Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramblings from Clash at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome weekend, with feroceous racing in 944SC (PCA SP3). In Sprint 1 Katz and Laputka walked away from us in their turbos, Laputka conspicuously fast up the straight, Savill keeping the pace, as Stadt and I went at it passing and repassing with each lap, very equally matched. Very sorry to see Savill on his roof down the chute, then race ended with me 4th on the road. Both turbos were DQ'd for upgraded chips, handing Stadt the win and me 2nd. Will post edited video action soon.
Sprint 2 had me and Stadt on front row, Laputka gone home, Katz charging from the rear took only two laps to get to the front! Stadt and I go at it again, with SP2's of Jakubowski and Comat mixing in. Latter dive bombs me insanely at bus stop, my evasion kept us in it. To the checker it's Katz, Stadt, Celenza.
Enduro 1 on Sunday puts me and Katz on front row, Stadt gone home. Jaku and Comat start out like a sprint, trying to stay with Katz, after 10 laps they're tires seem cooked and I reel both in and pace to the finish, 2nd behind Katz and out of there with the points lead.
Wondering what happened to Paolo, didn't seem to last long in Sprint 2. ??
Fantastic machinery on hand at Fahrnbacher/Loles, TRG, Kelly Moss, Dawes, and DeMan.
Most fantastic pit party both Fri and Sat night catered by Gary Palombo and his gang, gorgeous sundowns and fantastic food.
Seemed like a lot of wrecks, but that's often the case with the blue bushes at Watkins Glen.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pedro! Indeed violent... Thankfully you are ok and the car is likely repairable....

Gary!!! Oh Man....! I am SO glad to hear you are OK. Cliche, but it is so true that cars get replaced. Drivers don't.

Believe me, I went through the same last October when I destroyed my 968 at Pocono South after the ball joint pin broke. I certainly share your pain on the material loss. As you comment, my custom welded cage and Hybrid H&N likely saved my life as well. But regardless of it all, you wallked away, and are already figuring how to replace your ride..... that shows the soul is not broken!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or help in any way. One thing I do regret, is that I did not have the opportunity to race with you.... A few days back, Pete and I were just talking about how well you were running at NJMP recently....

Great you are ok. And you are braver than I was; I did not even make the pictures public.....

You'll race again soon....
Old 06-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Garylimey
Racer

I spoke today to the guy following as well as the corner workers, they all said the same thing that the video showed. The car started drifting away when the tyres went on me. The corner worker thought at 1st that I had caught it but as it drifted accross onto the rumble strips my efforts became void as the balance of the car was now gone and it spun big time. She (the corner worker) said my car was repelled more than 6ft into the air after hitting the tyre wall. The video shows the grass on the other side of the wall while its rotating in the air. She said it then landed on the drivers side of the roof and then rolled. My helmet has several cracks in it and a dent from the roof impact. HJC SI 12 is truely a fantastic safe helmet.

Here's a few pic's of a great car which deserved a better cage!!!
Now you know why my neck and chest hurts to much and why my head was pushed forward and was trapped untill the rescue team arrived, who by the way were absolutely brilliant, special thanks to those guy's!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
Pedro! Indeed violent... Thankfully you are ok and the car is likely repairable....

Gary!!! Oh Man....! I am SO glad to hear you are OK. Cliche, but it is so true that cars get replaced. Drivers don't.

Believe me, I went through the same last October when I destroyed my 968 at Pocono South after the ball joint pin broke. I certainly share your pain on the material loss. As you comment, my custom welded cage and Hybrid H&N likely saved my life as well. But regardless of it all, you wallked away, and are already figuring how to replace your ride..... that shows the soul is not broken!

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you or help in any way. One thing I do regret, is that I did not have the opportunity to race with you.... A few days back, Pete and I were just talking about how well you were running at NJMP recently....

Great you are ok. And you are braver than I was; I did not even make the pictures public.....

You'll race again soon....
Thanks Pablo, fortunately we are both still here . You are so right about walking away. However I am a dumb Brit and can't wait to race again.
I actually looked at a car on the way home that provided my Mini sale goes ok I will being driving it at G52 in 2 weeks and racing a few days later in the 944SuperCup, but I will not be taking any advise from any tyre rep's this time !!!

Thank you too, to all my new friends that I have made here and at the track that have shared their concerns, I appreciate it very much and look forward to seeing you at the next event.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:14 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

For what it's worth Gary, congrats on your Super Cup Glen track record set on Saturday. Hope you can rejoin us soon, there are more records to break..
Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Garylimey
Racer

Originally Posted by 944Cup
For what it's worth Gary, congrats on your Super Cup Glen track record set on Saturday. Hope you can rejoin us soon, there are more records to break..
Thanks Dave, at least my car went out leaving it's mark. (literally LOL!!)
If all goes well I will be at NJMP in 3 weeks racing with SuperCup again.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S.
I watched Saturdays sprint. I do not have results sheets, but do know this. FredC won both sprint races in D. The guy is quite the talent IMO. On lap 1 of Sprint 1, he spun. I'll bet he lost 15 positions from being #2 into the 1st turn. Perhaps he lost 20 seconds. Sean Foster took the D lead. FredC begins is assault and starts picking off people every lap. Guess who passes Sean on the last lap....FredC.

Mike
This just in...FredC is fast, really fast. Fred reeled me back in with each passing lap after his spin. He finally caught me in the bus stop on the last lap. I got a good run on him in the toe and tried to pass him on the outside. Everything was going perfect until I hit the grass with my left rear and spun 1.5 times without hitting the armco or Fred (yes, I am blessed). I'll post the video, it's pretty funny to see all that blue passing by my windshield as I spin.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
This just in...FredC is fast, really fast.
Fred is awesome. He made one pass on the outside of 1 through the grass 4 wheels off in the enduro yesterday that was insane. No wonder that guy wins so many Workers' Choice awards!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Sean, you had to be sleeping at the wheel for me to catch you. Traffic doesn't help either. You had a great run on me at the toe, you could have had me there. That video of your spin is hilarious. You must have been within a few inches of the guard rail.

Originally Posted by Sean F
This just in...FredC is fast, really fast. Fred reeled me back in with each passing lap after his spin. He finally caught me in the bus stop on the last lap. I got a good run on him in the toe and tried to pass him on the outside. Everything was going perfect until I hit the grass with my left rear and spun 1.5 times without hitting the armco or Fred (yes, I am blessed). I'll post the video, it's pretty funny to see all that blue passing by my windshield as I spin.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Fred is awesome. He made one pass on the outside of 1 through the grass 4 wheels off in the enduro yesterday that was insane. No wonder that guy wins so many Workers' Choice awards!
Your 2:05.4 isn't too shabby either, Charlie.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 199 Posts

Gary,
Please explain the custom addition to your cage that was so helpful. What additions would you make on your next car?
Glad you are ok.
Thanks,
Gregg
Old 06-01-2009, 09:59 AM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Charlie, i couldn't stay to watch your enduro. I must admit that i was surprised by the result. Were there double yellows that changed the running order? You did a great job all weekend!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 275 Posts

Double yellows affected the two enduros in the afternoon. The announcers predicted the winners after 25 minutes in both races.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:53 AM
ajenks144
Instructor

Originally Posted by FredC
Charlie, i couldn't stay to watch your enduro. I must admit that i was surprised by the result. Were there double yellows that changed the running order? You did a great job all weekend!
Hey Fred,

You looked great out there this weekend! I got lucky in the purple enduro. A car went off in Turn 8 and I knew they would have to go double yellow to get him out so I dove in the pits. I was only 1 of 2 cars that got in before they closed the pits.

Charlie and Colin had me covered as far as lap times go but the timing worked out for me this time.

-Andy
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
FredC
Drifting

Smart move. Such a decision is critical to winning enduros. Good stuff and congrats on the overall win!

Originally Posted by ajenks144
Hey Fred,

You looked great out there this weekend! I got lucky in the purple enduro. A car went off in Turn 8 and I knew they would have to go double yellow to get him out so I dove in the pits. I was only 1 of 2 cars that got in before they closed the pits.

Charlie and Colin had me covered as far as lap times go but the timing worked out for me this time.

-Andy

Quick Reply: Ramblings from Clash at the Glen