last couple years of being out of stock class racing and a year of being out of racing altogether, that race vividly reminded me why I love this sport so much. I caught myself chuckling out loud on the long drive home thinking about how much fun it was. A month ago I was really down about the whole idea of racing. Now I can't wait til VIR.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian P
Nice work Mark!!! Sorry to have held you up going into the bus stop as I didn't realize that you were chasing down somebody in G.

Next year, I'll hopefully not have some GTC2 cars holding me up and I'll get down to that 2:12 area with you. I'll probably be following you when that happens though

Like I said, I had to mention it to you. I'm just happy to have been close to you guys. Maybe next year I can keep all of the E and F cars behind me.

I knew that GTC2 car was making you nuts.

Originally Posted by John H
I must say that the racing in the enduro Mark mentioned above was some of the best and closest racing I have enjoyed in a long time. After the last couple years of being out of stock class racing and a year of being out of racing altogether, that race vividly reminded me why I love this sport so much. I caught myself chuckling out loud on the long drive home thinking about how much fun it was. A month ago I was really down about the whole idea of racing. Now I can't wait til VIR.
It's good to have you back in G, John. You were really hard to pass/keep behind me. It's that kind of racing that will make us all faster.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
This just in...FredC is fast, really fast. Fred reeled me back in with each passing lap after his spin. He finally caught me in the bus stop on the last lap. I got a good run on him in the toe and tried to pass him on the outside. Everything was going perfect until I hit the grass with my left rear and spun 1.5 times without hitting the armco or Fred (yes, I am blessed). I'll post the video, it's pretty funny to see all that blue passing by my windshield as I spin.
You HAVE to put that video up on Vimeo, it is friggin HILARIOUS!!!! You should narrate it like you did in the trailer when we watched it...
Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No question about it for me: Enduro.
For all the reasons you guys say, and a few more.
And by the way; Purple went the whole way without a full course yellow.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
And by the way; Purple went the whole way without a full course yellow.
Wrong! Ask me how I know!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:21 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait, we did, didn't we?
NO, my mistake; I meant orange!
They changed my group to orange, I was originally supposed to be purple.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I went over to say "Hi" to Christian (car owner) on Sunday morning. Just standing next to that car made my heart race.
Did you notice what size the tires were on the car? Clearly they can't be running the current ALMS spec Michelins. Was it just on "cup" tires?

It sure was sexy. If it is their team car from last season I have one of their banged up front wheels in my garage.

Last edited by Mike Buck; 06-02-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Code brown

My first code brown moment in a PCA race. It figures it happens in the same race that I need to finish clean to get the rookie X off my car. Coming around the Toe of the boot a 944 hits the wall and proceeds to bounce to mid track Thank goodness for my Schumacher-like reflexes ( wife still trying to clean the seat of my driving suit as we speak )

http://vimeo.com/4955203
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scott i almost pooped myself watching that. Nice work. Seemed like a lot of 944s were sitting in the grave yard this year. Lots of oil spills this year as well. I am still picking the oil dry out of my eyes from turn 11 : )

Quick Reply: Ramblings from Clash at the Glen